Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hello everyone. I tried to do more research in regards to battery degradation for the Taycan but I couldn't find as much information. Does anyone have any articles where they were able to measure the battery degradation for the 2020 Taycans? I am curious because my old T M3 had terrible battery degradation and one reason I got the Porsche is the sales person told me that at any time on a full charge, you can't get at least 245 miles, you can bring the car in for service as long as you are under warranty. He mentioned that if the battery is operating normally, even with battery degradation accounted for, you should at least get 245 miles on a 100% charge.

Edit: He mentioned this in the case of the RWD with PBP.
Sponsored

Last edited:

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
that is interesting what the sales person told you - sounds like sales person stuff :) - temperature, driving style, wheels etc impact range. For degradation there is a % that they document over the lifespan of the battery pack - only place or number that would get them to do any warranty work. They can pull that data when you go into the shop. I rarely charge to 100%, my daily is 80% - think ive hit 240-250 range in the summer at 100% getting ready for a roadtrip.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I think the warranty is 75% over 8 years? I'm assuming we lose the most in the first two years like our iPhones...

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think the warranty is 75% over 8 years? I'm assuming we lose the most in the first two years like our iPhones...
My Tesla lost about 10% its first year and at year three I had horrible degradation. I wasn't sure of the exact numbers but I had the LR Tesla M3 and by year 3 I was only able to get 210 miles max on a full charge.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ugh. Mine is only around 215 on a full 100% charge, down from around 275.

I attributed that to guess-o-meter calibration due to all the long road trips I've been taking lately, but maybe I should get the health checked to be sure.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My RWD with P.B., 21" 305/30 rear tires is 9 months old has 10K miles on the clock and still getting 248 miles @ 80mph on the highway. I picked the car up at a dealer 650 miles from home and was getting the same range when it was brand new driving home.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag

I attributed that to guess-o-meter calibration due to all the long road trips I've been taking lately, but maybe I should get the health checked to be sure.
My guess-o-meter also shows terribly after a roadtrip even though the charging planner was accurately forecasting the equivalent of 260+ miles for a 100% charge. My charge last night showed 191 miles @ 85%, down from the 243 @ 85% I was seeing before the roadtrip (post uPdate).

How long do you think it will take to normalize?

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
My guess-o-meter also shows terribly after a roadtrip even though the charging planner was accurately forecasting the equivalent of 260+ miles for a 100% charge. My charge last night showed 191 miles @ 85%, down from the 243 @ 85% I was seeing before the roadtrip (post uPdate).

Yeah, when you start driving fast over 90 the average range calculation take few weeks to gets back to normal. I don’t like the algorithm but the it is on point when calculating range as you drive to the next Charging station.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yeah, when you start driving fast over 90 the average range calculation take few weeks to gets back to normal. I don’t like the algorithm but the it is on point when calculating range as you drive to the next Charging station.
I agree with your premise but during my roadtrip this past Wed-Sun the charging planner was within 2% accuracy for every leg of the trip while pegging my full range at 267miles. It shouldn’t plummet to a 225 mile effective range now that I’m back to the same habits that generated a 285 mile full range guess-o-meter before the trip.

I don’t think it’s battery degradation, it’s just a fickle estimate that none of us can figure out. I’d hope it changes back to normal as quickly as it went haywire, which was two days.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

I don't know...I had my June road trip (4000 miles most of which was 100+). That one knocked it down, but it was slowly coming back until I hit it with 3 trips in rapid succession (600, 1400 and 600 miles respectively.)

I am very tempted to nuke my totals in the dash to see if that sets things back to normality, but we'll see. I hate to do that.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Typical "sales" bullshit. They mix degradation and range which is not the same thing.

Range is highly dependent on your driving style, weather, wind, temperature and such.

Degradation affect range but primarily it's usually because the battery have suffer (lots of DC fast charge, let it deplete to 0% ...)

It"s exactly the same bullshit as "never charge to 100%".

To ensure that you battery is optimal you need to charge it sometimes to 100% (if you plan to deplete it). Why? Just because of battery chemistry and charging to 100% once in a while ensure that you are "balancing" the cells which helps the efficiency and longevity of the battery.

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
from my experience - you should never trust what the service shop guy tells you re batt state
Buy a dongle to plug into your car + a dedicated app (app store) and check values for yourself before to go and discuss about degradation.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My observation: after one year (21.000km) i’m not getting 420km/100SoC anymore…
same driving style, same directions…after uPdate, i get 400 (or 399)…

Note: i never charged on fast charger, but i was charging to 100% quite often, but it was never parked overnight with more than 85% SoC.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag

Interestingly I get a regular 250-260+ (theoretical guessometer) in my CT4S at 100%. But on a current trip when the car was loaded up with luggage it dropped to 210 as soon as I moved the car out of the drive. I can only assume that it registered the added weight and adjusted straight away? (all in normal mode BTW).

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot