Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
it has a "threshold" if your battery gets 'below' the threshold it's a warranty issue - some degradation is allowed with out triggering the warranty…
Thanks. But what is that “threshold” exactly? For Tesla it is 70%.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
I think the battery pack has temperature control (as long as there is enough power for the temp controller). I suspect that is one of the reasons to keep the battery level in a safe band (20% to 50%, I think). The problem exists for all lithium-ion batteries. I cannot imagine Taycan's battery is more susceptible than say Tesla's. Tesla and other EVs must have the same problem. I suspect the Tesla car gives warnings telling the user to charge or otherwise take actions and not doing so can void the warranty. Here is an exerpt from Tesla battery warranty:

Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional actions (including
intentionally abusing or destroying your vehicle or ignoring active vehicle warnings or service
notifications)
a collision or accident (excluding from Battery fires as specified above), or the
servicing or opening of the Battery or Drive Unit by non-Tesla or non-certified personnel, is not
covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
it has a "threshold" if your battery gets 'below' the threshold it's a warranty issue - some degradation is allowed with out triggering the warranty…

Reactions: Reg

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The claims from the article come from the following section on Porsche's European website. They are simply recommendations to maintain battery health. No mention of voiding the warranty if these recommendations aren't followed. The fact that the author lied about these warranty requirements is a serious blow to his credibility. This added nothing to the article other than trying to making Porsche look bad. It's completely irrelevant to the claim about batteries failing in the field and Porsche covering it up.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/bev/

Porsche Taycan Bizarre 'whistleblower' claims “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires” Untitled

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The fact that the author lied about these warranty requirements is a serious blow to his credibility. This added nothing to the article other than trying to making Porsche look bad. It's completely irrelevant to the claim about batteries failing in the field and Porsche covering it up.
As someone pointed earlier, and it is worth repeating, the author claimed repeatedly that you "MUST" do each of these things. And if you don't the warranty is whacked to 37.5k miles.

to go from "if possible", "should", "is ideal" to "Must or your warranty is whacked" takes a special level of....well, I don't know what the right word is.

As you said, besides, it adds nothing to the article, and it is odd to even lie about it, when he has the huge "claim" that Porsche is committing a wide spread fraud.

Despite this being pointed out, he hasn't changed his article and issued a correction. Surprise!

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
article is BS.
The original article is total horseshit!
Totally. The author is a Tesla troll. I wish people would stop playing this game. We’re all in the same EV boat and it would be good to read real information, not nonsense.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The article is bullshit but carefully stirs in some unpleasant truths to mask this. The v12 battery issue was pretty lame and severe, but it was also properly reported to NHTSA and other regulatory bodies. There is literally zero evidence Porsche is fraudulently hiding defects from authorities let alone 60% of cars.

Porsche just swapped all the ENGINES out of ‘21 caymans. I’m sure they wish they didn’t have to, and it was damn expensive. But they reported the issue promptly and paid for the recall.

The idea they are hiding this for a small charger part is pretty outrageous. Sure, VW / Porsche have earned suspicion after Dieselgate. But there are over 500 dealers world wide. There is no way a mess of this size is being swept under the rug.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Bizarre 'whistleblower' claims “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires” 1638701509096

I wonder if they equally eagerly report about facts: "Tesla China recalls 21,599 China Produced Model Y" ;)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Without getting into a mud slinging match, it is remarkable the devotion a lot of Tesla fans have.

My only comparison is Apple / Steve Jobs.....but Musk / Tesla Superfans do seem more embedded in their views.

Heres another Tesla article from a UK daily paper last week.
The bit I found most interesting was this.

His review rankled some fans of Musk and Tesla, prompting one to accuse the journalist of taking money from Ford or Volkswagen in exchange for a bad review.

"@elonmusk, what's your guess on how much @VW and @Ford paid Tim Stevens to do this review on the Model Y?" one Twitter user said, delving into conspiracy theories.

Full article here :
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...esla-review-viral-autopilot-b1965125.html?amp

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I found this on the Teslarati forum, why is this not being shared on this forum. I have read some issues around a drop of range from one day to another day. Could this be one of the issues. It is comming from the competition but still..

https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-w...HJVZc3wZkx7cxidwhHOwzamqax3k8PzaV8ot7LDwTml70

Porsche give you a warranty on the battery of 160k or 8 years from the dealer (not factory?), but and this is important:

If a capacity measurement at an authorized Porsche dealer or service company within the warranty period shows that the net battery capacity at the time stated below is below the percentages (warranty values) stated below, the part that is below the relevant warranty value constitutes a excessive loss of capacity within the meaning of these warranty conditions:
• 100% of the net battery capacity at the time of first delivery or first vehicle registration;
• 80% of the net battery capacity within three years resp. at a mileage of 60,000 km after the first delivery or first registration number;
• 70% of the net battery capacity within eight years resp. at a mileage of 160,000 km after the first delivery or first registration number.

Read the article I added very good.
Tesla has more thrust in their products than Porsche...
You might want to read the other thread on this "article". It has been mostly debunked and seems very fishy with the author outright lying about warranty issues.

As for the above, what is your point? Every EV maker has similar thresholds. See below for an excerpt from the Tesla Warranty:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Note that unlike the Porsche warranty if your Telsa battery falls to 70% capacity the day after you drive it off the lot it is not considered a warranty issue.

Last edited:

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
You might want to read the other thread on this "article". It has been mostly debunked and seems very fishy with the author outright lying about warranty issues.

As for the above, what is your point? Every EV maker has similar thresholds. See below for an excerpt from the Tesla Warranty:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Note that unlike the Porsche warranty if your Telsa battery falls to 70% capacity the day after you drive it off the lot it is not considered a warranty issue.
As I mentioned. It is coming from the competition. And I have read some strange range drops on this forum. But it seems already being published on Wednesday. So sorry for bringing this up...

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
I came here to post the same thing.

It doesn't seem "inventive" however.. this is a problem that was difficult to solve. Similar issues with early Tesla Model S / X and the charging logic (dictated by the onboard charger). It does seem relevant, although short on evidence.
Be aware this is always the case with whistleblowers. The producer always try to hide the evidence away...I like to say here, where smoke is must be fire...

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Be aware this is always the case with whistleblowers. The producer always try to hide the evidence away...I like to say here, where smoke is must be fire...
A whistleblower is not the same as "an anonymous person who doesn't back up anything they say with facts and documentation".

For instance, the whistleblower in the Facebook case, came out publicly and produced tons of documents and emails to support her claims.

where smoke is must be fire
Where there is BS, there is also smoke, especially if it is dropped on the ground during a cold day - this is a steamy turd until someone comes up with actual evidence to support this.
Sponsored