Anyone going back to a Tesla?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I think I just heard a mic drop somewhere

Can’t argue with your points. It’s making me rethink my wanting to dump my tesla….a bit. I guess grass is always greener?
(M)eh. Not all of us want or need the same things (in the same order) from a given car. Don’t let anyone else tell you how you should spend your money.
Sponsored

Yamill

First Name
Yamill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
My Taycan is in the service center for the 4th time for an unresolved issue with the charging port. I never had one issue with my model 3 in the 3 years that I owned it. I can see why people would go back to Tesla. I do love my Taycan though I think the handling and suspension is unmatched

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I had a 2021 4S that I got rid of for a 2023 Model Y Performance. Prior to the Taycan I had a Model 3 Performance and three other Porsches before that.

I dumped the Taycan because in about 15 months it was in service for 60+ days, and no matter which service center I went to, I was never happy with the experience. The problems with the car were all over the place but mostly software and hardware failures (same component multiple times) and a ton of rattles. I only want EV and one with vegan interior, so I went with a Model Y Performance which Tesla delivered to my door at no additional charge. I loved it immediately. Of course they are everywhere (so are iPhones like the one I’m using now) and it doesn’t feel “luxury” at all, but until you own one, I don’t think you can understand why it works/why they’re so popular.

- Software that just works. Consistently
- fast response for the touch display- as fast as a current iPhone moving around the options
- Doors lock and unlock when you leave or approach
- No physical key needed
- One pedal driving
- Quicker than my $150k 4S which you use every day— no launch mode needed
- Autopilot (I had Porsche’s and it was not good)
- Sound system (I had Bose and Tesla’s is better IMHO)
- I can drive it around the city I live in and park on the street and not have any worries about it whatsoever- they’re everywhere!
- Even though it has storage for days, it’s much smaller than the 4S, so it’s easier to park (yes, I even had rear wheel steering)
- Dog mode - I use it almost every day
- Sentry mode/dashcam, ability to see video from anywhere
- supercharger network
- no dealerships
- mobile service

I think there may be more, but those are top of mind. I don’t really miss the Porsche TBH, though I do miss the air suspension- Tesla’s suspension is not great. I don’t miss getting to know my service advisor so well; my experience with Tesla service on this car has been fantastic- like just hanging out/waiting while they actually fix a rattle, or adjust a door after delivery. That’s about it- no major issues.

All that said, I’m on the list for a Macan EV, but will have to see what the new Model Y (Juniper) brings to the table.
Funny timing on this post. I was just scrolling through Reddit and saw a post from a Tesla owner complaining about the terrible Auto-Wiper software. In the comments section other Tesla owners pile on about other things the Tesla software is bad at. I’m not posting this to bash Tesla but to provide perspective that all cars have pros and cons. It sounds like you had a rough go of it with your Taycan and that sucks, but Tesla is certainly no panacea. Here’s a link to the post

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Funny timing on this post. I was just scrolling through Reddit and saw a post from a Tesla owner complaining about the terrible Auto-Wiper software. In the comments section other Tesla owners pile on about other things the Tesla software is bad at. I’m not posting this to bash Tesla but to provide perspective that all cars have pros and cons. It sounds like you had a rough go of it with your Taycan and that sucks, but Tesla is certainly no panacea. Here’s a link to the post
I don’t have the problem, but you can disable auto wipers. That’s a comparatively minor issue vs. something like heaters not working 😀

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/porsches-ev-blows-away-tesla-120000322.html

Porsche makes an excellent car and a mediocre EV
Tesla makes an excellent EV and a mediocre car
Porsche is as good at mechanical engineering as Tesla is at software
Tesla is as good at mechanical engineer as Porsche is at software

the two companies have different focuss, back ground, priorities - this leads to different products

I'll take a Model Y/3 over most anythning in their respective market segments (a Model Y vs. say a Honda CRV/Pilot - no question which I prefer for example) - but there is no way I'd trade my Taycan for a plaid - certainly not with a yoke steering wheel and other plaid'isms

the Taycan is the best EV sports sedan on the market … Tesla plaid not so much.

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Porsche did it again, nice! Those cars couldn’t be more different. I’ve driven the Turbo S and Plaid, very different vehicles!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I don’t have the problem, but you can disable auto wipers. That’s a comparatively minor issue vs. something like heaters not working 😀
Did you really just try to imply that Teslas don't ever have systemic component issues? Now you're just coming off as a fanboi.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla Model S failures/changes over the years. I guess some of it could be considered wear and tear

Those pop out door handles are the bane of Tesla’s existence! 3 of 4 failed.
Rear hatch motor? 2 failed $200 each

cooling fans in front bumper? $2200 failure. Squeaky/clunky brake pedal $550
Bent half shafts (hopping during acceleration) $2500
Noisy fan motor $350
Sluggish MCU computer - upgraded to MCU2 for $2500 great upgrade. Brand new computer Intel vs Nvidia cpu, Upgraded from 3G to LTE. Upgraded USB charging ports. Lost FM and XM. Oh well! Touchscreen was about 20 times faster after upgrade. Need to hand it to Tesla for offering up this upgrade. That’s pretty cool of them! I don’t think Porsche would do this, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Did you really just try to imply that Teslas don't ever have systemic component issues? Now you're just coming off as a fanboi.

