Charging Etiquette

Pivotaltrader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 TTS 18 hd denali 23 bentley gt speed
Country flag
I have dealt with everything that has been mentioned myself with people not understanding what their vehicle is capable of speed wise with the superchargers. I sat there in my car thinking about how this could be solved and make this much better experience. 1. Make every charger 350w capable 2. The manufacturers of EVs no matter what the price point is should make alll of them charge at the fastest rates possible. Why? Because its all about network congestion at superchargers. There should be a standard architecture minimum for all EV manufacturers to follow so everybody has a much better experience using their Evs. It is frustrating to see someone sitting in a 350kw that has no business being there. But honestly, it should not be this difficult. Set the standards for Ev manufacturing with regard to supercharging speeds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
In the midst of an 800 mile road trip to FL, I charged at 3 different 350kw chargers today. The first charger did what it was supposed to and I got from 5% to 80% in 17 minutes. Awesome. The second maxed out at 173kw, and the third one (my favorite) didn’t get above 71kw when I started my charge at 4% and needed 83%. That was a long one. EA is definitely hit-or-miss.

And before anyone jumps on me, I used the car nav throughout and preconditioned the battery each time. I see what you all have been saying about the 150kw chargers being more consistent now. 🤨

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
In the midst of an 800 mile road trip to FL, I charged at 3 different 350kw chargers today. The first charger did what it was supposed to and I got from 5% to 80% in 17 minutes. Awesome. The second maxed out at 173kw, and the third one (my favorite) didn’t get above 71kw when I started my charge at 4% and needed 83%. That was a long one. EA is definitely hit-or-miss.

And before anyone jumps on me, I used the car nav throughout and preconditioned the battery each time. I see what you all have been saying about the 150kw chargers being more consistent now. 🤨
If the charging speed is stuck around 60-70kW it’s worth trying a different cable. Supposedly if the cable cooling isn’t working properly they get capped at around 70kW.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Perhaps you all knew this already, but I was under the impression that the EA upgrade only involved adding new labels to each station. I was surprised to see that the stations themselves have changed, and instead of two charging handles there is now one much longer one.
Porsche Taycan Charging Etiquette IMG_6270

Personally, I think this is a great change! I've sometimes had trouble at EA stations getting my 4s into a position where I could connect one of the charging cables. This should make it a lot easier.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Perhaps you all knew this already, but I was under the impression that the EA upgrade only involved adding new labels to each station. I was surprised to see that the stations themselves have changed, and instead of two charging handles there is now one much longer one.
IMG_6270.jpeg

Personally, I think this is a great change! I've sometimes had trouble at EA stations getting my 4s into a position where I could connect one of the charging cables. This should make it a lot easier.
Great... Question is: does it work and work reliably.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great... Question is: does it work and work reliably.
That is a different question. My success rate is 100% at EA stations, but I sometimes have to try a different charger to finally get the charging process started.

So reliability is on the poor side (probably 75% or so), and that is not acceptable. I really expect to have 95% availability, and station failure to be a rare event. Today that's not the case.

That said, the move to a longer charging cable is a good one IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone that was effected by P&C not working tried recently with any success? I’ll be resuming my road trip this Friday and it would be a boon to not have to call EA every time to initiate a charge.

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Tried to charge today and finally experienced P&C. It was lovely.
Sponsored