epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
OMFG that thing is ginormous! Would have never guessed from quick glance.
I have no idea why I would need a altar for the charging unit, well unless I was trying to cover a giant hole in the wall.
Sponsored

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
But how deep is it? It looks really big in your picture. My car parks only two feet from the wall to its side in my garage. It looks like it will be difficult to walk between the dock and the car. I'm wondering if I should mount the dock as high as I can because of that.
The box is about 25' X 14' x 10" deep.......and if you add the base to accommodate surface electrical coming from the bottom or top the depth is 11 3/4".

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can't review it as I have neither the charger nor the car at this point but I can explain my thinking. I'm currently planning on installing a Clipper Creek HCS-50. The -60 produces more power than the Porsche can charge with via type 1. I already have a Tesla HPWC but don't want to use an adapter as the connection will be a source of resistance and that will generate heat and waste energy. It may never cause any fires but I'd rather not risk an additional source of heat when charging at home where I don't have eyes on the charger. I will probably have one to keep in the car for on the road use where better alternatives aren't available, but wouldn't use it otherwise. I also don't feel the need to install a plug and add a needless connection there. It may also be worth mentioning that I've seen clipper creek chargers used by tesla at supercharger locations as supplemental adapters.
In summary: wired charger with no more power than absolutely necessary. No adapters if not absolutely necessary. Keep the Porsche cable in the car for use on the road.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
OMFG that thing is ginormous! Would have never guessed from quick glance.
I have no idea why I would need a altar for the charging unit, well unless I was trying to cover a giant hole in the wall.
Haha. I'm with you. I ordered one, well, because. But all it is is basically something to wrap the power cord around, right? Which I wouldn't even need if I hadn't ordered the 25 foot power cord. Having second thoughts about that. I'm thinking the minor utility it adds isn't worth having a huge thing on the wall, where I'd have to squeeze between it and the car. I think my "dock" might join the pile of misfit toys in my attic. Instead, I'll jury rig something less voluminous to mount the charger connect to the wall in my garage. Maybe get a shorter cord for it too.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha. I'm with you. I ordered one, well, because. But all it is is basically something to wrap the power cord around, right? Which I wouldn't even need if I hadn't ordered the 25 foot power cord. Having second thoughts about that. I'm thinking the minor utility it adds isn't worth having a huge thing on the wall, where I'd have to squeeze between it and the car. I think my "dock" might join the pile of misfit toys in my attic. Instead, I'll jury rig something less voluminous to mount the charger connect to the wall in my garage. Maybe get a shorter cord for it too.
There are many simple plastic hooks you can buy and put on the wall to hang your cord on. Tiny little things. Almost invisible.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are many simple plastic hooks you can buy and put on the wall to hang your cord on. Tiny little things. Almost invisible.
Yes. Is that what you will do? Or do you already have your car...? Regarding the power cord, I got the free option for the 25 foot cable. What is the standard length? I looked on the configurator and it doesn't say. Is it removable from the charger connect module? I'm thinking of having a shorter cable for the garage, and get the 25 foot cable for trips. Which might never happen? I'd only need it for charging in a trailer park, right? I don't spend a lot of time in trailer parks.

(Edit - I found the standard cord length. 8.2 feet)

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cable can be swapped out, you got the longer one (the good length). Mine came with a very short one (I think 6 feet?) and it would cost $500 to replace (where a new EVSE is less than that). I would use the longer cable for both, and coil up in garage. Another option is get the short cable, and pay around $150 for a L2 extension cord and carry that when you need is (which is what I did).

Yes I have had my car now since Jan.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The dock is only needed in an unsecured setting or damp location in my option. I think that it is very nice in those places, in a garage you just get a small hook for the cord like the following from Home Depot.

Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US Screenshot_20200514-115132

This was discussed in the thread https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/setting-up-for-charging-in-garage.826/

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
To each his own....and it depends on how your garage is finished off. Mine is nice, white paneled. I have plenty of room and.....I Like how the dock will cover the rough 14-50 outlet... and holds the M.Charger Connect nicely.
Whatever.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To each his own....and it depends on how your garage is finished off. Mine is nice, white paneled. I have plenty of room and.....I Like how the dock will cover the rough 14-50 outlet... and holds the M.Charger Connect nicely.
Whatever.
Absolutely Greg, I think that it is very attractive and if you have the space it would be nice to keep the look simple and hide the 14-50 plug&socket. I was only trying to indicate locations where it was most needed.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone have the Porsche Charging Dock installed yet? If so, please share pictures of the install. My dock is on my garage floor while I'm waiting to get my 14-50 receptacle installed. The dock is on the large side, but it is Porsche quality - beautiful, shiny build. I did get the 25' cable so wanted a way to store that cable rather than just having hooks on the wall.

Also, mine has to be installed on CBS block wall with stucco finish. The receptacle will also be wall-mounted so I will have to use the dock spacer. I presume I will have to use TapCons to hold the weight of the Dock and Charger.. Can anyone provide suggestions/tips on the actual install?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone have the Porsche Charging Dock installed yet? If so, please share pictures of the install. My dock is on my garage floor while I'm waiting to get my 14-50 receptacle installed. The dock is on the large side, but it is Porsche quality - beautiful, shiny build. I did get the 25' cable so wanted a way to store that cable rather than just having hooks on the wall.

Also, mine has to be installed on CBS block wall with stucco finish. The receptacle will also be wall-mounted so I will have to use the dock spacer. I presume I will have to use TapCons to hold the weight of the Dock and Charger.. Can anyone provide suggestions/tips on the actual install?
Tapcon screws sound like an excellent choice for mounting. As for the 25ft cord you would not need a hook, the Dock can easily be used as a loop point. The curved top is gentle on the cord. It will probably take 2 loops but no more then plug the end in the holster that is part of the dock to avoid debris.
Sorry I have no install to show.
Sponsored