First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Still isn’t PEN protected
Why is that such an issue and why is it being sold across Europe if not further sfield?

I'm quite certain that if it infringed regulations.at time of sale (or continues to do so) that Porsche would be recalling to remediate or replace

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I am thinking of starting a thread listing all the EV drivers who have been electrocuted when they unplug their cars. I am sure it would be picked up by a journalist at the Daily Mail online and rigorously fact checked then published alongside an article about an EV spontaneously combusting and setting fire to a retirement home killing 35 people.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Still isn’t PEN protected
The EVSE supplied with the car, mine at least anyway has a regular 13A UK pug on the end (and the option to put a blue commando plug in its place). To my mind that's a typical "granny" charger - and therefore as granny chargers go it's a portable unit, for ad hoc use - hence doesn't in itself need built-in PEN protection.

Now for a permanent charging solution: in order to comply the the latest UK electrical regs in force, if you're installing a new supply - for the purposes of EV charging be that a dedicated EVSE unit or even just a commando socket - then it must have either PEN protection or a TT earthing arrangement - IF its deemed to be used for EV charging.

PEN protection that is not integrated into the EVSE can be separately installed on the supply, and companies like Garo have RCBO' units with PEN-protection specifically for this purpose. Around £100 or so for the unit + install time:

https://www.garo.co.uk/product-details/All/G6EV40PME

Alternatively as said, if the electrician is truly competent - he or she could install a TT earthing arrangement. Unfortunately in my experience a lot of domestic spark's actually hit the limit or their quite limited knowledge / experience and familiarity with this stuff. A good EVSE installer should know or alternatively a commercial spark worth his or her salt should be able to advise.
Sponsored