First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
That range seems completely wrong....?

I have a 2021 RWD PB+ also and get 300+ miles on a good run in the summer and minimum 220+ on cold days in winter.

You should be getting similar range to your Model 3.

3C7D9226-67FB-42B5-9C08-2AEFB68B89B5.jpeg
What wheels/tyres are you running?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
That's actually exactly the reason why I'm looking at a Model X :p. Two child seats take up a lot of room in the backseat, making it practically impossible for the second parent to sit next to them. Also, being able to essentially stand up in the car while mounting the child seat would be a lifesaver for my back.
consider mercedes eqs
  • not tesla
  • supercharger access in 2024 and beyond
  • crazy excellent range - 375 miles real world based on recent testing
  • faster charging when EA works
  • german quality
  • I’d have an eqs over an X all day long
  • mercedes infotainment tech is pretty good
  • interior quality is legendary mercedes
  • ride quality is among the best
  • better service should you need it
i owned two model X’s - never again - and the 3rd row lacks awesome

just a thought

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's actually exactly the reason why I'm looking at a Model X :p. Two child seats take up a lot of room in the backseat, making it practically impossible for the second parent to sit next to them. Also, being able to essentially stand up in the car while mounting the child seat would be a lifesaver for my back.
100% honest - as a father for 3 children -now grown - but when I was doing the car seat thing - the _BEST_ vehicle I ever experienced for "father hood" and family is this…

https://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey

just tick all the boxes - and let it wash over you - it's the best family vehicle - period - fact end of sentence - and at it's price point vs. Porsche/Mercedes/Model X it can almost be consider disposable - use it - love it - and get rid of it when you no longer have car seats…

there is nothing viable that is more function/easy in day to day family duties, and family road tripping.

$51,435 out the door 100% top trim - all options "checked" and the best family vehicle on the market!! Beat the hell out of it - and sell it when you no longer need car seats - until then there is _NOTHING_ on the market that carries as much, has what you need and fits family needs…

that's my 100% honest best advice.

Porsche Taycan Anyone going back to a Tesla? Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 10.31.36 AM

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
100% honest - as a father for 3 children -now grown - but when I was doing the car seat thing - the _BEST_ vehicle I ever experienced for "father hood" and family is this…

https://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey

just tick all the boxes - and let it wash over you - it's the best family vehicle - period - fact end of sentence - and at it's price point vs. Porsche/Mercedes/Model X it can almost be consider disposable - use it - love it - and get rid of it when you no longer have car seats…

there is nothing viable that is more function/easy in day to day family duties, and family road tripping.

$51,435 out the door 100% top trim - all options "checked" and the best family vehicle on the market!! Beat the hell out of it - and sell it when you no longer need car seats - until then there is _NOTHING_ on the market that carries as much, has what you need and fits family needs…

that's my 100% honest best advice.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 10.31.36 AM.png
Great advice. We drove a Honda Odyssey for 8 years as our kids were growing up.

My Dad always said - "You always want to be driving when your kids and their friends need to go somewhere. They say things to each other as if you don't exist - and you get to hear it all" 😀

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
consider mercedes eqs
don't sleep on the BMW evs.

my 4s lease is coming up in a couple of months and the I7 is looking like a viable choice as the MB

i owned two model X’s - never again - and the 3rd row lacks awesome
of all the teslas the model X is the one to avoid, it has had issues from day one and it still isn't right.
my choice would be a Y

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
My tidbit to add:

my sister in law just picked up her MY23 X Plaid and it has a few issues (alignment of falcon doors) but overall she’s happy with it.

My cousin has a Y with FSD and loves it. He demonstrated auto summon (remote request with phone) at the country club parking lot and it came right to us…a bit of fun!

He had to lower down the tire pressure as he found the ride quite rough. The X’s air suspension rides so much better.

When I tell them, we are looking at a Porsche Taycan, my family stops talking, leans and listens 😀They don’t do that during Tesla talk!

my 4s lease is coming up in a couple of months and the I7 is looking like a viable choice as the MB

of all the teslas the model X is the one to avoid, it has had issues from day and it still isn't right.
my choice would be a Y

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

of all the teslas the model X is the one to avoid, it has had issues from day and it still isn't right.
my choice would be a Y
skipping BMW until they announce supercharger support (as well as other EV vendors for north america)

my next EV vendor needs to function with a reliable and well regarded fast charging network - it doesn't have to be "the supercharger network" - but I see no alternatives - but I'm open to a non-supercharger reliable network.

no more 5 of 6 stations down and the one remaining station is running at exercise bike generator speeds…and the payment activation system doesn't actually work…

a mostly functional fast charging network is required for my next EV vendor - Tesla or otherwise…but not doing the EA sucks thing again.

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It must be a tough pill to swallow, for the long standing German manufacturers to work out agreements with a young upstart company like Telsa. I remember a friend (not fond of EVs) who worked at MB saying many derogatory things about T, "let's see how long they last..." etc. I can only imagine the challenge for the liaison team trying to come to an EV agreement! I don't think I could do it!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I owned 2 Model x's

2016 Model X P90D - vin #254 off the assembly line - lemon'd by Tesla 9 months later
2017 Model X P100D - drove it until warranty was up - good SUV - crazy quick, mostly functional - but our model lacked the 2nd row folding seats but had the 3rd row - no real issues other than normal Tesla bits&bob's - but good car - 50k'ish miles - lots of road trip - handled family of 5 and luggage and around town duties - acceleration faster than most exotic sports car in full 7 passenger SUV is a thing - wow it's such a thing…and Tesla's great tech and supercharger network…

didn't want to own a Tesla "out of warranty" - main computer for example is a $5000 affair out of warranty - screen was turning brown - little issues that sap'd confidence

asked wife if she wanted another one

Answer: No - it's more of the same and I'm tired of the falcon wing doors
I asked her why? They have always "worked" - why are you tired of them
Answer: I'm tired of being a public spectacle every time we open them - everyone "looks" and I'm tired of everyone looking at me as we just do normal things.

