DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am already scheduling the onboard battery charger upgrade so hopefully, between the upgraded battery chemistry and the improved charger, I will never have this issue again...
I'm very interested in that process, consider making a thread on it for us!
If I am not mistaken, that upgrade will also give you plug-and-charge.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
In reading some of the replies here...

NO ONE (inc the author of the Teslerati article) is saying that 60% of Taycans will have a "total battery Failure", or a "battery fire", or even anything that might might be superficially noticeable. So saying just because 60% of our cars haven't caught fire doesn't mean that there isn't a real problem here. If that is the metric folks want to use just to justify their denial then so be it... However, Porsche ***IS*** replacing battery packs for these types of failures (under warranty), so maybe denial is not the most beneficial approach?

WHAT IS being claimed (true or false), is the 60% of Taycans have a battery/charging DEFECT which COULD ultimately result in any of the above (worst case). The article also goes on to mention that in many cases the software (or maybe service dept?) electronically reorganizes the battery pack to remove the failing/failed cells from service WITHOUT requiring a complete pack replacement. The claim is that this electronic bypass of the failed cells can happen (or be performed) without any catastrophic failure or even a loss of service (other than range).

IOW: Just because a Taycan hasn't caught fire, or hasn't been stranded by powertrain failure, doesn't mean its battery pack DOESN'T have a defect. Just like a typical recall, it may not have failed YET, or it could have even bypassed failed/failing cells (if the article is correct).

The point is... If you DO get the red "Electrical System Failure" message (which renders your vehicle immobile), you should consider bringing the car in to the dealer for diagnostics EVEN IF the vehicle magically returned to service after letting it sit for a bit. This is exactly what I did and Porsche determined (without my suggestion) that the whole pack needed to be replaced (even though I was able to drive the car to the dealer).

All-in-all, I'm happy to get the complete pack replaced (I expect) such that I don't inherit a loss of range as the failing/failed cells might be electronically/magically bypassed. The fact that the new pack has a different part number from the old pack also seems to indicate that Porsche has made changes to the original part and/or manufacturing process. (Although the article in question claims that the onboard charger is the root cause of the issues. ...and my dealer said the onboard charger was NOT one of the parts being replaced).
I don’t mean this as an insult but be aware that your writing style is really off putting (to me at least).
I’ve read all the comments in this thread and I don’t think anyone denies that some batteries need to be replaced because they are defective. What I see people disagreeing with is “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires”. That is the big bold claim of the original article. I hope your new battery and charger are perfect for you. And thanks for sharing the replacement cost, that’s a BIG number.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
You’ve got 8Y on the battery no? Also to benefit from 22kW (or 19.7kW) you need 90A+ power delivery. In the Netherlands that means that you need to upgrade your 3x 25A (which will get you to 13.7kW) to 3x 32A which will increase your utility bill with 1k€/Y +around 2K€ of installation costs. And you’ll need a 22kW capable charger with load balancing.

so, from doing 11kW/h to 22kW/h will be 3k€ for the car, 2k€ for the wall charger, 2k€ for adapting your home cabling and utility closet. And then the yearly 1k€ increase in utility costs.
You need to do A LOT of home charging to make that worthwhile.
if I want to go fast, I can DC 5mins from my home with Shell. Investing 7k€ lump sum, for upgrading 11kW to 22kW doesn’t make home charging cheap imho.
to be clear, my Taycan is a private purchase, paid in full, I can’t expense KW/h’s neither do I have an employer or lease provided charging card. From wall charger to utility all private purchases.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You’ve got 8Y on the battery no? Also to benefit from 22kW (or 19.7kW) you need 90A+ power delivery. In the Netherlands that means that you need to upgrade your 3x 25A (which will get you to 13.7kW) to 3x 32A which will increase your utility bill with 1k€/Y +around 2K€ of installation costs. And you’ll need a 22kW capable charger with load balancing.

so, from doing 11kW/h to 22kW/h will be 3k€ for the car, 2k€ for the wall charger, 2k€ for adapting your home cabling and utility closet. And then the yearly 1k€ increase in utility costs.
if I want to go fast, I can DC 5mins from my home with Shell. Investing 7k€ lump sum, for upgrading 11kW to 22kW doesn’t make home charging cheap imho.
to be clear, my Taycan is a private purchase, paid in full, I can’t expense KW/h’s neither do I have an employer or lease provided charging card. From wall charger to utility all private purchases.
Well yes that might be valid in Netherlands? So….?

Here in France the upgrade to 63 amp is minute, and the PMCC and a Tesla Wall Connector easily can charge away at 22 kW.

IAD on wher you live and what the normal supply costs. If you need to get the electricity supplier to run new cables from their substation you might be into 10k’s of costs.

But you are right it would not make any sense at all in your case.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Finally got my car back today. (The line item on the battery alone was $54K!)

More DENIAL(above) This is NOT an issue with the 50A outlet/wiring in my home... Seems all my other EV's (4) have never had an issue with it. My battery WAS defective and Porsche identified it on THEIR own and replaced it at THEIR expense. If it was something that was bad on my end there is absolutely no way they assume any responsibility for the failure (and $60K replacement cost). Who are you kidding?

The Battery was replaced with a newer battery (updated part number) which I am told has a different battery chemistry.

Also, pretty curious that Porsche just announced an upgraded onboard charger for the Taycan. (The charger is in the car NOT on the wall - all we have on the wall is basically an on/off relay). Curiously, this would seem to lend credence to the original claim (from the "Porsche Insider") that the lower power onboard charger was a main cause of these battery issues. ...and why the charger was upgraded on the Audi ETron GT when they started using the same platform.

New AC on-board charger upgrade for the Porsche Taycan dramatically reduces charging times - Porsche Newsroom USA

I am already scheduling the onboard battery charger upgrade so hopefully, between the upgraded battery chemistry and the improved charger, I will never have this issue again...

Anyway, I've posted the details of my experience here so I'll turn the thread back over to all the deniers (mostly anyway). If something relevant pops up with the charger upgrade I'll report it here as well....
Sorry, who was denying that there have been some failures? The comments have been directed at the laughable 60% claim. Also, you do know that the half dozen posts before yours were sarcastic jokes, right?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Base cost for 3x25 is 180€ 3x32 is 1120€ and yes all wiring will need to be upgraded.
on 3x25, if the charge group is tripped at 3x 16A you get 11kW, with loadbalancer you are also allowed to trip @ 3x20A which then gives you 13.7kW. Saving all domestic upgrading costs. The question then remains if retrofit upgrading the car is worth it for that 2.7kW extra.
again this is NL not sure how it works in other countries.

if your house is newly delivered and you’re moving in, needing to decide on everything, or you’re buying your first wall charger, or you’re getting a “free” install as part of your company car scheme, your business case will again be totally different.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Also, pretty curious that Porsche just announced an upgraded onboard charger for the Taycan. (The charger is in the car NOT on the wall - all we have on the wall is basically an on/off relay). Curiously, this would seem to lend credence to the original claim (from the "Porsche Insider") that the lower power onboard charger was a main cause of these battery issues. ...and why the charger was upgraded on the Audi ETron GT when they started using the same platform.

New AC on-board charger upgrade for the Porsche Taycan dramatically reduces charging times - Porsche Newsroom USA
WTF is wrong with you?

That’s just the 19.2kW retrofit option. It has has nothing to do with battery issues (real or imagined). 🙄

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

That's some leaps you make. The announcement you referenced is about a retrofit available for people who would like a faster charger, which has been available on new cars for a couple of years now (all but first model year Taycan IIRC). New cars today don't get that charger for free either, actually the majority of Taycans are ordered without it, so by your logic, majority of Taycans today get a bad charger!

I think what you are experiencing is confirmation bias, which is a human psychology weakness. You believed a conspiracy theory you read somewhere, and are now hyper-focusing on anything which might confirm it, while ignoring anything which might disprove it. I'm surprised you are not selling the Taycan and buying a Tesla, Mercedes or some other non VAG EV.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I think the argument @evanevery was trying to make is that the 22kW charger will save his battery from dying or catching on fire somehow, regardless of the actual rate of charge used at home or elsewhere.

EDIT> I am not agreeing with @evanevery , just pointing out what I think is the argument being made.

Last edited:

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I think the argument @evanevery was trying to make is that the 22kW charger will save his battery from dying or catching on fire somehow, regardless of the actual rate of charge used at home or elsewhere.

EDIT> I am not agreeing with @evanevery , just pointing out what I think is the argument being made.
I got that, I don’t think at lower rates there isn’t any difference either. I was merely pointed out that it’s not just the upgrade, but all the other stuff that needs to happen too, before you can charge at 22kW. (at least in NL) it’s an expensive excersize

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
this is how you feed bullshit conspiracy theories:

- Porsche just announced an upgraded onboard charger for the Taycan.

- the charger was upgraded on the Audi ETron GT when they started using the same platform.
Porsche announced that upgraded charger only in the US. It's already in ROW or EU cars (called 22kW OBC) as an option for 2+ years.
And there is a retrofit option as well, which is probably quite new.

Audi Etron-GT always has the same OBC as Taycan, I think even the partnumber is mainly the same (only last suffix character for sub version may change)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche announced that upgraded charger only in the US. It's already in ROW or EU cars (called 22kW OBC) as an option for 2+ years.
In US too, it's just called 19.2KW - available on new cars for a while. Even the upgrade was made available before the "announcement" - I think they waited for the 80A wall connector to be available before making it into a news story.