andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I plan to charge my Taycan with a gen 2 Tesla HPWC, so I sure hope the software update hasn’t broken this capability. The irony is that the notes from the update explicitly call out improved home charging with third-party EVSEs.....

What does the software update include?
This update provides software optimizations for:

Charging
  • Improved home charging, including charging with third-party charging equipment.
  • Improved stability of charging and further optimization of the timer charging function.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think this bug has to do with 3rd party charger compatibility. In my case it happened without charging. I just accessed the lower screen while the car was off, then the main screen got in a forever spinning. Since it has not finished booting it does not know it should self shut off itself after a few minutes. It looks like we will need another fix for the fix of the 12v drain.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
A follow up on my original post. The technician at the dealership checked for errors in the Taycan related to the charging error. He said it appeared the error was related to the charger, not the car. He did not find any faults in the car. He tested the car charging on the dealership AC charger (I'm not sure of the amperage of their Porsche charger) as well as a DC fast charger and both worked fine.

I plugged the car in again last night using the Tesla wall charger and the 60 amp Tesla Tap Mini. The car started charging, but later had the same charging error. This time I was able to boot up the car just fine using the start button. The Tesla wall charger is showing the same error code as i reported above for "vehicle overcurrent detected" and in the manual it states to "reduce the vehicle's charge current setting." I am not aware that the charge current setting can be adjusted in the Taycan. The wall charger is on a 50 am circuit, but I am aware that the Tesla Wall Charger can deliver up to 48 amps.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is the Tesla Tap Mini. The original Mini I purchased seem to work fine, but there was a manufacturing defect and it came apart. Tesla Tap replaced it with a new one, and both times I have used the new Mini I have received this charging error.

I plan to reach out to Tesla Tap to see if they have any advice. I see from a prior post on this thread that another Taycan owner has also had problems with using the Mini.

Any other suggestions?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
A follow up on my original post. The technician at the dealership checked for errors in the Taycan related to the charging error. He said it appeared the error was related to the charger, not the car. He did not find any faults in the car. He tested the car charging on the dealership AC charger (I'm not sure of the amperage of their Porsche charger) as well as a DC fast charger and both worked fine.

I plugged the car in again last night using the Tesla wall charger and the 60 amp Tesla Tap Mini. The car started charging, but later had the same charging error. This time I was able to boot up the car just fine using the start button. The Tesla wall charger is showing the same error code as i reported above for "vehicle overcurrent detected" and in the manual it states to "reduce the vehicle's charge current setting." I am not aware that the charge current setting can be adjusted in the Taycan. The wall charger is on a 50 am circuit, but I am aware that the Tesla Wall Charger can deliver up to 48 amps.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is the Tesla Tap Mini. The original Mini I purchased seem to work fine, but there was a manufacturing defect and it came apart. Tesla Tap replaced it with a new one, and both times I have used the new Mini I have received this charging error.

I plan to reach out to Tesla Tap to see if they have any advice. I see from a prior post on this thread that another Taycan owner has also had problems with using the Mini.

Any other suggestions?
have you checked the settings inside the Tesla Wall Charger to make sure it's set to the correct breaker setting?

you can safely set the Tesla Wall charger to a lower AMP setting than the breaker - for example if you have a 50 amp breaker - Rotary Positions 1-8 are all "safe" electrically (turn off the breaker before making any changes to the Wall Charger) - I'd set it to position 7 or 8 and see if it stabilizes the charging session.

Porsche Taycan Charging error and now PCM will not boot up Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.52.38 AM

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The wall charger is set to deliver 40 amps and that is confirmed on restart when four green light illuminate on front panel (5 lights would indicate 48 amps, the max for the generation 3 charger).
So far no solution from Tesla Tap. They suggested resetting wall charger, but I have done that already.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
The wall charger is set to deliver 40 amps and that is confirmed on restart when four green light illuminate on front panel (5 lights would indicate 48 amps, the max for the generation 3 charger).
So far no solution from Tesla Tap. They suggested resetting wall charger, but I have done that already.
Your problem sounds identical to mine when I was using my JuiceBox-60 amp breaker charging at 48 amp pre-software upgrade. After the upgrade I would get the charging error as soon as I plugged the charger in, even without charging. Reduced the charge rate down to 40 amp. and still had the same issue. Took the car back to the dealership—they claim they ran all sorts of tests and the car charged fine on their charger so it has to be my JuiceBox. Needing a charger, I disconnected the JuiceBox and reinstalled the PCM and no issues since. Clearly, there is something with the upgrade that does not “play well with third party chargers.”

