I love my Taycan but detest Electrify America. Any hope on the horizon? (very long, sorry)

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Sorry for the length of this rant. If you don't want to read it, I'm basically just asking if there're any short-term positive developments on the horizon that'll improve the public charging experience for Taycan owners.

----

2021 Taycan Turbo S owner here...

I need to make a decision to either renew my lease on the existing vehicle, place an order for a new Taycan, or switch to Tesla and migrate back to Taycan in a few years when Porsche's charging infrastructure provides at least some minimal level of reliability.

It's such a difficult decision because the Taycan driving experience is phenomenal. It's the most enjoyable car ever. But Electrify America fails miserably on so many levels. It's by far the least reliable vendor in a notoriously unreliable industry. I truly loathe EA.

My complaints aren't unique. They've been documented by countless others on this forum:

• Inconsistent charging speeds; 150kW and 350kW chargers topping out at 40-50kW
• Frequently broken, offline, error messages
• Payment and protocol failures; In a bank of six chargers, it's not unusual for four or five to be out of order or just randomly fail mid-charge.

...and I'm not operating out of Gooberhead, Montana or some crazy remote area. I'm in San Diego, Las Vegas, Newport Beach, etc. -- cities where EVs are widely embraced.

I did my research on this forum prior to getting the car. I read that home charging is more than adequate for day-to-day use, but the Taycan may not be suitable for road trips.

My impression was that the public charging infrastructure was somewhat sketchy but was improving rapidly. So I knew what I was getting into. I only have myself to blame, but man, is it my imagination or does the public EV charging infrastructure actually seem to be getting worse with time?

Consider my main use cases: San Diego to Vegas (approx. 350 miles) and San Diego to Newport Beach (approx. 90 miles).

I can realistically expect to get only 160 miles on a charge, even with the more powerful battery. And yeah, I drive it in Sport Plus mode. That's fine. I knew the range sucked when I leased it but I guess I figured that there'd be at least some minimal number of working, reasonably fast (125kW+) chargers to balance the equation.

And there were, for a while. Between San Diego and Las Vegas, for example, there were solid EA chargers in weird little towns like Barstow and Hesperia that could deliver kWs in the mid 100's to low 200's. There were also some 150kW chargers in Baker via EVGo. But reliability started going down the toilet and as of now, the Barstow and Hesperia EA chargers are completely shut down.

There're now some solid EA chargers in Baker that'll put out 200+kW , but there's no way to make it from San Diego to Baker on a single charge, so I'm kind of screwed. There are some third party vendors like EVGo and ChargePoint that I'd be happy to use, but my experience and that of other PlugShare people is that few of them actually work. You basically have to wait for the one or two working chargers to become available and then get 50kW if you're lucky!

The public chargers at the rest stops have been vandalized or otherwise fallen completely into disrepair.

I can't even make the trip from San Diego to Vegas anymore in the Taycan. Well, I could, but it would be very long and very risky. I have to fly now.

My hope was that some of the EA charging locations that were taken offline were being "upgraded," since that's what's indicated on the PlugShare app. But I've found that "upgrade" seems to be a codeword for "abandoned" in EA parlance. Consider this EA charging station in San Diego at the UTC mall. Some EA employee wrote "upgrade" at the site, it was at one time posted to PlugShare with a "upgrade/maintenance" status, but it's been sitting idle since August of 2021. That's over eighteen months! They haven't even taken the plastic off the charging cords during that period. See pic below.

Porsche Taycan I love my Taycan but detest Electrify America. Any hope on the horizon? (very long, sorry) ea-1

You might say, "Fine. Longer road trips specifically to Las Vegas are no longer possible for you but shorter ones to other CA cities should work." But even that's no longer viable. Consider a round trip from San Diego to Newport Beach. The EA in Newport has eight chargers and only two of them work. That's been the case for maybe six months. Now the site is shut down entirely, again for "upgrades."

There's a 6.6kW ChargePoint trickle-charger located in the upstairs parking lot of the Fashion Island mall. It's broken. Here's what someone wrote on it:

Porsche Taycan I love my Taycan but detest Electrify America. Any hope on the horizon? (very long, sorry) cp-2

Notes like this, vandalizations, smashed plugs, and other misguided manifestation of EV-owner rage are becoming more common.

There's also a 50kW charger with a broken CCS handle. No one can use it. It's been like that for months. Which leaves one remaining 50kW ChargePoint charger at the mall, which occasionally does work, but when it does, it's almost always in use. There's a single offsite 50kW charger at the Newport Civic Center / Library that'll sometimes work. Had a forty-five minute chat with a homeless man last time I used it.

