daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I read the article- upgrade to what? seems to me to be a different source for batteries - we know batteries will get better overtime- but production according to the article won’t begin until 2024 (at the earliest) and they are not committing to any “big” changes over what we already have.

I’d love a battery upgrade also - but I think the improvements in terms of commericial/consumer-visible changes are like on a 5-7 year cycle - you’ll get the upgrade when you get your next EV…

but I welcome any data indicating otherwise - but so far the battery upgrade cycle is about the same amount time I keep vehicles and then look for the next one…so I”m not sure we’re missing out on very much.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The article said something a little bit different.

There was a link to upgrades which could only apply to existing Taycan models which is what would concern current users. The second link in the article.
Here https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-is-already-upgrading-the-taycans-batteries

After that stuff on new battery development and manufacture.
So Twitter is the reliable source now...
One, just one customer, a totally unknown character, just made a claim about something...
Oh boy, where is this world going to?
"I read on Facebook that someone on the Taycan forum found a link in an article that was on the internet where someone on Twitter said Porsche is upgrading their batteries"...
He said it.....so must be true.
Ehr....
Only thing we know for sure is that there's a chip shortage and guess what's in a Taycan battery?...

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So Twitter is the reliable source now...
One, just one customer, a totally unknown character, just made a claim about something...
Oh boy, where is this world going to?
"I read on Facebook that someone on the Taycan forum found a link in an article where someone on Twitter said Porsche is upgrading their batteries"...
He said it.....so must be true.
Ehr....
Someone has to be the first. And well, we can wish.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The article said something a little bit different.

There was a link to upgrades which could only apply to existing Taycan models which is what would concern current users. The second link in the article.
Here https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-is-already-upgrading-the-taycans-batteries

After that stuff on new battery development and manufacture.
“News of the battery pack upgrade comes from a Porsche Taycan Turbo customer known on Twitter by the handle ClarkDennisM, who says his car was delayed by a week while an unspecified battery update was applied. The tweet is provided above.” Yeah, right.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
This and other reasons are why for the first time in my life I have 'leased' anything. Always viewed it as trying to have something more than you can afford (no judgement on anyone, I just buy everything in cash...personal choice). However, the economics on EV's are going to be much different now that many automakers are joining in, competition will drive quick improvement cycles and Moore's Law has a huge impact here.
I viewed leasing in this case as almost an insurance policy protecting against massive depreciation and even, potentially, obsolescence in 3-years. Eventually, like the longevity of the light bulb filament wars, muscle car power wars, etc. The competition will level out and I believe they will go into smaller, incremental upgrades. However, for now, I view that the 'EV War' is on and many want to become king of the hill.
I no longer think it will be like Tesla's release and then not much change for 7+ years....I see multiple brands of EV's now and charging networks will follow suit. It will be a wild ride and I expect in 3-years we will have a much different market (assuming COVID does not come roaring back).

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This and other reasons are why for the first time in my life I have 'leased' anything. Always viewed it as trying to have something more than you can afford (no judgement on anyone, I just buy everything in cash...personal choice). However, the economics on EV's are going to be much different now that many automakers are joining in, competition will drive quick improvement cycles and Moore's Law has a huge impact here.
I viewed leasing in this case as almost an insurance policy protecting against massive depreciation and even, potentially, obsolescence in 3-years. Eventually, like the longevity of the light bulb filament wars, muscle car power wars, etc. The competition will level out and I believe they will go into smaller, incremental upgrades. However, for now, I view that the 'EV War' is on and many want to become king of the hill.
I no longer think it will be like Tesla's release and then not much change for 7+ years....I see multiple brands of EV's now and charging networks will follow suit. It will be a wild ride and I expect in 3-years we will have a much different market (assuming COVID does not come roaring back).
Moore's law only applies for chips, not for cars or range, c'mon...lol!
Besides, why would a Porsche drive differently in 3 years time?
It'll be the exact same car and will depreciate as much as high end cars will depreciate.
I think you're mixing up the wrong kind of features.
300 km of range will be the same as 3 years back.
Maybe I'm missing your point but I think your concerns are invalid, except being a first ev user.
Once you actually own an EV you'll see range isn't that big of an issue at all...

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Moore's Law is often extrapolated to many aspects of technology. I have had my EV since Feb, and time will tell....bookmark this if you want and see where we are at in July of 2024.......until then, it is just an opinion and you are welcome to yours.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I agree 100%, this is precisely the reason that I leased this car. regardless of branding the EV world is on the cusp of exploding into the mainstream and R & D from many new places will be incredibly rapid in the coming years. Your assessment is spot on regarding functional obsolescence, I learned that lesson with my first tesla, I realized that as soon as AP 1 was introduced the tesla that I owned, 14 months old, was functionally obsolete and I immediately traded it for an AP 1 equipped car.
for those who think that their current taycan battery pack will be upgraded to this new one I have bad news for you, it won't happen for a myriad of reasons.
the changes coming will be fast and furious and for the most part it is all good.

a couple of reports that I stumbled on today regarding the rapid evolution of EVs

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/mercedes-commits-47-billion-investment-fully-electric-vehicles

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/v...parity-ice-vehicles-will-be-reached-2-3-years

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
“News of the battery pack upgrade comes from a Porsche Taycan Turbo customer known on Twitter by the handle ClarkDennisM, who says his car was delayed by a week while an unspecified battery update was applied. The tweet is provided above.” Yeah, right.
I recall but can't exactly place it, a member of this forum posting that he thought his range had increased after an update. So we have now have two reports. A "nebulous" Twitter poster and a forum poster, all members of which are highly respected and credible.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I recall but can't exactly place it, a member of this forum posting that he thought his range had increased after an update. So we have now have two reports. A "nebulous" Twitter poster and a forum poster, all members of which are highly respected and credible.
you are commenting on the current battery pack while others are commenting on a new, soon to come battery pack

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
you are commenting on the current battery pack while others are commenting on a new, soon to come battery pack
Exactly. You aren't going to be able to upgrade a battery pack with a new battery pack or new hardware, but the software part could be upgraded. That is what both the forum poster and Twitter poster are implying. Something for nothing. I will take that deal anytime. Let's see what happens.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan was designed to simplify battery pack replacement. As quoted in Jalopnik, battery pack replacement is “’...really quite easy,’ claims Steffen König, who led the Taycan’s body design.” Others have posted their experience of having the high voltage battery replaced with surprisingly little shop time. So the question comes down to whether Porsche in the future will offer new technology battery packs compatible with early Taycans. Given how Porsche has invested heavily into parts production and training to maintain classic Porsches, we have reason to be optimistic for the Taycan.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I hope you are right. Would be nice.
Sponsored