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
So here is a data point for you. My Tesla Tap also quit working, didn't want to charge, red light on charging port. I took car for updates, this is 2020 model, they had to replace PCM as well as result of the updates. Now Tesla Tap works. I charged it only once but nothing changed on my charging side so... I take it this was an issue with the car.

Note I never got the errors on Tesla wall charger so this might be different from your situation.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today I took the 4S to an EA 350 charger in Reston VA (beside their corporate HQ). The plug and charge seemed to work, though the connection took a couple of minutes to start the charge. The screen noted I was part of the Taycan charging program, so I don't think it was simply a "free charge" for anyone. That was encouraging. I only achieved about 72 kw max charging, but the car was at about 75% SOC and the battery was about 75 degrees F. I charged to 85%.

When I got home, now at about 79% SOC, I pugged in to the Tesla wall charger and the Tesla Tap Mini. The session worked without an error and stopped at 85% as programed.

So, fingers crossed.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So here is a data point for you. My Tesla Tap also quit working, didn't want to charge, red light on charging port. I took car for updates, this is 2020 model, they had to replace PCM as well as result of the updates. Now Tesla Tap works. I charged it only once but nothing changed on my charging side so... I take it this was an issue with the car.

Note I never got the errors on Tesla wall charger so this might be different from your situation.
What generation HPWC are you using?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its latest one.
Gen 3 then. When we discuss compatibility/issues with the HPWC we should be explicit about the generation. I could see some of the features that exist in the gen3 causing compatibility challenges with the Taycan. The gen1/2’s are simple devices and I’ll be very surprised if they have problems.

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
Gen 3 then. When we discuss compatibility/issues with the HPWC we should be explicit about the generation. I could see some of the features that exist in the gen3 causing compatibility challenges with the Taycan. The gen1/2’s are simple devices and I’ll be very surprised if they have problems.
Post #10

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP here. I’m still encountering a charging error when I use my Tesla Gen 3 wall charger with a Tesla Tap mini. The car starts charging and provides an estimated time for completion of charge, but at some point after that the error occurs and a red flashing light appears on the Wall Charger.

The Tesla wall charger shows 7 flashing red lights. Per the manual this means “Vehicle Overcurrent Detected” with the following description:

Reduce the vehicle's charge current setting. If the issue persists and the attached vehicle is manufactured by Tesla, record the vehicle's VIN and approximate time of the fault and contact Tesla. If the vehicle is not manufactured by Tesla, contact the vehicle's manufacturer.

The car charged fine a couple of times after I first got it on April 1 using the Wall Charger and Tesla Tap Mini (60 amp). But then the original Tesla Tap Mini came apart (there was a manufacturing error such that the two parts were not screwed together properly). The Mini was replaced and since I got the new MinI the car has only successfully charged one time. The Wall Charger works fine for my Model 3. And the Taycan charged fine at the dealer’s AC charger.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting are welcome.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
OP here. I’m still encountering a charging error when I use my Tesla Gen 3 wall charger with a Tesla Tap mini. The car starts charging and provides an estimated time for completion of charge, but at some point after that the error occurs and a red flashing light appears on the Wall Charger.

The Tesla wall charger shows 7 flashing red lights. Per the manual this means “Vehicle Overcurrent Detected” with the following description:

Reduce the vehicle's charge current setting. If the issue persists and the attached vehicle is manufactured by Tesla, record the vehicle's VIN and approximate time of the fault and contact Tesla. If the vehicle is not manufactured by Tesla, contact the vehicle's manufacturer.

The car charged fine a couple of times after I first got it on April 1 using the Wall Charger and Tesla Tap Mini (60 amp). But then the original Tesla Tap Mini came apart (there was a manufacturing error such that the two parts were not screwed together properly). The Mini was replaced and since I got the new MinI the car has only successfully charged one time. The Wall Charger works fine for my Model 3. And the Taycan charged fine at the dealer’s AC charger.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting are welcome.
stop using the tesla charger and adaptor and see what happens. it is apparent that this your issue
Sponsored