So, even a quick day trip to the Newport isn't really viable for me anymore. I did eventually find a 150kW EVGo charger located at an empty bowling alley in neighboring Irvine that has one working charger. The others are broken.

The public charging situation is looking really bleak for EV owners. Unless you're a Tesla owner. Those dudes seem to have no issues at all. Broken chargers aren't even on their radar as an area of concern.

All that said... Is there any good news on the horizon for non-Tesla EV owners? EA shows no signs of improving. They actually seem to be getting noticeably worse, and quickly. Other once-reliable vendors like EVGo and ChargePoint are letting their sites gradually fall into states of disrepair as well. What's the outlook for Taycan owners? Is it just a matter of, "Charge at home or don't charge at all and only use the vehicle for short in-town trips", or is there some light at the end of this dark tunnel?

Last edited:

Payton48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't think it'll improve in the near term. I think EA will continue to expand, hopefully they'll start to do a better job with maintenance and uptime, but I don't think public charging infrastructure as a whole will be able to keep pace with EV adoption/ growth.

I'm in south OC and you may want to look at stopping to charge at the Spectrum EA chargers or at the Target off Alicia/I5. Those tend to be in good working order most of the time.

Zwick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just joined the forum, and just last week made the trip from San Diego to Vegas, which I expect to do regularly, as well as Los Angeles, like yourself. I was a bit nervous, but have a friend that makes the trip regularly in his EV, so was feeling OK about it.

Fortunately, and maybe since it has been 4 months since you tried, things have gotten better. I decided to go for 3 stops to always keep the charge above 50% for this first try. I stopped at an Electrify America in Colton, which is just off the 215 near the base of the Cajon Pass, and then in Barstow at the one you mentioned, and then in Baker.

Both the Colton and Barstow stations were great, they had 6-10 units, most of which were 350kW, several open spaces, and I connected up and charged right away with ease. I was getting insane speed, went from 50% to 85% in 12-15 minutes at both stations.

I got to Baker, and it was being renovated / replaced (which I later realized the app and online forums knew, and I hadn't studied), so I was a bit panicky. I had 120m range left, and it was 85m to Vegas, with a LOT of uphill to get over Halloran Pass. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot yet, so I put it in range mode, and kept it at 75mph until the top of the climb, at which point I was at 65m range and 62m to go! However, it was all downhill from there, and I rolled into Vegas with 40m of range remaining.

The return trip was a breeze, because mostly more downhill, I only stopped once in Barstow, as I was charged up to 100% for free in the Aria parking garage.

I just read on plugshare that the Baker site is back online with 8 high-speed chargers.

Granted this is a small example, and you seem to have more experience, as I have only charged in my garage for the past 8 months. But given how many different stations are available along the way, I still feel confident about my next trip to Vegas in July.

One question for you -- I also like to drive in Individual Sport or Extreme Sport mode for daily driving, however on a long freeway trip, there seems to be very little difference, so why not drive in Normal or Range mode to maximize charge/mileage?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
You say that you get only 160 miles and drive in Sport Plus mode on your long distance trips. I get the appeal of having access to all of the power all of the time, but you would be doing yourself a favor in steady state driving by using range mode. Also, what kind of cruising speeds to you maintain? My 4S can get close to 280 miles if I use range mode and moderate my speed; say, keep it under 75mph. I know it can be frustrating keeping speeds down on open stretches but when you factor in the time required to do an extra charge you'll probably come out ahead by going a little slower.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I got to Baker, and it was being renovated / replaced (which I later realized the app and online forums knew, and I hadn't studied), so I was a bit panicky. I had 120m range left, and it was 85m to Vegas, with a LOT of uphill to get over Halloran Pass. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot yet, so I put it in range mode, and kept it at 75mph until the top of the climb, at which point I was at 65m range and 62m to go! However, it was all downhill from there, and I rolled into Vegas with 40m of range remaining.
Just curious, was this station not flagged as unavailable in the car's nav?

And welcome!

Zwick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just curious, was this station not flagged as unavailable in the car's nav?

And welcome!
Haha yes, I just didn't pay attention to the fact that some stations showed the number of chargers in green (available and operational), and others in black/gray (not available). Was just a rookie mistake making my first long trip, won't happen again! (Also, I was just using google maps to direct me from station to station, as I had researched the route previously).

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
a forum member, @whitex bought a brand new taycan in the carolinas and drove it all the way back to washington state, with minimal to no charging issues. That tells me all i need to know about the state of EA chargers for long distance roadtrips.

I would never use a DCFC for local travel. So i think if you focus your DCFC needs to long distance trips only, you'll be fine.

Of course the problem is that everyone in CA and their mom has an EV so those stations are just going to get overused, beat up, whatever. ironically a station that sees little use in the middle of nowhere tends to do fine.

