Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I just got pulled over last week going 40 over. I honestly thought I was going (at most) 20 over. I still have a temporary tag on the car so I was let off with a warning when I explained I was still getting used to the acceleration. I did not think that was going to work ?‍♂
Good one! I remember right after I bought my first 911 back in the mid '80s I was accelerating hard onto the freeway and didn't notice the CHP who immediately pulled me over. I also explained that I didn't really realize how fast the car would go. It was a desperation move but he smiled and let me off. I think we both got lucky!
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Okay, I didn't walk the walk, and I crossed the line mentally in a prior version.

Here is a corrected version:

1) Lane Change Assist (LCA) is a visual alert if there would be risk of a collision when you are considering a lane change (this is indicated by a solid amber light in the side mirror) or executing/signaling a lane change (this is indicated by a blinking amber light in the side mirror).

2) Active Lane Keeping (ALK) is a steering wheel nudge to keep you centered in the lane when you are NOT considering or executing a lane change, but are wandering out of the lane center, even if no other traffic is present.

3) Lane Keep Assist (LKA) + ALK is a kinetic action that accompanies a visual and audible LKA warning. This warning is indicated by a figure representing lane lines on the dash (in a vanishing perspective geometry). The left or right line, as applicable, of this representation will change from green to red in this condition. There is an audible short, low buzz (like giving the wrong answer on a game show) that will repeat when this happens, and you can select a volume level (low, regular, high) for this in the assistance settings. Regular seems fine if you are not hearing impaired, and is not loud enough to cause me to reflexively flinch and bump my head into the roof liner. The kinetic action will nudge the steering sufficient to prevent departure from the current driving lane. It actually works quite well in my experience, even on curving roads that don't require too large a steering input, let's say less than 12 degrees of steering wheel travel. It might be tempting to let it autopilot the car laterally on such a road, except that it will sense if you have gone hands-off, and it will complain and eventually deactivate itself. Also, the steering line that it attempts will not always be exactly the line that you want on those curves, so then you will want to chime in adjusting the steering wheel. It won't fight you, and you won't even feel it if it thinks you are staying within the lines. If you do want to cross the line (don't we all like to color outside the lines at times?), the ALK force is quite easy to overcome, and it will actually back off very rapidly if you are steering beyond it or opposite it. When passing an exit lane, some extra attention will likely be required, as ALK will often pull a bit towards the open gap in the line marking, but that's easy to anticipate and compensate. Again, it will not fight you, even if it is starting to think that you might be jeopardizing the mission, Dave. And, as was done to HAL, you can always shut it off (but unlike HAL, you can do this quickly and easily with a roll and press of the steering wheel roller control) if ever and when ever it becomes annoying.

Which are activated when you use Innodrive:

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Please don't mentally cross the lines between the lane-related assist features:

1) Lane Change Assist (LCA) is a visual alert if there would be risk of a collision when you are considering a lane change (this is indicated by a solid amber light in the side mirror) or executing/signaling a lane change (this is indicated by a blinking amber light in the side mirror).

2) Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a visual alert when you are NOT considering or executing a lane change, but are wandering across the lane markings, even if no other traffic is present. This is indicated by a figure representing lane lines on the dash (in a vanishing perspective geometry). The left or right line, as applicable, of this representation will change from green to red in this condition. There is an audible short, low buzz (like giving the wrong answer on a game show) that will repeat when this happens, and you can select a volume level (low, regular, high) for this in the assistance settings. Regular seems fine if you are not hearing impaired, and is not loud enough to cause me to reflexively flinch and bump my head into the roof liner.

3) Active Lane Keeping (ALK) is a kinetic action that accompanies the LKA warning. This will nudge the steering sufficient to prevent departure from the current driving lane. It actually works quite well in my experience, even on curving roads that don't require too large a steering input, let's say less than 12 degrees of steering wheel travel. It might be tempting to let it autopilot the car laterally on such a road, except that it will sense if you have gone hands-off, and it will deactivate itself. Plus, the steering line that it attempts will not always be exactly the line that you want on those curves, so then you will want to chime in adjusting the steering wheel. It won't fight you, and you won't even feel it if it thinks you are staying within the lines. If you do want to cross the line (don't we all like to color outside the lines at times?), the ALK force is quite easy to overcome, and it will actually back off very rapidly if you are steering beyond it or opposite it. When passing an exit lane, some extra attention will likely be required, as ALK will often pull a bit towards the open gap in the line marking, but that's easy to anticipate and compensate. Again, it will not fight you, even if it is starting to think that you might be jeopardizing the mission, Dave. And, as was done to HAL, you can always shut it off (but unlike HAL, you can do this quickly and easily with a roll and press of the steering wheel roller control) if ever and when ever it becomes annoying.
I’m just curious, the manual says LKA has “steering intervention to prevent lane departure”. Do you know what that consists of?

