Newbie - any home charger recommendations?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As a colonial I don’t understand why there is a reticence to just purchase the Porsche home charging unit. I have one and it works flawlessly.
I use the PMCC and have done so for 3+ years on 2 Taycans - faultless.

OP is wanting a weatherproof outdoor EVSE and the standard PMC+ EVSE is not really designed for that unless a dock or protective cover is added.
Sponsored

b16mov

First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi,
I'm likely to buy a 2nd hand CT in the next few days'.
I'll need a home charger which will be installed the outside the house and exposed to the elements - so it needs good waterproofing.
Features I need - smart charger with a decent app that can manage schedules, tethered, up to 7kw, ability to lock / disable the charger when I'm not using it.
I'd welcome your suggestions on the best chargers or those to avoid?

I like the sound of the Andersen A2 - looks good, tidy cable management, ability to lock the charger when I'm not using it. But most reviews slate the app on the iOS store.
Or a Zappi.
https://andersen-ev.com/pages/andersen-a2
I have a ICS charger
had it over a year and not a problem with it

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Thanks all - lots to think about tonight.

Had a good session with Porsche Chester today - impressed with the dealer and most importantly loved the CT 4S.
Just need to locate my prefect spec at a price which I think is agreeable.

Must haves:
- Black full leather, rear axle steering, Sport Chrono, folding mirrors, dimming mirrors, 150kw charging, Bose, pano roof, adaptive cruise, surround view; 4+1 seating, 14-way seats (or adaptive), heated wheel. Silver, grey or blue.

Would prefer:
- LED matrix lights, roof rails, bike rack prep, 20inch off road wheels, cooled seats, ambient lighting, electric sound.
I bought ex demo car and love the head up display which I wouldn’t have specced. Surround view is handy.

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
I have a zappi with octopus cheap charging. It all works great and also with my solar panels. I used to charge using solar but now sell excess to octopus at 15p /kwh as I can buy for just under 8p overnight. In reality using the octopus app / device charging timer I get the cheap rate charging in the evening too

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I have a Hypervolt which is quite slim, tethered and allows you to wrap the cable around the charger. I bought an angled pluger holder that someone had 3d printer on Etsy that keeps everything flush.

You can dim or turn off the LED altogether if you find it too jazzy.

Porsche Taycan Newbie - any home charger recommendations? pic

OP
OP

ct4s

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S
Country flag
I have a zappi with octopus cheap charging. It all works great and also with my solar panels. I used to charge using solar but now sell excess to octopus at 15p /kwh as I can buy for just under 8p overnight. In reality using the octopus app / device charging timer I get the cheap rate charging in the evening too
A local fitter paid me a visit earlier. He rates Zappi.

Biggest pain now is having an old house with quite old electrics and everything is in the wrong place for a charger.
Looks like 40m of cable will be required and some new boards and things.

Placed the deposit on my car earlier today too.
Going to be a busy and expensive couple of weeks.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
I’ve got an Ohme Home Pro. Gets good reviews and has been ok - but their support to date (well, distinct lack of for my experience) is a disgrace.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
I bought ex demo car and love the head up display which I wouldn’t have specced. Surround view is handy.
I find the head up display is too high and too intrusive. You can’t reduce the size or lower it so i‘ve switched it off.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
Thanks all - lots to think about tonight.

Had a good session with Porsche Chester today - impressed with the dealer and most importantly loved the CT 4S.
Just need to locate my prefect spec at a price which I think is agreeable.

Must haves:
- Black full leather, rear axle steering, Sport Chrono, folding mirrors, dimming mirrors, 150kw charging, Bose, pano roof, adaptive cruise, surround view; 4+1 seating, 14-way seats (or adaptive), heated wheel. Silver, grey or blue.

Would prefer:
- LED matrix lights, roof rails, bike rack prep, 20inch off road wheels, cooled seats, ambient lighting, electric sound.
All dealers are impressive when they’re selling!

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Another vote for the Hypervolt here. It simply works and the App is good.

Porsche Taycan Newbie - any home charger recommendations? IMG_4680

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I find the head up display is too high and too intrusive. You can’t reduce the size or lower it so i‘ve switched it off.
Does this not give the required adjustment in conjunction with altering your seat height?

Porsche Taycan Newbie - any home charger recommendations? 1705767332517

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Does this not give the required adjustment in conjunction with altering your seat height?

1705767332517.png
This! ... and it even stores the customized settings for each user profile.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have an Andersen for my Taycan and a Zappi for my wife’s hybrid. Both work well. The Andersen looks good and is installed on the front of my house. It also works well and I use the timer to regulate the charge window. The solar feature also works well in the summer. The Zappi is fine. It is on the side of my house out of view so the fact it looks plasticky with visible cable doesn’t matter. I find the app a bit convoluted to use and there are a couple of things I don’t like but some other features that I do like/use. Tech support for both has been quite responsive and helpful.
If it will be on view then go with the aesthetics. If not then look at the features that you might want - although they will all supply power to your car!

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
You can alter the height it's just difficult to find (even the sales rep couldn't find it).
Toggle the yellow highlights to the HUD. Press the roller switch on the right side of the steering wheel, scroll down with the roller switch to 'settings' (this is below the immediate visible choices) now you can set the height, rotation (no idea why you'd want the display at an angle!) and the brightness. For me this is a great aid and the best version I have tried. I use it all the time. There are other options to alter the content of the HUD but I always just have it set to navigation.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag