First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
well I've been struck by the 12v problem - will attempt to revive

car will go to dealership in the morning.

finished a 240+ trip - got home fine (16% battery) left the charge plugged in and charging over night - woke up this morning and it's completely dead.
Sponsored

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Quick question. Did you switch off the car and lock it after you started charging it?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
car was off - but unlocked

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my write up to my porsche dealer…
------------------------

Team,
My Taycan was struck by the dreaded “dead 12 volt” issue late last night
I have recovered the vehicle at this time - and will drive it to Stevens creek for full diagnostics. I am uninterested in the return of the vehicle until this issue has been thoroughly diagnosed. I would appreciate a 4 door loaner (eHybrid if it can be arranged) while you and Porsche investigate this serious design fault that a vehicle lets a 12 volt battery die in the middle the of a charging session while attached to a full 40 amp 240 volt power source.
Here is a log of the past 72 hours so I can shed light on what the car has been doing to assist Porsche with any diagnostic analysis
Friday Sept. 27th
drove from Santa Cruz to Sunnyvale (employer’s office) - 45 miles Plugged car into public charger - 6 kW charge rate - 11 minutes Unplugged vehicle
Drive 2 miles to my office building
Plugged car into public charger - 6 kW charge rate - 1:48 minutes Drove vehicle 88 miles to Electrify America Charge
Successfully used EA America charger - started session via Porsche “Connect” app - super easy
Vehicle charged to approximate 92% - 78 kW maximum charge rate observed (350 kW station) Drove Vehicle another 12 miles to hotel
Stayed overnight
Vehicle was unplugged over nigh
Saturday Sept. 28th Woke up
Drove the vehicle 81 miles from Winters, CA to thunder hill raceway park
Vehicle was parked all day @ thhunderhill plugged into a NEMA 14-50 (7-8 kW charge rate) Vehicle charged all day @ ~7.1 kW
Pre-conditioning AC climate control was _ON_ for at least 60% of the day while the vehicle was charging Vehicle was charged to 100% SOC by 5:20 pm
There was HEAVY use through out the day of Porsche “Connect" app
Checking on charging status - Thunderhill RV breakers always pop - they did multiple times during charging session
Charging was restored when I restore the breaker
AC pre-conditoning to keep the vehicle cool was enabled for most of the day
AC pre-conditionoing was enabled via the “Climate” button in the porsche connect app
There was _NO_ modification of vehicle charging timers or profiles - only vehicle status and AC pre-conditioning was used via app
Vehicle was physically accessed multiple time through out the day while charging, doors, frunk, and trunk were access
_ONLY_ usage of connect app was for vehicle status and pre-conditioning control
I was checking on the vehicle through out the day at intervals of 5 to 30 minutes to make sure it was still charging (due to thunderhil’s flaky breakers)
Vehicles was _NOT_ tracked at thunder hill - I was visiting - records can be provided - and the car was not approved by PCA for _ANY_ track access - so it was not allowed on track
Vehicle was charged to 100% SOC - completed at approximate 5:30 pm
Various PCA members were provided with short but spirited tested drive - all were impressed - I think I sold 2 taycans!!
I departed Thunderhill @ 6:20 for a 217 mile drive
Vehicle nav estimated arrival at @6% battery at trip beginning
Vehicle was driven gingerly in range mode (2-4 mph below speed limit) to extend range
I arrive at my destination at 17% battery - my gingerly driving worked!!! Range extended!!!
This was an awesome trip!!! And the vehicle achieved an average consumption rate of 3.22 mile/kWh - very very efficient and well above EPA estimates
Vehicle Status upon arrival shown below - this should be interesting to Porsche because I track the battery Voltage and main battery temp in my information screen - battery SOC 17%, 12volt Battery voltage 13.4 volt (normal based on my experience), main battery temp 89F, time 10:33 pm
Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229161939

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229162069
Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229162177

I plugged into my 11 kW EVSE at 10:35 pm
Charging was cooking along at 10.5 kW at 10:39 pm with a target SOC of 85%
I verified charging was still working via Porsche connect app between 11 pm and 11:15 pm - then I went to sleep According to my home power monitoring the vehicle continued to charge until 11:22 pm - but by 11:36 pm it had stopped for some unknown reason - see picture
See picture below - the “blue” spike is power usage for my whole home - you can clearly see it had stopped charging shortly before midnight - reason for charging stopping is unknown at this time - EVSE had power Sunday morning and showed no faults
Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229162238

Sunday Sept. 27th
I awoke at 9 am - launched Porsche connect to see if car had charged - porsche connect could not connect to the vehicle
I checked on the vehcield physically - it was “dead” - 100% dead
Door was unlocked
I recovered the vehicle by applying power to the “frunk” 12 volt connection and opened the frunk using the vehicle fob
I removed the plastic cover - and attached my 12volt battery booster to the positive terminal of the battery and negative ground boost - placing the 12volt booster in “Overload” mode - it recovered the vehicle about 30 seconds later
Vehicle was recovered at 27% main battery SOC - it had failed to complete a charging session while plugged in with 11 kW of power being delivered - but the 12v battery was allowed to go dead in the middle of a charging session Initially the vehicle reported the following errors:
Electric System Fault - Seek Service
12volt Battery low - charge plug vehicle in to charge
At this time vehicle was still connect to the EVSE charger - but the vehicle charging system did not “believe” it was connected to the EVSE
I unplug the EVSE - and plugged it back in
Vehicle recognized the charger and began charging - and is charging at this time 10:18 am (33% SOC as I write this)
At this time all vehicle “faults” have cleared
For some reason the vehicle is only charging at 32 amps - even though the Porsche Mobile Charge Connect can provide 40 amps
Vehicle began the charging session at 40 amps - but is no only taking 32 amps - I have no explanation as to why it’s not charging at the full 40 amp rate - see charging over the past hour - not the drop in charge rate just before 10:21 am
Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229162293