We replaced the X with a 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - we love it - but want to go back to 'full electric' when there is a good choice - once the warranty on the Cayenne is "up' in 2027 we'll be on the hunt for a full electric replacement…

There was nothing "wrong" with the Model X other than the normal set of Tesla's pros/cons - and the car was good with few issues during it's warranty tenure - but there is no getting around the Faclon wing doors and the attention they draw every time you use them - trust me it gets old after a whlie…well at least it did for us.

as noted I'd consider other alternatives - including the Odyssey as a nearly perfect/functional family car for the car seat years…

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid
Wow, that's a beautiful SUV, it sure moves out! 11.5 sec 1/4 and 3.6 0-60? Plus all that luxury and quality...so nice. Everyone seems to love hybrids as well, they're a great transition between gas only and full electric.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, that's a beautiful SUV, it sure moves out! 11.5 sec 1/4 and 3.6 0-60? Plus all that luxury and quality so nice. Everyone seems to love hybrids as well, they're a great transition between gas only and full electric.
LOL it was the only thing remotely close to the acceleration I had come to enjoy with the P100D - EV drive trains "spoil" you and can't simply go back to anemic ICE drive trains - but as we all know in practice - on paper is one thing but actual performance of ICE vehicle's tends to be less "immediate" - I have NO issues with my Cayenne and it "can perform" but nothing in the ICE world is as gratifying as the immediacy of an excellent EV drive train…both my Taycan and my P90D/P100D feel/felt worlds quicker than the Cayenne…my daughter's 2023 Model Y Long Range (non-Performance) "feels" quicker than the Cayenne…but far less planted and comfortable.

link below is my daughter in her Y doing an ABS exercise - she was thrilled and the instructors were "wow'd" by the Y - one girl in a mini-cooper told her mom "mom - it's embarassing to go after the Tesla, it's just sooo quick - can I change place in line?"

but the Cayenne is good - oh soooo good - and we routinely go 800-1200 miles between fill ups because we top it off and do the EV only thing for most of our daily errands - but both the wife and I want "back in" to a full EV…we're just waiting for the right one and the warranty to be "done" with the Cayenne…

Porsche Taycan Anyone going back to a Tesla? IMG_0442

Last edited:

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you asked me which one I'd like to ride "shotgun" with you in, you know it would be the Porsche! What a luxurious ride, that's something I really appreciate.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you asked me which one I'd like to ride "shotgun" with you in, you know it would be the Porsche! What a luxurious ride, that's something I really appreciate.
the ride and creature comforts are world class - and the performance is amazing - it's a LUX SUV that can take you and other couple to dinner - but you can also rig it up as a camera platform and use it to film car reviews @ private track days

very few SUV's could've done what the Cayenne did that day - kept "in front of" a GT3 & GT4 RS at pace on a race track - the Model X/Y would have factually been an unmitigated disaster - the Cayenne was EPIC on that day - really really beyond excellent.

I was the "film mule" for this car reviews in my wife's super lux Cayenne SUV TurboS eHybrid - I can state factually and with emphasis a Model Y and/or Model X would _FAIL_ at this task - but the Cayenne was like "no big deal" let's do this - and then I drove it home and got 31 mpg on a 500+ HP V8 Turbo in complete comfort - Porsche makes amazing cars…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1328046-992-gt3-vs-gt4-rs.html

Porsche Taycan Anyone going back to a Tesla? 1692115917000

Porsche Taycan Anyone going back to a Tesla? 1692115963587

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a 2021 4S that I got rid of for a 2023 Model Y Performance. Prior to the Taycan I had a Model 3 Performance and three other Porsches before that.

I dumped the Taycan because in about 15 months it was in service for 60+ days, and no matter which service center I went to, I was never happy with the experience. The problems with the car were all over the place but mostly software and hardware failures (same component multiple times) and a ton of rattles. I only want EV and one with vegan interior, so I went with a Model Y Performance which Tesla delivered to my door at no additional charge. I loved it immediately. Of course they are everywhere (so are iPhones like the one I’m using now) and it doesn’t feel “luxury” at all, but until you own one, I don’t think you can understand why it works/why they’re so popular.

- Software that just works. Consistently
- fast response for the touch display- as fast as a current iPhone moving around the options
- Doors lock and unlock when you leave or approach
- No physical key needed
- One pedal driving
- Quicker than my $150k 4S which you use every day— no launch mode needed
- Autopilot (I had Porsche’s and it was not good)
- Sound system (I had Bose and Tesla’s is better IMHO)
- I can drive it around the city I live in and park on the street and not have any worries about it whatsoever- they’re everywhere!
- Even though it has storage for days, it’s much smaller than the 4S, so it’s easier to park (yes, I even had rear wheel steering)
- Dog mode - I use it almost every day
- Sentry mode/dashcam, ability to see video from anywhere
- supercharger network
- no dealerships
- mobile service

I think there may be more, but those are top of mind. I don’t really miss the Porsche TBH, though I do miss the air suspension- Tesla’s suspension is not great. I don’t miss getting to know my service advisor so well; my experience with Tesla service on this car has been fantastic- like just hanging out/waiting while they actually fix a rattle, or adjust a door after delivery. That’s about it- no major issues.

All that said, I’m on the list for a Macan EV, but will have to see what the new Model Y (Juniper) brings to the table.

Last edited:

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think I just heard a mic drop somewhere

Can’t argue with your points. It’s making me rethink my wanting to dump my tesla….a bit. I guess grass is always greener?
Sponsored