JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I have just over 1200 miles on my RWD and have only used my free EA charge points. I normally charge once a week waiting until I am below 20% taking it back to 85%. I always use the 350KW charger.
Every time I charge the highest transfer speed has been 117KW but then it drops to 60-85kw range. Now mind you I am the only car most of the time while charging. I have turned off the function that limits the amount of charge the car will take in. Why can’t I get the 200kw plus that I have read others are getting? I did opt for the higher charger in the car. I always set the EA as a waypoint in my Nav before I level the house so it sets up the battery.
Any tips?

Thanks
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Battery temperature or there's something going on with the charger. Since you're in Jersey, I'll share my experience with Jersey Chargers.

I've used the e Brunswick Walmart charger, with pre-conditioning, I was pulling down 253kw. Using the Jersey Mills charger, I've been only able to pull down 118kw and similar speeds using a charger near Paramus with preconditioning on, i.e. arriving with a battery temp between 89F and 110F. In the latter two instances, fairly certain it was a charger problem.

I've used 150kw stations out in Long Island that lets me pull down 160kw+, again with similar battery temps.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Battery temperature or there's something going on with the charger. Since you're in Jersey, I'll share my experience with Jersey Chargers.

I've used the e Brunswick Walmart charger, with pre-conditioning, I was pulling down 253kw. Using the Jersey Mills charger, I've been only able to pull down 118kw and similar speeds using a charger near Paramus with preconditioning on, i.e. arriving with a battery temp between 89F and 110F. In the latter two instances, fairly certain it was a charger problem.

I've used 150kw stations out in Long Island that lets me pull down 160kw+, again with similar battery temps.
Thank you for your feedback, I was under the impression it was the charger station until another Taycan pulled up one day. He said he was pulling in 250kw plus.

Okay so here is a stupid question, how do you pre-condition the batteries? I always thought if I put the station in the Nav it would pre-condition. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Okay so here is a stupid question, how do you pre-condition the batteries? I always thought if I put the station in the Nav it would pre-condition. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Lithium ion batteries are very sensitive to temperature when charging. The best thing to do is to 'tell' the Taycan you're going to a high speed charger (use the navigation system to navigate to a high speed charger) and let the car get the battery pack to the optimum temperature.

When the Taycan battery is at the correct temperature, the charging rate will be the best possible.

This is the same with all EV's, though each car manufacturer has their own 'secret sauce' to maximize charging rates and minimize battery degradation. The variables are: ambient temperature, battery temperature, charging power supplied and state of charge.

While I have personally never seen more than 150kw when charging with EA, this might be due to the state of charge when I charged or to the ambient and/or battery temperature.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
As long as it's entered in your nav, it'll start the preconditioning. It takes time to bring it up to temp. So if your drive to the charging station is 5 minutes door to door, your temp is not going to be up. You can see the temp with the right tube informational screen.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Unless the software has been updated, in the past just selecting the EA Station as an address did not precondition the battery. What I still do to precondition is select Point of Interest on the Nav menu > select Porsche Charging Service > select the EA station > start the route.

If you have sport chrono on your car, you can also select Sport+ to help heat up the battery. In my experience to get over 200 kW, my SOC is in the teens or single digits, and the battery temp is at least in the 80s F.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This all makes sense thanks for your input! I saved the EA station in my Nav and always select it when I leave the house so the car knows its heading to be charged. I think the biggest issue I have from reading all your comments is my battery temp. It takes me less than 10 minutes to arrive at the EA station, now I understand my battery will never heat up that fast.
Thanks again for the feedback!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
also side by side chargers are sometimes different - once in livermore EA - pull in plug in 68 kw @ 18% soc - been driving for over 2 hours - with charger in NAV - do preconditioning should've been done…

change stalls - boom 178 kw - same location different stall - *

there is no way to tell or force the charge rate - it’s a combination of what the actual charger feels like that day and what the car thinks is best

also fast charging is harder on battery than home slow charging - is there a reason you just don’t charge over night and only fast charge?

* - and on brand for EA - livermore has like 12 or 14 stalls - 8 were disfunctional that day

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As long as it's entered in your nav, it'll start the preconditioning. It takes time to bring it up to temp. So if your drive to the charging station is 5 minutes door to door, your temp is not going to be up. You can see the temp with the right tube informational screen.
DC charging only >= 50kW for preconditioning.

Reactions: vdr

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
It takes me less than 10 minutes to arrive at the EA station, now I understand my battery will never heat up that fast.
Thanks again for the feedback!
Take a detour so that the drive takes twice as long… since the charge will take you less time, total will be the same and you enjoyed your car more 🤣:CWL:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have just over 1200 miles on my RWD and have only used my free EA charge points. I normally charge once a week waiting until I am below 20% taking it back to 85%. I always use the 350KW charger.
Every time I charge the highest transfer speed has been 117KW but then it drops to 60-85kw range. Now mind you I am the only car most of the time while charging. I have turned off the function that limits the amount of charge the car will take in. Why can’t I get the 200kw plus that I have read others are getting? I did opt for the higher charger in the car. I always set the EA as a waypoint in my Nav before I level the house so it sets up the battery.
Any tips?

Thanks
Various reasons as discussed above but also the actual EVSE you are using may be throttled back by the operator to limit what you get.

You also mention you have the higher charger - this is only relevant for DC 400v >= 50kW <= 150kW where the voltage is boosted to 800v in order to charge the battery. The EVSEs you mention will already be 800v.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also side by side chargers are sometimes different - once in livermore EA - pull in plug in 68 kw @ 18% soc - been driving for over 2 hours - with charger in NAV - do preconditioning should've been done…

change stalls - boom 178 kw - same location different stall - *

there is no way to tell or force the charge rate - it’s a combination of what the actual charger feels like that day and what the car thinks is best

also fast charging is harder on battery than home slow charging - is there a reason you just don’t charge over night and only fast charge?

* - and on brand for EA - livermore has like 12 or 14 stalls - 8 were disfunctional that day
Honestly I have only used the EA stations because I am cheap! I am enjoying my 3 years of free charging before using my home charger. Just being honest with my reply:rolleyes:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Honestly I have only used the EA stations because I am cheap! I am enjoying my 3 years of free charging before using my home charger. Just being honest with my reply:rolleyes:
ok i get that - but your time is not free - and with home electricity rates as cheap as they are - I think you'll find you can afford to charge it at home - fast charging all the time - well that's going to accelerate the battey's natural aging process - LiON batteries lose capacity over time - and fast charging accelerates that capacity loss

there is a silver lining to your story - you're not getting rates fast enough to matter - at 100 kW or less - the fast charging impact is minimal...

recommend you charge at home and only fast charge when you're out and about or have a reason.

but it's your vehicle and your call and certainly will maximize your included EA charging.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ok i get that - but your time is not free - and with home electricity rates as cheap as they are - I think you'll find you can afford to charge it at home - fast charging all the time - well that's going to accelerate the battey's natural aging process - LiON batteries lose capacity over time - and fast charging accelerates that capacity loss

there is a silver lining to your story - you're not getting rates fast enough to matter - at 100 kW or less - the fast charging impact is minimal...

recommend you charge at home and only fast charge when you're out and about or have a reason.

but it's your vehicle and your call and certainly will maximize your included EA charging.
Well to make it worse I have solar on my house so ready I do not have an electric bill, it’s only $5.00 per month :oops:
Sponsored