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229162355

Sunday Sept. 27th continued
I’m going to drop the Taycan @ Stevens creek service via night drop key (I don’t have time this week to get the vehicle to service)
I am very active on the Taycan community and deeply familiar with the ongoing 12v problems with the Taycan and reported resolutions to date. Resolutions to date that have been reported by other Taycan owners with similar problems are:
Replacement 12 volt battery due to bad firmware
Replacement of various internal high voltage DC/DC converters present in the vehicle - these faults were found by Porsche NA technical escalations with co-operation from Porsche Germany
Please pursue _ALL_ avenues with escalation to Porsche North America if necessary - I really really want the vehicle returned to me in fully functional trim and the latest diagnostics learned form the world wide fleet regarding this problem.
I had to remove various pieces of trim in recovering the vehicle - please replace those items.
Final Thoughts
Saturday Sept. 26th was the most I have ever used the Porsche connect app - it’s usage remotely has been implicated in the 12v drain problem - and Saturday saw heavy heavy use from me for the first time during usage - I provide this infomraitn in the hopes it will assist porsche with any internal diagnostic analysis as they continue to investigate this serious issue.
Having been in the tech industry for 30 years - I have attempt to provide as much relevant documentation as possible to assist porsche with their diagnostic process - as a customer fault report goes what I have compiled here is a DREAM fault report - few if any customer issues are presented with this much documentation and clear concise information with time lines, and telemetry
The vehicle was fine at 10:33 pm - and less than 2 hours later - it was dead - there is a serious fault here somewhere.
I am mostly satisfied the vehicle, but can not continue to own a vehicle that may not be reliable for random reasons - 12 volt batteries fail, I understand that, but this is egregious and due to design fault with Porsche systems - this makes the Taycan unreliable in the extreme - and this circumstance would’ve been much more disappointing had I been away from home, and had not already investigated recovery steps.
This is a serious problem and I require Porsche’s full attention on resolving this issue. I am not gong to own a $200,000 vehicle that I can rely on being ready in the morning because it dies due to lack of power while being plugged into the power grid - it’s ridiculous in the extreme.
Please advise on loan delivery or pickup options while you give this situation the appropriate amount of attention.
A printed copy of this eMail is with the vehicle.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145360

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145863

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145789

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145720

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145510

Porsche Taycan Car died over night… 1601229145618

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
car is revived - driving it to night drop it off at dealer service - diagnostic report printed and eMail'd to dealer.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Sorry you had to go through this @daveo4EV Thanks for putting together such detailed documentation for them. I truly hope they can get to this bottom of this. Suspecting this issue hadn’t been fully fixed I ordered a lithium battery charger recently /sigh

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
What are the lithium battery chargers people are getting or recommend?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
there are two things going on here:

1. a battery charger “keeps” the LiON 12v charged
  2. a battery “booster” that you use to “recover” the vehicle once the 12V is dead
I purchased and used a NOCO 12v battery booster - it worked well for this morning - this is what recovered my Taycan this morning.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@daveo4EV - so sorry this happened. I take delivery this week and am nervously excited. But these stories are tough to read. Can you detail the steps to “jump start” the 12v battery including how to get the frunk open? I’d ask for pics but sounds like your car is in service.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Have an older version of this jump start lithium battery that has worked well:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Smartec...essories-Carrying-CaseBank-JS-10000/309462882
Good link, I like that one has its own power bank. I’ve seen some solar ones too that I thought might be decent. If you plug this into the OBD (as indicated here for trickle charging: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/long-term-storage.2404/#post-32793) would that be enough to “jump” the battery and not need the whole process to open the trunk and get to the battery terminals?

My SA keeps assuring me that since my car is a new build there is only the 1 campaign remaining and it wouldn’t suffer from the 12v issues...nevertheless I’ve been heavily debating buying a charger for the just-in-case.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good link, I like that one has its own power bank. I’ve seen some solar ones too that I thought might be decent. If you plug this into the OBD (as indicated here for trickle charging: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/long-term-storage.2404/#post-32793) would that be enough to “jump” the battery and not need the whole process to open the trunk and get to the battery terminals?

My SA keeps assuring me that since my car is a new build there is only the 1 campaign remaining and it wouldn’t suffer from the 12v issues...nevertheless I’ve been heavily debating buying a charger for the just-in-case.
I’m right there with you. I get my car this week...praying these issues have been solved but buying the jumper and learning the steps regardless.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
conversation at Porsche dealer during drop off today:

SA: hello David, are you ready for porsche to buy this vehicle back from you yet?
David: you guys are getting close, this 12 volt issue is a serious problem
SA: yeah I know, some customers are experiencing it
David: I’d like porsche NA to comment on this issue for my sanity
SA: the 12 volt issue has Porsche NA’s attention, but no word yet on certainty of a solution
David: well ok here is the vehicle for your diagnostics and you have my eMail
SA: yeah I know - we’ll keep the car to investigate, but it’s a serious problem

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
... If you plug this into the OBD (as indicated here for trickle charging: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/long-term-storage.2404/#post-32793) would that be enough to “jump” the battery and not need the whole process to open the trunk and get to the battery terminals?
Porsche explicitly states not to exceed 3 Amps charging through the OBD connector. My backup is a Battery Tender brand 4 Amp lithium-compatible trickle charger. It is highly unlikely to damage anything - the circuit is most likely fused at 5 Amps (reported but not verified).
Sponsored