Battery not providing proper range?

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1 Series F20, BMW X3 G01, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Its an algoritm. My car used 1200km. Another friend of mine used 600km. The more you brake, the shorter the need. I started with a roadtrip.
Thanks for your answer.
How one’s able to notice this? Do I feel a difference in brake resistance, for example, when the change occurs?
Sponsored

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for your answer.
How one’s able to notice this? Do I feel a difference in brake resistance, for example, when the change occurs?
Yeah. If you use the powermeter you will see 2-3 millimeters of green when breaking without the full regen. When you have regen, you will see 2-3 centimeters +. (Same as 40-60 throttle, just in green).

But to get back to you original problem:
Check your average speed (total/from new) in the trip comp.
What tires and size are you running?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
There was another similar thread to this quite recently, with a lot of the answers.

I can't find it.....

If anyone else can, will they post the link up please.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Yeah. If you use the powermeter you will see 2-3 millimeters of green when breaking without the full regen. When you have regen, you will see 2-3 centimeters +. (Same as 40-60 throttle, just in green).

But to get back to you original problem:
Check your average speed (total/from new) in the trip comp.
What tires and size are you running?
20"
but the 207 mile range on the display was right as I got in the car after charging the night before, so size of my tires shouldn't matter?

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
20"
but the 207 mile range on the display was right as I got in the car after charging the night before, so size of my tires shouldn't matter?
The calculation of range has some nice input from different sources (it is not known exactly) like weather etc etc. But, the main part of the equation is rather simple.

Consumption from last x km’s (i have read 600).
Remaining charge in kWh (82 i belive on the large battery if full).

So in my car, without freedom units and the small battery + roof box i now have:
360km on full battery
Average consumption last 600km: 20,5 kWh per 100km.
Full small battery is 71 kWh.

71,5 \ 20,5 * 100 = 346. Aka largest part of the calculation is this basic formula.

And, things that draw more power than what we hope to see:
21 wheels. 19 and 20 is actually pretty close
Keeping the interior more than 10 degrees of the outside temperature (heating is worse than cooling).
Roof box or similar.
High speed.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
just curious - is there a way to confirm that I do in fact have the battery plus in my car (like my invoice says)?

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
just curious - is there a way to confirm that I do in fact have the battery plus in my car (like my invoice says)?
Not directly. You need a porsche piwis to read the bms, battery management system. But, as i mentioned, if you give me the predicted range, consumption last (whatever you have) and current state of charge its fast to see what kind of kwh its using, ish at least.

If you have the wrong battery size you would be the first known case..

Deleted member 6348

If you are seeing more than 200 miles with 85% of charge, you have the PB+.

With my PB car, I am seeing around 165 miles of range at 85% SoC.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to actual real world range… ambient temperature, speed, terrain, and option choices like wheels.

I’ve got 5k miles on my PB Taycan and now feel like I have a really good feel for my car’s pessimism on range.

Important tip: using the built-in navigation will give you a more accurate range for your destination, especially if you have PIRM.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
If you are seeing more than 200 miles with 85% of charge, you have the PB+.

With my PB car, I am seeing around 165 miles of range at 85% SoC.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to actual real world range… ambient temperature, speed, terrain, and option choices like wheels.

I’ve got 5k miles on my PB Taycan and now feel like I have a really good feel for my car’s pessimism on range.

Important tip: using the built-in navigation will give you a more accurate range for your destination, especially if you have PIRM.
This is I tersting. I have my car for 4 weeks and no long trips. I tried plan to navigate to the alps this summer. PCM plans 3 15 minute stops, ABPR however plans 6 stops. Which one to trust.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Your range screenshot there looks about right for PB+. In fact its a bit higher than I get with my higher average speed.
I too was kind of disappointed with the range of the car, was expecting more high 200's.
I do get mid to high 200s with conservative speed on the highway.
21" Mission E's don't help with mine either.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is I tersting. I have my car for 4 weeks and no long trips. I tried plan to navigate to the alps this summer. PCM plans 3 15 minute stops, ABPR however plans 6 stops. Which one to trust.
PCM

Note either choice assumes EVSEs are in working order.

PCM will ensure battery preconditioning and therefore less time to charge. ABRP can't.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
There are a number of factors at play. I had the same thoughts as you. First of all, unless it's over 80 degrees outside, your battery is taking a while to get up to the proper operating temp and it is operating less efficiently until then. If your drives are <10 miles you might not be even getting there.

On top of that, different wheels and tires make a big difference on range. My car's range definitely started to increase after it had a few thousand miles on it. The range readout also adjusts dynamically based on what mode you're in and what accessories you're running so if you turn off the climate control and put it in range mode, it will increase considerably.

Finally, not that many people are getting over 300 miles. I'm up to around 275 miles on a full charge. If I had 19" all-seasons instead of 21" summer performance tires, I could probably get close. My friend's Model Y was supposed to get over 300 miles of range and it really gets around 220 so I'm happy to actually get what was promised which is still more than that.
Sponsored