Tesla superchargers is not a reliable option. Even with the 400V/150kw booster, you're still at least 120kw below the max 270kw speed of the taycan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla superchargers is not a reliable option. Even with the 400V/150kw booster, you're still at least 120kw below the max 270kw speed of the taycan.
yeah no you're just wrong

Tesla is the MOST reliable charging network available in North America -and the total charge time difference between 270 kW vs. 150 kW is about 6-8 minutes _TOTAL_ - and you rarely get 270 kW from an EA station - so a reliable 150 kW charge rate with Taycan @ a V2/V3 supercharger will be both reliable and probably faster than actual charge rates you'll get from EA if you can get them to even work - also given the great number of stalls w/Supercharger sites you're more likely to actually be able to charge when you arrive vs. EA that has few stalls and typically 50% of them are out of commission…

the math say due to the taper curve 8 minute advantage for 270 kW vs. 150 kW…because you do not get 270 kW for the entire session and by about 50% battery you're down to 150 kW any ways due to battery tapering…

if you want a reliable and fast EV charging network the Supercharger network is vastly better than _ANY_ alternative currently available, not fan boy, just stating facts.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP, I had similar concerns after a few long trips. I solved that problem with this…

Porsche Taycan I love my Taycan but detest Electrify America. Any hope on the horizon? (very long, sorry) IMG_6129

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
yeah no you're just wrong

Tesla is the MOST reliable charging network available in North America -and the total charge time difference between 270 kW vs. 150 kW is about 6-8 minutes _TOTAL_ - and you rarely get 270 kW from an EA station - so a reliable 150 kW charge rate with Taycan @ a V2/V3 supercharger will be both reliable and probably faster than actual charge rates you'll get from EA if you can get them to even work - also given the great number of stalls w/Supercharger sites you're more likely to actually be able to charge when you arrive vs. EA that has few stalls and typically 50% of them are out of commission…

the match say due to the taper curve 8 minute advantage for 270 kW vs. 150 kW…because you do not get 270 kW for the entire session and by about 50% battery you're down to 150 kW any ways due to battery tapering…

if you want a reliable and fast EV charging network the Supercharger network is vastly better any _ANY_ alternative currently available, not fan boy, just stating facts.
I'll second this. Had to change stalls once in 3.5 years with my Tesla. I just took a 2,200 mile round trip in the Taycan (Florida to NJ and back via Route 95 and Route 81). 9 DC charging stops in total along reasonably well traveled roads. 5 get a failing grade. 63 kW @ a 350 unit. 42 kW @ a 150. 128 kW @ a 350. 41 kW @ a 150 - called EA support and got it up to 110 kW. Failed to connect at a 150, failed at both handles of a second 150, called EA support and they initiated a charge that peaked at 174 kW. 4 charges were connect relatively quickly, get a peak of 260+ kW and have the car ready before a bio break and a granola bar. When EA works correctly it is fast with the Taycan. Possibly faster that getting gas, parking and doing the bathroom and snack routine. But now add in the time at a severely reduced charging rate or with having the connection fail and then the time spent with customer support. Tesla's reliable charge at 150 KW is almost certainly faster on average than screwing around with EA and never knowing what you will get out of their equipment.

As an aside the car itself is a great long distance machine. Around 230 miles of range when charged to 85% and driving between 70 and 80 mph, wonderful chassis, quiet cabin, comfortable seats. A really great place to spend time eating up the miles. The intelligent range manager isn't. Intelligent doesn't, on more than one occasion, have a constantly spinning icon for the entire time between chargers, or suddenly announce that it has changed the route without being asked to so so. But that's a different post and nothing that ABRP and PlugShare can't deal with.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
when a 350 kW charger works and EA activates the 1st time there is _NO_ EV on the market that charges as fast as Taycan - it's a wonderful world class experience and better than _ANY_ Tesla supercharger stop I experienced since 2012 and more than 250,000 miles of driving Tesla's

however it's terribly hit/miss and most of the time a sub-optimal experience - and the mathematical fact remains that the actual difference between 270 kW charge w/Taper and a 150 kW charger Is at most an 8 minute savings of a 22 minute stop vs. a 30 min stop.

a solid 150 kW charging stop is really very very doable and not that horrible time wise, and difference in the grand scheme of things is minimal - factor in the fact that you won't get 270 kW most of the time, and you're lucky to get more than 100 kW from EA - and I'l take a Tesla supercharger with their superior reliability, availability, and consistency of charge rate over EA most any day of the week or any location you care to consider.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Spot the Tesla fanboy in the forum trying to mansplain the Tesla supercharger network to someone who’s owned 4 teslas since 2016
Sponsored