Battery decline when parked

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I know there has been discussion on this elsewhere but in my example I seem to be getting more loss than I'd expected. This is the first period where the car has not been driven every day since pick-up so no base to compare against as yet re drawdown.

I basically ping the car 1-3 times a day to check on location at the shop and then quit the app to kill any connection (assuming that works). Each time I've done this in last 2 days the car has been locked and quiet i.e. it's not as though the shop guys are opening and closing, starting/stopping the power in the car etc. so no addl load there. Note they removed the fender arches for painting hence no other activity on car itself.

So question is have others seen a drop of 2% SoC in 2 days of effectively a stored or parked car? Seems hard to believe that my pinging the car so few times would cause this but perhaps so? Now I did not change anything re Profile setup etc. when I left the car with them (purposefully), so wondering too if the car itself is establishing random LTE connections via various contracts to the PCM servers too?

Real test I guess will be this Friday when I (tentatively) pick it up to see if it is still only 2% degradation or if battery % has decreased further.

Charge on drop-off:

Porsche Taycan Battery decline when parked IMG_4863.PNG

Charge as of today 10AM local time essentially after only 2 days at the shop:

Porsche Taycan Battery decline when parked IMG_4868.PNG

Last edited:

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Shouldn't be. My car was at the dealer for over a week awaiting diagnosis and SOC didn't change at all unless they touched it.

Are you sure they haven't unlocked the car and triggered precool/heat which runs for 5 mins? That could definitly contribute to a 2% SOC drop.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shouldn't be. My car was at the dealer for over a week awaiting diagnosis and SOC didn't change at all unless they touched it.

Are you sure they haven't unlocked the car and triggered precool/heat which runs for 5 mins? That could definitly contribute to a 2% SOC drop.
Good suggestion however my pre-cool/heat configured off - never use it so prob not that.

Also checked trip data in case it went for a ride :), but thankfully it did not!

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Is there a difference in temperature? Is the first picture when you dropped it off and the battery was hot? And did the car stand in a cold environment at the second page. 2% difference is something I have seen between night and day temperature so I would not worry?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there a difference in temperature? Is the first picture when you dropped it off and the battery was hot? And did the car stand in a cold environment at the second page. 2% difference is something I have seen between night and day temperature so I would not worry?
Like this thought - despite being in Houston where we don't suffer re cold we have had a remarkably fluctuating daily temp regime over last week plus (and continuing) - and indeed I do think it was a cold night (high 30's F) after drop off or at least the following day (from a day temp in the 70's) - need to recheck.

Forecast is for another cold morning tomorrow poss into the upper 20's so might be a good test although of course battery not preheated.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps it's been powered on constantly.
As I say above on all the checks I've made in last two days (6+) it has always been parked and locked - again, the first day the hood was open etc as they removed the fender arches for painting but since that first half day it has been essentially parked or at least to the best of my knowledge.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
As I say above on all the checks I've made in last two days (6+) it has always been parked and locked - again, the first day the hood was open etc as they removed the fender arches for painting but since that first half day it has been essentially parked or at least to the best of my knowledge.
The temperature fluctuations could explain it as discussed above. I believe you took delivery pretty recently. Perhaps the car is still calibrating - like how the range increases over time after the initial break in period and it has a sense of your driving style? Is the same true for the speed of percentage vampire power drain, particularly when the car is so new and without a long history of just sitting around (and in unseasonably cold temps)? Just a thought.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know there has been discussion on this elsewhere but in my example I seem to be getting more loss than I'd expected. This is the first period where the car has not been driven every day since pick-up so no base to compare against as yet re drawdown.

I basically ping the car 1-3 times a day to check on location at the shop and then quit the app to kill any connection (assuming that works). Each time I've done this in last 2 days the car has been locked and quiet i.e. it's not as though the shop guys are opening and closing, starting/stopping the power in the car etc. so no addl load there. Note they removed the fender arches for painting hence no other activity on car itself.

So question is have others seen a drop of 2% SoC in 2 days of effectively a stored or parked car? Seems hard to believe that my pinging the car so few times would cause this but perhaps so? Now I did not change anything re Profile setup etc. when I left the car with them (purposefully), so wondering too if the car itself is establishing random LTE connections via various contracts to the PCM servers too?

Real test I guess will be this Friday when I (tentatively) pick it up to see if it is still only 2% degradation or if battery % has decreased further.

Charge on drop-off:

IMG_4863.PNG

Charge as of today 10AM local time essentially after only 2 days at the shop:

IMG_4868.PNG
Good suggestion however my pre-cool/heat configured off - never use it so prob not that.

Also checked trip data in case it went for a ride :), but thankfully it did not!
Ok, mine was with the detail shop for 15 days and lost about 9% of charge in that time. They had the doors open a lot of the time. One thing I noticed is that even if you have precool/heat off, there is a comfort access feature that starts precooling/heating the car as soon as you approach the car and it unlocks. So I would get a notification from the connect app that the car was preheating and I didn’t know why as I wasn’t using the feature. I’ve since turned it off in PCM.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, mine was with the detail shop for 15 days and lost about 9% of charge in that time. They had the doors open a lot of the time. One thing I noticed is that even if you have precool/heat off, there is a comfort access feature that starts precooling/heating the car as soon as you approach the car and it unlocks. So I would get a notification from the connect app that the car was preheating and I didn’t know why as I wasn’t using the feature. I’ve since turned it off in PCM.
Thx, but yep have that off too so indeed likely not the culprit. And again car is not being accessed as such (based only on my 6+ pings mind you) whilst they work on the detached/removed fender arches.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The temperature fluctuations could explain it as discussed above. I believe you took delivery pretty recently. Perhaps the car is still calibrating - like how the range increases over time after the initial break in period and it has a sense of your driving style? Is the same true for the speed of percentage vampire power drain, particularly when the car is so new and without a long history of just sitting around (and in unseasonably cold temps)? Just a thought.
Picked up Dec 22 and yes only ca 800 miles on clock so early days re calibration. I don't know the answer to your second question which is a valid one. Simplest answer may be the temp swings and as yet my drop is rel. minor I guess.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have left my 4S unused for longer stretches of time in my garage several times. I shut it off without monitoring and do not connect it to the EVSE. Consistently, I lost only about 1% SoC per month. Very little phantom drain. Obviously, no heating.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I found this to happen if pre-heat / cool is enabled, or gets enabled. If you have it disabled through the Connect app, then get in the car and turn on the AC, pre-heat / cool gets re-enabled by itself, so if you unlock the car, the pre-heat / cool process begins.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I found this to happen if pre-heat / cool is enabled, or gets enabled. If you have it disabled through the Connect app, then get in the car and turn on the AC, pre-heat / cool gets re-enabled by itself, so if you unlock the car, the pre-heat / cool process begins.
This is what I have found as well. Whenever the car is unlocked it is likely to start pre-cooling or pre-heating regardless of what settings you have previously tried to prevent it.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Just to add, if pre-heat / cool is disabled, my battery SOC remains fixed. I left the battery at 80% SOC for two weeks without any drop.
Sponsored