thebuttonmonkey

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Insurers writing auto in the UK are running at 110% this year minimum. In the high value or niche categories that number is considerably worse. As our collective experiences suggest a number are non renewing or exiting the segment that our profiles tend to sit in, thus those remaining are being opportunistic about a return to profit and can do so via loading up premiums for all, irrespective of profile.

the scam of high value loan vehicles for lengthy repairs to technology vehicles that are not well enough understood or provisioned with plentiful spares means significant increases in costs associated with repairs, as well as the actual repairs themselves…

some brands have such appalling record of responding to theft activity that they are becoming uninsurable, unless we think £20k per annum for a Range Rover is the right number

also recall that injury awards are spiralling due to increased plaintiff activity to basically pay for loss of income felt as a result of inflation…

hopefully we see some sense return, but I’d recommend planning for premium increases for some time…
Great insights, thank you.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Well, somewhat amazingly Admiral have increased my premium from about £850 to £1108 and my son‘s (on multi vehicle) fell from £800 to £700, presumably due to the extra year of NCB. Maybe the Taycan hasn’t gone up too much because its value has dropped hugely in a year. I was pleasantly surprised having looked at alternatives over the weekend

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
I got quoted £903 from the RAC. 15 years no claims, now retired but stupidly picked up 6 points in the summer by misreading the rules. That’s a 30% increase, which, with the points, seems fair

gb96

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A lot of owners here having trouble with renewal their Taycan insurance due to large increases in premiums. My experience, in the end, is OK.

My policy, covering a Taycan Turbo, expires 24 January 2024. In early December I started to look around to see what the next premium might be and used a UK site “comparethemarket”. It revealed the best time to get a quote is about 23 days before the expiry date. I entered a date 23 days later, received numerous quotes the best of which was SAGA at £859, Admiral next at about £1300+, and others, all rising.

My current insurers, Churchill, informed me on 30 December that they would not renew my policy. I queried why they were doing this. Their reply:

“.......we have not offered you a renewal quote this year due to some of the details on your policy. We are unable to disclose the exact reason as our rating factors are commercially sensitive however I can see your vehicle was a Porsche Taycan and I know over the last 12 months we have reduced our insurance offerings on premium cars so this could possibly be why.

What I would say is you are not obligated to tell your new insurers this reason as we are not declining or cancelling your policy, we are just not offering you a quote this year based on our underwriting criteria.

I am sorry I am not able to give you any more detail, we are unable to see an exact reason for a declined renewal as our rating factors are commercially sensitive information.”

I had paid Churchill £900 for a Turismo end January to end September 2024, then swopped that for a Turbo and paid an extra £90 covering end September 2023 to 24 January 2024.

I did an update on 1 January 2024, changed the expiry date on the quote and was accepted at the same price. Admiral had upped their quote to £1600+.

SAGA only insure over 50 year olds - which I am - and I and my wife have a lifetime of NCD.

So, try the comparison sites.......and see what happens!

gb

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of owners here having trouble with renewal their Taycan insurance due to large increases in premiums. My experience, in the end, is OK.

My policy, covering a Taycan Turbo, expires 24 January 2024. In early December I started to look around to see what the next premium might be and used a UK site “comparethemarket”. It revealed the best time to get a quote is about 23 days before the expiry date. I entered a date 23 days later, received numerous quotes the best of which was SAGA at £859, Admiral next at about £1300+, and others, all rising.

My current insurers, Churchill, informed me on 30 December that they would not renew my policy. I queried why they were doing this. Their reply:

“.......we have not offered you a renewal quote this year due to some of the details on your policy. We are unable to disclose the exact reason as our rating factors are commercially sensitive however I can see your vehicle was a Porsche Taycan and I know over the last 12 months we have reduced our insurance offerings on premium cars so this could possibly be why.

What I would say is you are not obligated to tell your new insurers this reason as we are not declining or cancelling your policy, we are just not offering you a quote this year based on our underwriting criteria.

I am sorry I am not able to give you any more detail, we are unable to see an exact reason for a declined renewal as our rating factors are commercially sensitive information.”

I had paid Churchill £900 for a Turismo end January to end September 2024, then swopped that for a Turbo and paid an extra £90 covering end September 2023 to 24 January 2024.

I did an update on 1 January 2024, changed the expiry date on the quote and was accepted at the same price. Admiral had upped their quote to £1600+.

SAGA only insure over 50 year olds - which I am - and I and my wife have a lifetime of NCD.

So, try the comparison sites.......and see what happens!

gb
You need to be careful here. I did this and renewed the quote (at least I thought I did) but discovered that it didn’t renew the quote date. Because I had started the whole process >30 days before I needed it (this was before I had a car and delivery dates were rather vague) I ended up having to start a new quote close to the time I needed insurance. It ended up costing me more.
So now if I am looking at quotes I never start the process until I am in the 30 day window leading up to the start date I need. I am not sure how you can get round this if the process has started - maybe buy the insurance within 30 days of your original quote

gb96

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Midlifecrisis: comment noted. I have now received the insurance documents and the start date is correct; premium already paid. The optimum date for renewal appears to be 23 days before maturity.

gb

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Midlifecrisis: comment noted. I have now received the insurance documents and the start date is correct; premium already paid. The optimum date for renewal appears to be 23 days before maturity.

gb
Sounds like it worked out ok for you.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
the scam of high value loan vehicles for lengthy repairs to technology vehicles that are not well enough understood or provisioned with plentiful spares means significant increases in costs associated with repairs, as well as the actual repairs themselves…

some brands have such appalling record of responding to theft activity that they are becoming uninsurable, unless we think £20k per annum for a Range Rover is the right number

also recall that injury awards are spiralling due to increased plaintiff activity to basically pay for loss of income felt as a result of inflation…

hopefully we see some sense return, but I’d recommend planning for premium increases for some time…
The practice in UK of an intermediary providing an expensive rental vehicle during repairs was something completely unfamiliar to me, until the 4S was in a very minor accident and one of the SportDesign side fins had to be entirely replaced.

Suddenly one of the major providers of insurance-covered loaners got involved through the repairing workshop, and they sent me an R8 V10 @ a rate of almost GBP 800/day charged to the at-fault party's insurance carrier.

No wonder UK insurers are raising premiums.
Sponsored

Last edited: