Anyone used Tesla supercharger yet?

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Cayman GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo S.
Country flag
Hi everyone, I’m looking to get to South Mimms next week, and hearing Elon musk saying that the supercharger network is opening to non Tesla cars. Anyone on here used one yet? Just seeing if it’s possible now.
Thanks ?
Sponsored

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla Superchargers are not open. Car manufacturers have to partner with Tesla and that comes with caveats—including paying Tesla maintenance fees to use the network. I don’t think that’s going to happen since Porsche has an agreement with Electrify America.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in europe there is has to be legal and business/billing agreements for it to work - but the network is physically compatible with the vehicles.

in the US there is the same legal/business requirements and the additional requirement that a physical change is required either via adapter or new cables “added” to superchargers - so that is an additional barrier - also the spaces would need to be redesigned since in the US all the chargers are designed for Tesla’s “rear located charging ports and for the vehicles to back in” - given the charge port location on other non-Tesla EV’s the cords are too short to reach most any other vehicle

I’ve not seen any announcement of agreement with another EV vendor for supercharger access - and given the legal/business hurdles and the physical compartibility issues I wouldn’t hold my breath for this to be the case any time soon - ultimately I believe this will come to pass but a time frame is difficult to nail down - certainly not with in the next 36 months - but beyond that who knows.

this is not a simple problem and both technical issues have to be addressed and ego’s have to be quelled - of all the issues Ego is perhaps the greatest barrier - what non-Tesla CEO wants to come “hat in hand” to Elon and offer terms/conditions to make this work? Remember they’ve spent the better part of a decade avoiding his vision on this topic - I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've said it a while ago in the forum that my guess is that Tesla will open up their Superchargers. Some new infos are "leaking" that it might be becoming reality.

Fingers crossed..

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this would however be the best Reason for the 400V 150kW DC option - all of Tesla’s supercharger network is a 400V network…being limited to 50 kW would suck when using a Tesla supercharger

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think an “extension” cord is really more necessary than an adapter for europe - the cords are simply to too short to reach any non-Tesla EV’s charging port location

in the US both an adapter and extension cord would be required.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
also the spaces would need to be redesigned since in the US all the chargers are designed for Tesla’s “rear located charging ports and for the vehicles to back in” - given the charge port location on other non-Tesla EV’s the cords are too short to reach most any other vehicle
I wish some super smart person could come up with a refueling station design that worked more like a queue than a stack. And maybe made it so it didn’t matter which side or end the port is on. Such a crazy design is probably just not possible...?

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
FWIW my wife has attended several Porsche focus groups surrounding the future of electric vehicle technology and user experience.

One of the common themes in each of the focus groups is the concept of inductive charging similar to that of current mobile phones.

Not only did the virtual experiences include inductive charging in the users garage, they visualized a future where the roadways such as the Autobahn were inductive in nature too.

This concept is also a reality right in some regions such as Versailles, France.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
FWIW my wife has attended several Porsche focus groups surrounding the future of electric vehicle technology and user experience.

One of the common themes in each of the focus groups is the concept of inductive charging similar to that of current mobile phones.

Not only did the virtual experiences include inductive charging in the users garage, they visualized a future where the roadways such as the Autobahn were inductive in nature too.

This concept is also a reality right in some regions such as Versailles, France.
BMW already has inductive charging but it's a difficult install and it's sloooooow.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
in europe there is has to be legal and business/billing agreements for it to work - but the network is physically compatible with the vehicles.
Same in China, but it does not work. More marketing BS?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I wish some super smart person could come up with a refueling station design that worked more like a queue than a stack. And maybe made it so it didn’t matter which side or end the port is on. Such a crazy design is probably just not possible...?
Porsche Taycan Anyone used Tesla supercharger yet? 1618375639121

350kW in the land of Porsche, done!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt8442

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Cayman GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo S.
Country flag
1618375639121.png

350kW in the land of Porsche, done!
Guessing that for safety reasons your not allowed to sit in the car whilst this is charging? Thinking about the cancer risk posed by Electrical pylons that people are studying and the effects of high power Electromagnetic forces on the human body. Can you confirm if this is the case in this setup?
Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far, looking like it’s a no then. Anyone know if there is a fast charger around the south mimms area apart from Ecotricity? From previous experience when they do decide to work, they usually shut down far earlier than you want! Lol

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag

Having some familiarity with wireless charging tech, I'm fairly confident that it won't be coming too soon to the automotive sector. The thermal losses are causing it to be quite inefficient (in the smartphone industry, losses are 25-50% based on models). You don't want to pay that much more per charge and waste all that energy.

I expect a stopgap solution to be "assisted chargers" in the short-term where the charger robotically connects to the véhicule as demonstrated by multiple car OEMs including Tesla.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Having some familiarity with wireless charging tech, I'm fairly confident that it won't be coming too soon to the automotive sector. The thermal losses are causing it to be quite...
There were news about wireless charging with up to 90% efficiency, but even 10% loss is still quite a cost for the 20 sec task of plugging in a cable by hand.

A robot solution might also be a bit overpriced for the problem it solves.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi everyone, I’m looking to get to South Mimms next week, and hearing Elon musk saying that the supercharger network is opening to non Tesla cars. Anyone on here used one yet? Just seeing if it’s possible now.
Thanks ?
it is not possible for ANY car that is not a tesla to use a supercharger
Sponsored