PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Taycan Turbo S, Macan Turbo,
Country flag
I have been getting the notification “charging port impaired“ as per the picture below. Very worrrying, however the port continues to open and close as normal and ability to charge DC continues. My concern is that this is just a precursor of a problem and I will suddenly no longer be able to charge DC. My dealer advised this was a software problem and kindly immediately sent a technician to sort this out. However after a software update the problem remains, hence my concern. Has anybody else had this problem? Thank you.

Porsche Taycan Charging port impaired? 4C38DA30-4085-4B37-A440-BF66A825B869
Ns
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Had that same error message on my long distance trip this week. No problems, just the error message. We'll see if it returns on my trip back...

Reactions: PAB

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had this issue on the DC side after the charge port door closed and snagged on the lower spring flap which doesn't always spring back forcing the door to open again.

It logs the warning and requires the dealer to reset ( there is no way to clear).

I had the same snagging issue 2 days ago (my fault) but this time I got an electrical fault warning which self cleared after I locked the car and returned later.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've been struggling with this on both sides of the car for months. The driver's side port mostly won't open at this point (or if it opens it closes immediately) but the other side works (if it's in an error state, turning the car off for 15 minutes fixes that side).

I'm going in for a this-time-for-sure fix on Monday. Tech thinks its wiring (the driver's side assembly has been replaced but still fails)...will post when it's definitively fixed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've been struggling with this on both sides of the car for months. The driver's side port mostly won't open at this point (or if it opens it closes immediately) but the other side works (if it's in an error state, turning the car off for 15 minutes fixes that side).

I'm going in for a this-time-for-sure fix on Monday. Tech thinks its wiring (the driver's side assembly has been replaced but still fails)...will post when it's definitively fixed.
I ended up with a charging port error which disabled the AC charging on both side and led to the failure of the driver’s side AC charge port door (sensors). Oddly the opposite side of the car is where the work was performed / fault traced.

That was a few months ago and I’m back at the dealers on Monday to have the port cover reseated as it is coming loose and sitting proud.

I can’t believe how many issues I’ve had with Porsche petrol cap covers and now charge port doors - nothing is 100% reliable and seems Porsche can engineer quality at this mundane level.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ended up with a charging port error which disabled the AC charging on both side and led to the failure of the driver’s side AC charge port door (sensors). Oddly the opposite side of the car is where the work was performed / fault traced.

That was a few months ago and I’m back at the dealers on Monday to have the port cover reseated as it is coming loose and sitting proud.

I can’t believe how many issues I’ve had with Porsche petrol cap covers and now charge port doors - nothing is 100% reliable and seems Porsche can engineer quality at this mundane level.
Such a pain! So sorry for you!

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As the initiator of this thread, Here is a video of what’s happening with my DC port, As you can see when opening it stops for a second part way, and then opens. When closing it closes smoothly. On the AC side of the car the port opens and closes smoothly. My dealer is studying the problem, advising for now that it might need a part change.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To follow-up further with this, there's a new service bulletin about the issue, with the WLK2 workshop campaign. The fix involves replacing the sensor harnesses for both doors.

The problem seems to be that the sensor that indicates the door is shut isn't working properly, and this resolve it. The problem is on the side opposite the door that won't open. (In my case, both sides.)

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
To follow-up further with this, there's a new service bulletin about the issue, with the WLK2 workshop campaign. The fix involves replacing the sensor harnesses for both doors.

The problem seems to be that the sensor that indicates the door is shut isn't working properly, and this resolve it. The problem is on the side opposite the door that won't open. (In my case, both sides.)
Thanks for the info.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to add to that, WLK2 TSB was published on April 30th.
Here is the doc
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191618-0001.pdf
Thank you dnanian for advising of the service bulletin and chrisk for the document itself. Both VERY helpful input.

I'm not sure this applies to my issue as (1) the doc says it is for 2020 model while mine is 2021, and (2) the document says the issue is "the end position of the charge port door is not determined correctly on the affected vehicles due to an incorrect sensor signal.", while my issue if a hiccup when OPENING the left DC/AC port, not the closing.

Any perspective on this? Thank you.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any perspective on this? Thank you.
I think this may be the same issue. The stutter may be that the other-side-sensor is intermittent, the car is trying to prevent you from opening both sides, etc. But, of course, it's hard to be certain.

Mine, though, would sometimes open part way and then suddenly close, or open fully and immediately close. So it "feels" the same...

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just wanted to pop back in here and say the new "charge door harness" completely resolved my issues with the charge doors. It's been working great for a few weeks now...not a single failure.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just wanted to pop back in here and say the new "charge door harness" completely resolved my issues with the charge doors. It's been working great for a few weeks now...not a single failure.
Wonderful ! Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored