OP
PorscheGG

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are a lot of reasons why regularly parking an electric car in those temperatures is a bad idea, plenty of scientific threads going into details. Lots of people still do it, but it's a bad idea.

So you should wait until your garage is built but it sure sounds like you're looking for validation on a decision you've already made rather than actual pros/cons. Which is fine, just don't be surprised when you run into issues, both short & long term.
You’re right. I am leaning more towards going ahead with it. However, if there are long term issues with the car due to it being parked out in the cold (even if it’s plugged in), then I will hold off. Would you mind pointing out some of these issues? Or link to a thread where I can read more about it? I have tried to look but finding it hard to understand what the short/long term issues would be. Range is not important as my commute is short. The guys at Porsche keep telling me it isn’t a concern as their Taycans are parked outside all year round.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
There are a lot of reasons why regularly parking an electric car in those temperatures is a bad idea, plenty of scientific threads going into details. Lots of people still do it, but it's a bad idea.

So you should wait until your garage is built but it sure sounds like you're looking for validation on a decision you've already made rather than actual pros/cons. Which is fine, just don't be surprised when you run into issues, both short & long term.
I am a bit puzzled by this, what makes you say its a bad idea? Electric cars and batteries take no damage from cold, only from extreme heat. The only exception is if the battery temperature falls to way below 0 C. And all EVs have thermal management for the battery that will kick in and protect the battery. So having the car simply plugged into 240 provide the power needed IF the battery needs protection in the coldest days.

The only issue as others have said is range, cold batteries don't provide as much capacity. So setting departure timers allows the car to pre-heat the battery using shore power for optimal range (again the 240 is available). Usually you only need around 3-4 hours before departure for conditioning to work, so manually starting it from app doesn't do it. But setting a departure times with enough time will assure the battery temperature is not too cold.

There are no issues I can see @PorscheGG. Just get the 240 cable ready and leave it plugged in and have fun!

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
I had two winters on my BMW i3s and it's a much smaller car. No problems at all except for the preheating need and reduced range (which is due to driving in that weather, not parking outside). I was tempted many times to leave the car out because the snow melted in advance to my departure. Car interior was always warm (it warms us much faster even without preheating).
Electric cars are supposed to replace all ICE cars, so most will stay outside.

I wouldn't delay, but accepting a delayed delivery will get you closer and might bring a better discount from your dealer.
Sponsored