Porsche Taycan Avoiding all Automated Driving Functions EF6F6024-7B6E-44B0-8F84-F5FDF6238EE8

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I’m just curious, the manual says LKA has “steering intervention to prevent lane departure”. Do you know what that consists of?

EF6F6024-7B6E-44B0-8F84-F5FDF6238EE8.png
Man, just when I thought I understood the difference, now I'm even more confused by this chart.

One unfortunate thing that's clear though is that the more dangerous of the features, the one that actually interferes with the steering process (albeit non aggressively), comes standard whereas the visual indicators that would actually be of value to me are options. Seems like it would be the opposite.

Just one additional tech nuisance to disable on delivery day, I suppose. But as long as it stays off, no biggie.

So bottom line is to avoid having the car automatically interfere with steering and braking, I should:

• Turn off collision warning, so as to avoid any automatic sudden braking which could be an absolute disaster. Hopefully this doesn't also turn off the standard proximity warning (visual / audio only) which is pretty essential.
  • Turn off Lane Keep Assist, which according to the chart, does interfere with steering but keep Lane Guidance on.
  • Keep cruise control off, but that's something that'll never spring to life on its own. It has to be requested by the driver so no action needs to be taken there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
Please don't mentally cross the lines between the lane-related assist features:

2) Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a visual alert when you are NOT considering or executing a lane change, but are wandering across the lane markings, even if no other traffic is present. This is indicated by a figure representing lane lines on the dash (in a vanishing perspective geometry). The left or right line, as applicable, of this representation will change from green to red in this condition. There is an audible short, low buzz (like giving the wrong answer on a game show) that will repeat when this happens, and you can select a volume level (low, regular, high) for this in the assistance settings. Regular seems fine if you are not hearing impaired, and is not loud enough to cause me to reflexively flinch and bump my head into the roof liner.

3) Active Lane Keeping (ALK) is a kinetic action that accompanies the LKA warning. This will nudge the steering sufficient to prevent departure from the current driving lane. It actually works quite well in my experience, even on curving roads that don't require too large a steering input, let's say less than 12 degrees of steering wheel travel. It might be tempting to let it autopilot the car laterally on such a road, except that it will sense if you have gone hands-off, and it will deactivate itself. Plus, the steering line that it attempts will not always be exactly the line that you want on those curves, so then you will want to chime in adjusting the steering wheel. It won't fight you, and you won't even feel it if it thinks you are staying within the lines. If you do want to cross the line (don't we all like to color outside the lines at times?), the ALK force is quite easy to overcome, and it will actually back off very rapidly if you are steering beyond it or opposite it. When passing an exit lane, some extra attention will likely be required, as ALK will often pull a bit towards the open gap in the line marking, but that's easy to anticipate and compensate. Again, it will not fight you, even if it is starting to think that you might be jeopardizing the mission, Dave. And, as was done to HAL, you can always shut it off (but unlike HAL, you can do this quickly and easily with a roll and press of the steering wheel roller control) if ever and when ever it becomes annoying.
This is super helpful, thanks so much!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

EF6F6024-7B6E-44B0-8F84-F5FDF6238EE8.png
Yes, the "intervention" is "nudging", where the steering wheel adjusts to bring you back into line with the lane, even if the road is curving to some extent. My prior description is horribly wrong, and the correct version is below.

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
Which of the options includes "Traffic Jam Assist" in the US? I don't care much about self driving, but often I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic getting over a big bridge for ~20 minutes on my commute. Would be nice if I could trust it to inch me along at low speeds while I peruse my phone. Is it that good?

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which of the options includes "Traffic Jam Assist" in the US? I don't care much about self driving, but often I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic getting over a big bridge for ~20 minutes on my commute. Would be nice if I could trust it to inch me along at low speeds while I peruse my phone. Is it that good?
That would be ACC, or if you want to add autopilot steering, then step it up to Innodrive (just keep a hand on the wheel to keep it active).

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I do not have InnoDrive or traffic jam assist, but ACC will stop and then allow car to move on if stopped for <15 seconds. If stopped for longer need to depress throttle or flick ACC wand upwards.