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What an amazing SUV, thank you for all the detail in the post. Sorry for the delay in replying I forgot where you posted this…took me a bit of searching!

So you were the film mule?! Well, someone had to do it!!! 🤣 that is some serious equipment suction cup to onto the back of the Cayenne, wow! A few levels up from the Go Pros you see! That shot with the blue GT3 right behind you is amazing! How hard were you pushing to stay ahead of that 911? Was it a scary pace or just plain fun?

Yes, I can’t imagine the Tesla’s would’ve done well here at all, with or without a brake upgrade!

pls post any other pics if you’ve got them 😀

the ride and creature comforts are world class - and the performance is amazing - it's a LUX SUV that can take you and other couple to dinner - but you can also rig it up as a camera platform and use it to film car reviews @ private track days

very few SUV's could've done what the Cayenne did that day - kept "in front of" a GT3 & GT4 RS at pace on a race track - the Model X/Y would have factually been an unmitigated disaster - the Cayenne was EPIC on that day - really really beyond excellent.

I was the "film mule" for this car reviews in my wife's super lux Cayenne SUV TurboS eHybrid - I can state factually and with emphasis a Model Y and/or Model X would _FAIL_ at this task - but the Cayenne was like "no big deal" let's do this - and then I drove it home and got 31 mpg on a 500+ HP V8 Turbo in complete comfort - Porsche makes amazing cars…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1328046-992-gt3-vs-gt4-rs.html

1692115917000.jpeg

1692115963587.jpeg

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What an amazing SUV, thank you for all the detail in the post. Sorry for the delay in replying I forgot where you posted this…took me a bit of searching!

So you were the film mule?! Well, someone had to do it!!! 🤣 that is some serious equipment suction cup to onto the back of the Cayenne, wow! A few levels up from the Go Pros you see! That shot with the blue GT3 right behind you is amazing! How hard were you pushing to stay ahead of that 911? Was it a scary pace or just plain fun?

Yes, I can’t imagine the Tesla’s would’ve done well here at all, with or without a brake upgrade!

I did not provide the equipment - the CarHoney guys came fully equipped - they spent the morning before track open suctioning the equipment on to the vehicle…

pushing hard? a bit yeah - but also mindful of the fact that we were filming and not racing - so my job was to place the car in front of the GT4/GT3 to 'get the shot' - the main problem was the sports car drivers were less experienced and I kept gapping them coming out of corner's @ thunder hill 3 mile (a track I am VERY familiar with)…the Cayenne was a bit understeer'y when on the power coming out of corners - but the in full sports plus mode acceleration was ample - my only complaint is the Cayenne does not have the PDK transmission I'm used to from Porsche's excellent GT cars - so downshifts/upshifts were not was I was accustomed to - it felt a bit "laggy" - now keep in mind this is a 4800 lbs full SUV? and I was able to "lead" a GT4/GT3 around a track at a pace where they had to work to keep up with me…so hard to complain.

there is _NO_ amount of modifications that could've made the Tesla even remotely in the same league as the Cayenne for this type of usage - the Cayenne is "way beyond" in terms of latent capabilities that no one will ever tap in normal street driving…

it was super fun and I'd do it again given the invitation - the car is just soooo impressive - there are few if any SUV's that I can imagine performing that duty as well as the Cayenne…and then driving home in my 14-way ventilated massage seats and getting 31+ mpg while doing it. Car was damm quick on the lap - and the carhoney guys and sport car drivers were impressed at the pace.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

all of the "on track" action shots from this car reviews - were shot from my wife's 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid…

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Both. Due to scarce CCS chargers the distance travelled to find them is roundabout and thus is much longer. Some are slow level 2 like the ChargePoint at the Hyundai dealer in Charleston WV that I’d need to spend 52 minutes at. Also it’s 10.5 hours. Try it on abetterrouteplanner.com
There are direct flights from PIT to CLT. Why drive 20 hours round trip?

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
There are direct flights from PIT to CLT. Why drive 20 hours round trip?
Touché. Yes, we occasionally fly but my grandkids want to see my ”cool car”. Perhaps Porsche/VAG/EA should offer customers frequent flyer miles when you buy a Taycan rather than free supercharging or fixing EA.

Svaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Model S
Country flag
Interesting thread. My premature two cents…
I have a 4S on order. Was supposed to be delivered on Friday but it’s late. I also have a Model S 90D which I’m trading for a non plaid new S with 21” wheels and the yoke. Delivery date likely end of November.

I should get both cars within a month of one another. I was blown away by the Taycan when I drove it. I echo what many have said about the suspension and handling. Just insane.

Straight line acceleration, hard to beat a Model S but I didn’t opt for the plaid or the Taycan Turbo because that level of acceleration makes me nauseous, so it’s just not for me.

I will also say that the Porsche customer experience was awesome. When I first bought my Model S in 2017 Tesla customer service was great. Now it’s like dealing with an airline. They are the worst.

In terms of reliability…my hope (and maybe my expectation) is that the Taycan is better than my Model S (which has cost me about $14k over the last 18 months). Don’t get me wrong…I love my S, but it has been a piece of junk from a reliability perspective. I came from a Lexus background and their cars just don’t break. Comparatively speaking, my Model S has needed 2-4 repair services in every year I’ve owned it. So, my hope was that the Porsche was more like my Lexus’s but reading through I see that might be wishful thinking.
Sponsored