struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Oh boy, your comprehensive reading is way off.
But then again, Canadians always are.
Sorry about that. :)
Hey!! Leave me out of this. ?
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: Dee

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Someone has to be the first. And well, we can wish.
Why? My battery is excellent - much superior to my MS90D. What do you wish to get within the next few year? 120 kWh net solid state with same size and weight?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The battery permanently loses capacity, and therefore range, over time (technically over charge cycles). Let's say ten years from now the battery has only 150 miles of range, and a new technology drop-in replacement provides 350 miles of range, weighs less, but costs $40k. Seems like a good deal to me compared to scrapping the Taycan or being limited to short trips.
Invest 40k!!!! in a 10 year old car which still drives ok? Who would do that?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why? My battery is excellent - much superior to my MS90D. What do you wish to get within the next few year? 120 kWh net solid state with same size and weight?
For current cars improved range through whatever software upgrades are possible for the existing installed battery.

For future models improved battery chemistry or further out new battery designs.

IMHO for most uses the current range is probably adequate, but there are three cases where increased range would be helpful.
1. Improved cold weather range
2. Improved range for those who drive at really high speeds (>80 mph)
3, Improved range to extend the distance between charging stops so less of them are required

Tongue in cheek, I equate adequate range to bladder capacity. When you are full the car should be empty.

ilsaair

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S, 1989 560SL, 2020 Range Rover Velar
Country flag
This and other reasons are why for the first time in my life I have 'leased' anything. Always viewed it as trying to have something more than you can afford (no judgement on anyone, I just buy everything in cash...personal choice). However, the economics on EV's are going to be much different now that many automakers are joining in, competition will drive quick improvement cycles and Moore's Law has a huge impact here.
I viewed leasing in this case as almost an insurance policy protecting against massive depreciation and even, potentially, obsolescence in 3-years. Eventually, like the longevity of the light bulb filament wars, muscle car power wars, etc. The competition will level out and I believe they will go into smaller, incremental upgrades. However, for now, I view that the 'EV War' is on and many want to become king of the hill.
I no longer think it will be like Tesla's release and then not much change for 7+ years....I see multiple brands of EV's now and charging networks will follow suit. It will be a wild ride and I expect in 3-years we will have a much different market (assuming COVID does not come roaring back).
Agree 100% - I leased my Taycan on the recommendation of the dealer who said that in 3 years the Taycan will be much different than the one I leased. Let Porsche have the risk.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Software can improve range a few ways (and in fact this has already happened in a couple of EVs I have owned):

1) As manufacturer collects more data on the road they may change the drivetrain behaviour, power curves, and front/back balance to achieve better efficiency (the I-Pace gained almost 10% range that way).

2) As they have more data on battery longevity they may reduce the top and bottom “buffer” allowing more usable KWHrs. This will also add range.

As others have said the Taycan is quite conservative in its capacity usage. Tesla pushes further and has in earlier cars suffered from degradation.
Sponsored