First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
software is hard - it takes a lot work to be an overnight success
Software indeed is hard, but on this level unless you have control of complete stack you will not be able to make good software. And Porsche outsources lot of their stuff. So that will never get to be on level of what Apple is providing or Tesla for that matter. The UI design and general software on Tesla is lightyears ahead of Porsche. And its well done. Not perfect, but its much more streamlined and way easier to use than what Porsche put out. And it works.
Sponsored

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
a litte off topic: does anyone know for sure which kind (and size) of hard disk is installed in the PCM? sometimes I hear noises that sound like an old spinning notebook magnetic HDD. But that could also be the AC stuff...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Just heard from dealer. PORSCHE not going to replace modules. They are releasing a major software up date mid to end of march that they claim will fix all the connect and module issues in 2020 taycan’s. Porsche now believes the issues are all software related not hardware. Replacing the OTA chris won t resolve your issues.
It has resolved mine.
But updated (and tested) software is always a good thing.
At least Porsche is working on it.
I prefer waiting for a good fix than a quick fix and more problems after that.
I think Porsche does exactly that.
And, more importantly, Porsche is a company that takes care of it's customers although it might take some time this time, you know, with all this new tech...
Volkswagen already recalls their ID.3s but I think Porsche works more thoroughly to avoid more problems in the future.
Let's see what we get...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
a litte off topic: does anyone know for sure which kind (and size) of hard disk is installed in the PCM? sometimes I hear noises that sound like an old spinning notebook magnetic HDD. But that could also be the AC stuff...
I'd bet a lot of money storage in the PCM is solid state, not spinning media. I have heard similar noises when the AC is on low (below auto), almost as if one of the fans at very low speeds makes some slight noise that goes away at higher speeds. This noise in my case is nearly imperceptible - no chance of hearing it except when the vehicle is parked in a quiet garage with no music playing. Go have a listen, change the fan speed and see if it goes away.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
It has resolved mine.
But updated (and tested) software is always a good thing.
At least Porsche is working on it.
I prefer waiting for a good fix than a quick fix and more problems after that.
I think Porsche does exactly that.
And, more importantly, Porsche is a company that takes care of it's customers although it might take some time this time, you know, with all this new tech...
Volkswagen already recalls their ID.3s but I think Porsche works more thoroughly to avoid more problems in the future.
Let's see what we get...
DEE, porsche issued a bulletin to dealers how to determine if the OTA module is defective. With my car they said OTA was ok, the control module just had to be reset. my cell phone however always connected to my car. What i don’t understand is 2 weeks later OTA, CONTROL MODULE, porsche connect and some pcm features grey out on display. If it were simply software seems odd that all would fail, especially the cell phone device set up to car. Porsche Germany over rode my dealers request to replace “parts”. Did your dealer install new software?
do european taycans have different software then usa taycans? Again seems strange that a software bug would show up 6 months after buying the car and in stages kill features

Steve Sutton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My UK Dealer yesterday (23/2) tells me the OTA needs replacing and is on order from Germany. I've had no Connect since it froze on 10th January. Bizarre but the boot (trunk) now won't shut with the fob or internal boot button even though the Workshop calibration tech says it is ok, he showed me diagnostics which said it was shutting ust fine...... Techie thinks that might be the OTA too which is a worry if it is affecting other stuff on and in the car?

Great car but not a patch on reliability of my 911's (993 thru 992) and I'm getting a bit worried I'm losing a bit of confidence in the car.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Today when I started my car all OTA/ control module, LTE, cell phone and connect application functions were working after several weeks of no connection. I wonder if Porsche did OTA software update today? Can't figure out why everything would start working .

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I asked this on another thread and had no response, maybe someone here has an answer. the tesla vehicles can be rebooted by the driver by pressing the brake pedal and holding the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel, this would help whenever that car got wonky and was always the first step to take before contacting service, is there an similar procedure to reboot the taycan?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I asked this on another thread and had no response, maybe someone here has an answer. the tesla vehicles can be rebooted by the driver by pressing the brake pedal and holding the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel, this would help whenever that car got wonky and was always the first step to take before contacting service, is there an similar procedure to reboot the taycan?
Hey Kort - hold two fingers for a few seconds at the top right of the upper screen near the home button. Sounds weird, but give it a go. Also see:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-reboot-pcm.3021/#post-50940

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cameras and ParkAssist don’t work in my Taycan 4S, but Porsche Winnipeg gave me a Taycan 4S as a loaner. I am not going to complain

Porsche Taycan Central Computer Failures in Taycans FB04EA25-D5DF-4B3E-BD4B-62774DB4932D

Porsche Taycan Central Computer Failures in Taycans CDE82404-352A-4E2F-A48F-274C0DB2DABF

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
on 2/9/21 took car to dealer to fix Connect not working . They diagnosed the issue as the control module (not the OTA). They unplugged it and reprogrammed it. Today the PCM failed. not only no LTE connection but also cell phone won't connect to car. Notified dealer I intend to return the car for a full refund if problem not fixed. Also put Porsche N. America on notice. Dealer called me told me they are seeing several Taycan's with same problem and the central computer in the car is failing. Seems to indicate a problem that many owners will experience since the failures are all starting to occur now. Dealer has 6 computers on order from Germany. Sounds like they expect a lot of failures in coming weeks/months. The idea that connect issues maybe limited to the OTA or control module may not be indicative of the true issue- the true issue could be the central computer is defective and Porsche knows this but has not announced a recall yet. Mercedes Benz recently recalled over 1 million cars for communication problems. BTW counter to what some have stated the NHSTSA Agency does consider OTA, communication modules a safety issue.
I've had a whole host of ghost issues, from XM not being recognized, to antenna issues, as well as errors in emergency functions (calls and emergency stopping) not being operational, and most annoying is my system changes settings on its own, one day the box for passenger screen is checked to be on, the next it is not, lately my smlartlift settings randomly are deleted and sometimes the smartlift tap (general-vehicle-smartlift) is just missing (not greyed out but missing) and then comes back. Dealer is replacing the "control unit" to try and address these issues. Lastly my car has the most annoying AC rattle (metallic sound) that is present all the time, but goes away if I turn off the climate control. I love the car, love all electric, but their control systems and software seem underdeveloped and not ready for prime time.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for your help. No trapped gravel or mud. Noise is from within the dash/or under the hood cowl near the windshield. The Dealer heard the noise, I recorded it as well. It is there whether driving or not when the AC is on, almost sounds like a faint electric morse code sound.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag