Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ?

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Clearly not unheard of with Teslas either:

screen-shot-2018-04-14-at-2-54-02-pm.jpg
You know what I find interesting about this chart ? Not a single Tesla in this graph would qualify under the terms of the Porsche (and probably most other EV manufacturers) battery warranty AFAIK. Surely not a coincidence.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Always IONITY charging? Always to 100%? Always fast German highway driving? More info, please?

This. If you're always charging to 100% at fast chargers, this can really degrade the battery.

A lot of early Tesla adopters were exclusively charging at the superchargers in California because it was free, only to learn at around 40-50k miles they had nearly double the degradation of folks charging at home. Similarly, people ignoring the guidance always charging to near 100% also saw reduced capacity much faster.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You know what I find interesting about this chart ? Not a single Tesla in this graph would qualify under the terms of the Porsche (and probably most other EV manufacturers) battery warranty AFAIK. Surely not a coincidence.
Of course not! To be more brave on this and get more competitive with better warranty offerings, they need more long term experience.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
... I tried to embrace the Model S but I just could never tolerate the interior at that price point...
Yes!

...The minute I saw the Mission E concept car, I knew I was getting that car. I also never buy first generation cars and I knew Porsche's initial foray into the EV space would be rocky, particularly on the software side, so I reluctantly resigned myself to waiting for the 2021 model.

I'd love to hear the thought process from other Taycan owners if faced with Wolf's issue.
I have my Taycan for a month now. Sure there are the very occasional software glitches, like once the music suddenly gets louder and louder, or the constant switching on of the parking assist even in regular traffic...otherwise it's an amazing car.

You are overthinking the battery degradation thing. All BEVs have it, but if you mostly slow charge over night, you should hardly see any degradation for the first 100k miles.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How fast are the Tesla DC fast chargers that cause the issue?
Any indication whether the issue with fast charging is linear or non-linear. For instance, is 50kw 5 times worse than 9.6 or is it just several times worse, but when you get to 150kw, it is much more than 3 times worse than 50kw?
the manufacturers aren‘t super forthcoming so most of the data we have is from independent researchers and cooperative owners like the above graphs. Some references to their sources here

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

but there have been a lot of long running Tesla model S, so the data is pertinent. Nobody knows exactly why owners who made frequent use of high speed chargers were correlated with more wear and owners with less were closer to the median.

chemically high speed chargers generate a lot more heat and slamming the electrons in is definitely more stressful. So as a hypothesis it seems coherent.

the outliers don’t seem really far apart. Eye balling, it looks like the worst effected were closer to 80% original capacity while the median was more like 90%.
Sponsored