JC2021

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve got a CT4S on order and can’t wait but as someone new to Porsche, new to EVs and relatively new to this forum the overwhelming sense you get looking down the list of Taycan thread topics is how many reliability issues are being reported, mostly software related. It does concern me a bit especially given this will be the most expensive car I’ve ever bought, my Porsche dealership is an hour away and was hoping for some bullet proof German engineering …

Should I be concerned? I’m hoping this is partly a feature of many people only bothering to post when they have a problem and want some help/advice to fix it or (understandably) want a platform to vent a bit when things go wrong - so maybe the lists of threads with problems is not representative of Taycan ownership in general?

Also occurred to me that many posts are quite old now on a car which is pretty groundbreaking and bound to have some teething troubles so many of these may now be sorted on newer builds and a bit out of date.

The positive thing is how many people say the car is more than worth it despite all the problems and malfunctions which you don’t often hear! Any more reassurance or some owner perspectives on the overall reliability would be very welcome. Think this would lend itself to a forum poll but I’ve not mastered how to do that!

Thanks
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’ve had zero issues (over an admittedly short period of time - 2 and a half weeks and around 900 miles).

I’m not overly concerned.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I do find the troublesome trends notated in this website to be disconcerting at times, especially as to the reliability of the Electrify America network, but I'm optimistic that our Taycans when delivered will be awesome. Fingers crossed...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As you have probably seen on some other thread(s), over 6500 taycans have been delivered in the States, about 34 with (serious) problems.
I haven‘t found any numbers for Europe, but I hope that recent builds are/will be more reliable.
So,, fingers crossed, I’m waiting my CT, still scheduled for July 09. :like:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As you have probably seen on some other thread(s), over 6500 taycans have been delivered in the States, about 34 with (serious) problems.
I haven‘t found any numbers for Europe, but I hope that recent builds are/will be more reliable.
So,, fingers crossed, I’m waiting my CT, still scheduled for July 09. :like:
35 is the number of complaints for automotive power loss. It does not include all other issues.
The assumption that things improve over time is reasonable but at least based on reported issues in this forum it looks like issues are becoming more severe and at least as frequent.
For example, several months ago most of the complaints were about 12v drained batteries, OTA and connectivity issues. These issues seem to be addressed but during the last couple of months many complaints are for bricked cars during the WMA updates waiting for weeks for parts from Germany and several cars losing power while driving.
Another datapoint is that at least in the US the 2021 models had two recalls (for suspension components) while the 2020 models had none.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
FWIW, 8400 miles with zero real issues. There was an annoying issue with Range mode changing the limited top speed unbidden that seems to have been exorcised by the recent SW update. Other than that, really smooth sailing.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most of the problems described in the forum seem to be software related, which is encouraging because those issues can be addressed via software updates, or even better instructions on how to use the Taycan’s various interfaces. Hopefully, I'm no too stupid to figure out how to navigate that software to properly take advantage of the car’s complexity and capabilities.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Going on one year with my Taycan Turbo. Minor issues, such as comfort access with the frunk not reacting to the hand swipe motion most of the time and Apple Carplay not being accessible 10% of the time, the Taycan has operated flawlessly for me, thus far. This being your soon-to-be-first Porsche, you will not be disappointed with the mechanical engineering and manufacturing process that went into producing the Taycan, a well-made and remarkable handing sports sedan. Software-wise, Porsche is still going through its teething stage, well behind the likes of Tesla. There have been minor software issues like mine and the mention of major issues by others on this forum. Hopefully, Porsche will be able to catch up sooner than later in that regard.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I’ve got a CT4S on order and can’t wait but as someone new to Porsche, new to EVs and relatively new to this forum the overwhelming sense you get looking down the list of Taycan thread topics is how many reliability issues are being reported, mostly software related. It does concern me a bit especially given this will be the most expensive car I’ve ever bought, my Porsche dealership is an hour away and was hoping for some bullet proof German engineering …

Should I be concerned? I’m hoping this is partly a feature of many people only bothering to post when they have a problem and want some help/advice to fix it or (understandably) want a platform to vent a bit when things go wrong - so maybe the lists of threads with problems is not representative of Taycan ownership in general?

Also occurred to me that many posts are quite old now on a car which is pretty groundbreaking and bound to have some teething troubles so many of these may now be sorted on newer builds and a bit out of date.

The positive thing is how many people say the car is more than worth it despite all the problems and malfunctions which you don’t often hear! Any more reassurance or some owner perspectives on the overall reliability would be very welcome. Think this would lend itself to a forum poll but I’ve not mastered how to do that!

Thanks
the two most distressing issues have been the car shutting down unexpectedly and I haven't seen any recent reports of this happening so hopefully that glitch is resolved and the other issue is that my car and some others are having very bad charging sessions at EA units. other than the usual EA issues of units being down some cars are having trouble communicating with the EA charger and cannot initiate a charge, sometimes a call to EA and having them kick start the session works and now on to occasions I've had complete fail to charge which fortunately I've been able to avoid being stranded by finding a greenlots unit and a malfunctioning EA unit which gave me a free charge via the EA app, which in reality was a screw up on their end that saved me a flatbed ride and a hotel stay.

some people are having trouble with linking car play, my only problem with it is how slow it links or sometimes I need to manually link it again.
all the other issues are minor and usually go away upon a restart.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've been in since 6/4 and up to about 1300 miles.

My main issues:

1. Some bumps with EA charging the first time I tried it (fixed when I turned on Plug And Charge)
2. Sirius radio disappeared (shortcut button workaround fixed it)
3. ALK and InnoDrive won't enable (still ongoing.)
4. Website still shows Track Your Dream (still ongoing.)
5. Website shows I need to register or replace my first aid kit (still ongoing.)

The PCM software has some annoyances (such as failing to remember my regen choice) but nothing deal-breaking. No power loss issue for me, so far.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
4. Website still shows Track Your Dream (still ongoing.)
I have this same issue and my theory is it is related to my inability to get Plug and Charge working. Do you use the Charging NA app? If so, what does it say under your My Vehicles section in the hamburger menu?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I have this same issue and my theory is it is related to my inability to get Plug and Charge working. Do you use the Charging NA app? If so, what does it say under your My Vehicles section in the hamburger menu?
if you have the onboard 19.2 kw charging in the car plug and charge will not work, and apparently not all of the EA chargers are plug and charge compatible

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
if you have the onboard 19.2 kw charging in the car plug and charge will not work, and apparently not all of the EA chargers are plug and charge compatible
FYI I hear in a pcarwhisperer video that in the 2022 models that plug and charge will work with the 19.2kw onboard chargers.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I do have Charging NA but I haven't had to use it since I found the (buried) checkbox to turn on Plug and Charge.

The Charging NA app seems confused about my vehicles, but the charging history is correct (including charges done with P&C) .

Porsche Taycan Are my reliability worries misplaced? IMG_CB8435434A7B-1
Sponsored