Charging to 85% Regularly between 00:30 & 04:30

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, this the problem I’ve had, as it WILL step out of the boundaries set. If it doesn’t think it will reach the required soc it starts charging early and ignores the times set in the profile.

Hence, I’ve given up and am just using the podpoint timer. It all worked fine just using a profile before my software update now it’s no good.
Can confirm this. Have all the settings as they should be and it does work if there is enough time to charge to 85% in the 4 hours. However if there isn't enough time it will start charging before hand outside the 00.30-04.30 set.

Just plugged in at 23.30. Vehicle has 36% charge. Assuming there isn't enough time in those 4 hours as it has just started charging straight away.

I can charge every night if I wish however just left it for a few days this time.

So question is how low on the % should I go if I want to be only charging in those 4 hours to get to 85%?

Using 7.2kwh Porsche charger.

I have the standard battery. My settings are:

Porsche Taycan Charging to 85% Regularly between 00:30 & 04:30 Screenshot_20210430-233457
Sponsored

Last edited:

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Can confirm this. Have all the settings as they should be and it does work if there is enough time to charge to 85% in the 4 hours. However if there isn't enough time it will start charging before hand outside the 00.30-04.30 set.

Just plugged in at 23.30. Vehicle has 36% charge. Assuming there isn't enough time in those 4 hours as it has just started charging straight away.

I can charge every night if I wish however just left it for a few days this time.

So question is how low on the % should I go if I want to be only charging in those 4 hours to get to 85%?

Using 7.2kwh Porsche charger.

I have the standard battery. My settings are:

Screenshot_20210430-233457.png
Will charge just under 30% in the 4 hours so start charge level would need to be about 56%+

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Will charge just under 30% in the 4 hours so start charge level would need to be about 56%+
Just calculated myself:

79.2kw*0.85= 67.32kw

7.2kwh*4h= 28.8kw

67.32-28.8= 38.52kw

38.52 / 67.32 = 0.572

So I shouldn't let the battery go under 57% if I want to get to 85% in 4 hours using a 7.2kwh charger.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Just calculated myself:

79.2kw*0.85= 67.32kw

7.2kwh*4h= 28.8kw

67.32-28.8= 38.52kw

38.52 / 67.32 = 0.572

So I shouldn't let the battery go under 57% if I want to get to 85% in 4 hours using a 7.2kwh charger.
You should perhaps include some charging losses, maybe 7% or so. But in general your calculations are fine, only issue is that it is kWh battery power not kW.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Just calculated myself:

79.2kw*0.85= 67.32kw

7.2kwh*4h= 28.8kw

67.32-28.8= 38.52kw

38.52 / 67.32 = 0.572

or if you are below 57% but want only/mainly cheap rate charging then adjust 85% downwards accordingly assuming you've not doing too much mileage the next day.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve not completed my switch to Octopus Go yet so haven’t played about with Timers etc yet, I just have a simple General 85% timer currently.

Is there a priority order if you have more than one profile selected?

i.e. Can you have a location based profile for the cheap 00:30 to 04:30 charge to be used at Home, and then have a General Profile also enabled that will charge to 85% at all other locations no matter what? Will the Location based Home profile override the General one when at home?

Or does having both enabled confuse the car or a lottery on what one it will use if at home?

If not, what are folk using in that scenario, are you enabling profile’s on and off manually?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Surely if Porsche just made the "departure time" a check-box on/off option, it would just obey the profile rules regarding preferred charge times. Then if you really did need a prep for departure time you can just check the flag in the app - and charging times would adjust to meet the SOC required...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve not completed my switch to Octopus Go yet so haven’t played about with Timers etc yet, I just have a simple General 85% timer currently.

Is there a priority order if you have more than one profile selected?

i.e. Can you have a location based profile for the cheap 00:30 to 04:30 charge to be used at Home, and then have a General Profile also enabled that will charge to 85% at all other locations no matter what? Will the Location based Home profile override the General one when at home?

Or does having both enabled confuse the car or a lottery on what one it will use if at home?

If not, what are folk using in that scenario, are you enabling profile’s on and off manually?
Not sure and not tried that but theoretically 'yes'.

Remember though that that the profiles and timers are ignored for DC charging and only control AC charging. So if your other locations are non DC then you might be in luck.

To be honest keep it simple. One profile and one timer for home use.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure and not tried that but theoretically 'yes'.

Remember though that that the profiles and timers are ignored for DC charging and only control AC charging. So if your other locations are non DC then you might be in luck.

To be honest keep it simple. One profile and one timer for home use.
Understood re DC and AC.

At work car park the Charge Place Scotland chargers are 7kW AC chargers - so I will at least need 2 location based profiles then, home and work, was just trying to get the simplest setup possible - Home then everything else etc.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Understood re DC and AC.

At work car park the Charge Place Scotland chargers are 7kW AC chargers - so I will at least need 2 location based profiles then, home and work, was just trying to get the simplest setup possible - Home then everything else etc.
Yep, makes good sense. Give it a whirl - I think it will work with 2 location based profiles.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Profiles are location based except for the General Charging Profile - that one (if enabled) is applied if no location-based profiles are applied (so location-based profile takes priority). After living with it for a year - only charging at home, and with a time-of-use rate plan, I have only one timer (set for departure time when the lower rate ends) and no profiles (the general profile is un-checked). If I AC charge somewhere else, I enable the general profile - it's set to 85%. Note if you have no timers and de-activate the general profile, it seems to still apply if there are no other location-based profiles. In other words, there has to be at least one profile or timer applied and if not, the general profile will be applied even if it is not active.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It’s amazing to me how complicated Porsche has made this and still managed to have use cases that aren’t supported very well.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would say that Porsche has developed a reasonable solution to cover a lot of use cases. However in doing so, they have indeed overly complicated it for simple use cases. What could work better is a switch for basic charging settings vs. advanced charging settings. Basic needs only two settings: 1) Target charge; 2) Hours to charge (default to 24x7). The current system could work as the advanced settings and only one simple addition would help - a check box to a) prioritize preferred times over target charge (meaning only charge during preferred hours even if it means failing to reach the target charge) or b) prioritize target charge over preferred times (mean start earlier than preferred hours if the car calculates doing so is needed to reach the target charge).
Sponsored