First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi all
On my new 4s, which I only got on Thursday, I have been using it with car play.
I’ve been sent around the houses with advice about the whole CarPlay and CarPlay wireless! I am still not too sure but here goes
when I sit in the car CarPlay activates and inter the CarPlay app on the pcm screen.
My dealer told me I have to use the cables connection about five times for it to properly work?
During a typical 35 mins journey to the office the phone is hot when I take it out of the charger.

would any share whether theor iPhone 12 gets hot?
Other than the default apps enabled when using CarPlay are there any mods - I like WhatsApp and ability to use google navigation and spotifier.

I assume everyone then doesn’t use the pcm and it’s built in features or those from the connect store?
Sponsored

OP
OP

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi Kort
yep, thats what i thought. i've had my first proper drive this morning. Got in the car and car play button popped up and all was ok.
Is your phone getting hot after a drive when put in the wireless charging position?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Kort
yep, thats what i thought. i've had my first proper drive this morning. Got in the car and car play button popped up and all was ok.
Is your phone getting hot after a drive when put in the wireless charging position?
the phones tend to heat up when working "hard" regardless of it being used to run car play. I generally run spotify and waze and the phone can get warm.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I think the technology of wireless charging needs a sweet spot of the charging area exactly touching the right part of the phone. Otherwise it is very inefficient, a byproduct of which is generating heat. I think that is why Apple abandoned its plan of the charging pad from 1-2 years ago and now brought it back with the magnet connecting iPhone and charger for a more precise connection.

At least that is how someone explained it to me. So if any wireless charging experts on the forum and this person told me something completely wrong — apologies.

So since there is a lot of leeway in the glovebox for the iPhone (I think you can move it forward or backward by 1 cm) this is probably why you never get the perfect wireless charging connection and hence a lot of heat?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
For me the wireless charging on an iPone 12 Pro (pre latest update) will make the phone VERY HOT. In fact on my last trip, with the interior set to 72F after 45 minutes my phone ended up shutting down from overheating (screen showed the thermal off warning until I manually put it on the AC vent for a few minutes to cool down). I only noticed this when the connection to PCM cut off.

AirPlay is not the cause, it uses WiFi for connection which is a little bit of a power draw but not much. But the wireless charging definitely is not efficient and I may not use it going forward. I wish they had maybe used a reduced charging rate, because as is I am not sure its very useful.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think the technology of wireless charging needs a sweet spot of the charging area exactly touching the right part of the phone. Otherwise it is very inefficient, a byproduct of which is generating heat. I think that is why Apple abandoned its plan of the charging pad from 1-2 years ago and now brought it back with the magnet connecting iPhone and charger for a more precise connection.

At least that is how someone explained it to me. So if any wireless charging experts on the forum and this person told me something completely wrong — apologies.

So since there is a lot of leeway in the glovebox for the iPhone (I think you can move it forward or backward by 1 cm) this is probably why you never get the perfect wireless charging connection and hence a lot of heat?
fwiw: in the tesla model 3 tesla and others sold a pad that the phone would sit on and it worked well, so there might be something to that the phone needs to be seated properly on the charger for it to be efficient. now we need to locate that sweet spot.

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
For me the wireless charging on an iPone 12 Pro (pre latest update) will make the phone VERY HOT. In fact on my last trip, with the interior set to 72F after 45 minutes my phone ended up shutting down from overheating (screen showed the thermal off warning until I manually put it on the AC vent for a few minutes to cool down). I only noticed this when the connection to PCM cut off.

AirPlay is not the cause, it uses WiFi for connection which is a little bit of a power draw but not much. But the wireless charging definitely is not efficient and I may not use it going forward. I wish they had maybe used a reduced charging rate, because as is I am not sure its very useful.
I have had a similar issue with the my iphone 12 overheating while wireless charging and using CarPlay, I think its a combination of the phone working hard and the lack of airflow in the centre console.

While driving around town I don’t use the wireless charging and on a long trip I compromise and use a cable.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Used CarPlay for about 4 hours driving time today.. during that time the iPhone 12 Pro Max sat in the wireless charger and after about 1.5hrs overheated and crashed the WiFi signal. Literally turning off the WiFi and Bluetooth connection.
before this happened the PCM rebooted about 3 times.. blank screen for about 3- seconds then back again. But the car play had to be re-established manually by me.
not impressive at all..

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Used CarPlay for about 4 hours driving time today.. during that time the iPhone 12 Pro Max sat in the wireless charger and after about 1.5hrs overheated and crashed the WiFi signal. Literally turning off the WiFi and Bluetooth connection.
before this happened the PCM rebooted about 3 times.. blank screen for about 3- seconds then back again. But the car play had to be re-established manually by me.
not impressive at all..
Agreed, Apple sucks. This is clearly not Porsche’s fault (except PCM rebooting, although I’ve never experienced that when my iPhone was overheating). Maybe they could’ve put the holder near a vent but who’s to say it wouldn’t be blowing hot air?

I heard Porsche is starting to offer Android Auto... would be interesting to see how well that works in comparison.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I don’t use wireless charging in the car or at home because of this. Heat is very bad for the batteries in the phone (and the car, but that’s a different problem.) I use a cable. It takes two seconds...

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well I use my iPone 12 in other cars with various wireless charging pads and it only overheats in the Taycan. So beg to differ, this is definitely a Porsche design issue. The holder is not keeping the phone close enough to the coil IMHO.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Well I use my iPone 12 in other cars with various wireless charging pads and it only overheats in the Taycan. So beg to differ, this is definitely a Porsche design issue. The holder is not keeping the phone close enough to the coil IMHO.
iPhone 12 works fine with some chargers but not others. Doesn’t seem like they followed the Qi spec very well. Google iPhone 12 wireless charging problems and you will see.

Also which cars and what power output do they have? Taycan actually has a relatively powerful charger. So you can’t hold it against Porsche if that means the phone heats up more... phone should be designed better to handle that charge rate or phone should throttle.

Last edited:

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
I have a similar experience , I put my iPhone in the wireless charger and found that immediately my SoC started to drop while driving - I lost 8% in 10 minutes . I was confused at first about why this was happening, I reached into the compartment to do a bit of quick googling on the phone. The phone was burning hot so I took the phone out of the wireless charger and round that my SoC drain stopped.
anyone faced a drain issue as well?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I gave up on the wireless charging and just have it always wired when on longer drives
Sponsored