[Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Because car is black, if it was another color, I would have. But it needs something different.
Are you thinking something different as in to make them stand out? They look great on a white or blue car and would be better served pained.

My car is black too (Jet Black Metallic) and one day in the sun, the angle sort of made them look a dark gray. I thought maybe a touch of gray there, the fake plastic mesh under the power charge ports and maybe in the rear to tie in and make it subtly stand out.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Are you thinking something different as in to make them stand out? They look great on a white or blue car and would be better served pained.

My car is black too (Jet Black Metallic) and one day in the sun, the angle sort of made them look a dark gray. I thought maybe a touch of gray there, the fake plastic mesh under the power charge ports and maybe in the rear to tie in and make it subtly stand out.
Yep, as stated here and in my mods thread, this is exactly what I’ll be doing very shortly - on Volcano the slightly darker grey on these plastic parts will keep the OEM design ethic - only decision I have left which I’ll sort out tomorrow is whether to make it full gloss or possibly a satin!

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Yep, as stated here and in my mods thread, this is exactly what I’ll be doing very shortly - on Volcano the slightly darker grey on these plastic parts will keep the OEM design ethic - only decision I have left which I’ll sort out tomorrow is whether to make it full gloss or possibly a satin!
Hard to say without seeing, but I might lean to satin so as to not make them stand out "that" much. Either though would be much improved over the cheap plastic.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
Car is done, rocker moldings are painted, front end panels are painted, lower splitter on front bumper is painted, and the rear upper area is painted.

Applied PPF, applied ceramic coating.

It's shiny as hell. I almost don't want to drive it and just keep it inside the garage.

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF FOqZSboVsAcJJ-u

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF FOqZSboVsAQo8uV

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF FOqZSbqVsBMeDCi

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_2933

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_2934

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Car is done, rocker moldings are painted, front end panels are painted, lower splitter on front bumper is painted, and the rear upper area is painted.

It's shiny as hell. I almost don't want to drive it and just keep it inside the garage.
Stunning. You'd never know it is a repaint, ever.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

FOqZSboVsAcJJ-u.jpg

FOqZSboVsAQo8uV.jpg

FOqZSbqVsBMeDCi.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg
Awesome - enjoy this moment as it will never look the same again!
Kidding, but you know what I mean! :)

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Glad to see that you love the work done. Every time I've had to get paint work done, it fills me with so much anxiety because it's always been a back and forth (why is there so much peel here, fix this fish eye here, etc).

FTHE911

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, as of 5/23/22 2nd for Spyder, 3rd GT4/RS
Country flag
I'm considering PTS Viola Metalic or Amethyst Pearl on a Spyder and or a GT4/RS I've seen people try and make the argument for STEK vs PTS. Why would anyone consider that? Is this just people who sell the stuff? Not only is PTS @$12K going to return a massive amount over a standard color in resale (if it's attractive on a higher end car), but that plastic stuff has always looked terrible after a couple months. Am I missing something? Or is it just resentful people who can't order a PTS car and/or make money of ignorant people?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm considering PTS Viola Metalic or Amethyst Pearl on a Spyder and or a GT4/RS I've seen people try and make the argument for STEK vs PTS. Why would anyone consider that? Is this just people who sell the stuff? Not only is PTS @$12K going to return a massive amount over a standard color in resale (if it's attractive on a higher end car), but that plastic stuff has always looked terrible after a couple months. Am I missing something? Or is it just resentful people who can't order a PTS car and/or make money of ignorant people?
ha - not sure you mean to sound trollish but here goes.

First, a custom color won't guarantee a premium on your cars value. In fact, can easily be the opposite. Some choices will be a detractor to say the least..you certainly wont recover the $12K cost! Second, you have to PPF your car anyway so it's kind of killing two birds with one stone.

Last, you clearly aren't familiar with the new tech in terms of colored PPF - a good installer will make it look like paint; the product is next to flawless and will stay that way long after your paint would show normal wear and tear. Clear is an option that has been around a long time and color PPF (you mention Stek) is new - maybe a year or so into it. It's far beyond wrap - its protective and a color change...and with its hydrophobic and self healing properties, it checks all the boxes. I'd put either of my cars up for inspection - the R8 has been to a couple of shows and everyone assumes its a custom paint order and then wants to know who details it because it's "flawless".

Especially now, people have limited choices and an allocation for new to get everything they want...good luck. That won't change in the next year. I'm in the middle of changing my Turbo to Nardo.

I'm not making an argument; just clearing up your misconceptions - go ahead and spend for the PTS factory color. That said yes, you are missing something.

Speaking of PTS Viola Metallic, here's a Taycan owner that did it with Stek:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pts-viola-metallic-via-ppf.8769/

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
ha - not sure you mean to sound trollish but here goes.

First, a custom color won't guarantee a premium on your cars value. In fact, can easily be the opposite. Some choices will be a detractor to say the least..you certainly wont recover the $12K cost! Second, you have to PPF your car anyway so it's kind of killing two birds with one stone.

Last, you clearly aren't familiar with the new tech in terms of colored PPF - a good installer will make it look like paint; the product is next to flawless and will stay that way long after your paint would show normal wear and tear. Clear is an option that has been around a long time and color PPF (you mention Stek) is new - maybe a year or so into it. It's far beyond wrap - its protective and a color change...and with its hydrophobic and self healing properties, it checks all the boxes. I'd put either of my cars up for inspection - the R8 has been to a couple of shows and everyone assumes its a custom paint order and then wants to know who details it because it's "flawless".

Especially now, people have limited choices and an allocation for new to get everything they want...good luck. That won't change in the next year. I'm in the middle of changing my Turbo to Nardo.

I'm not making an argument; just clearing up your misconceptions - go ahead and spend for the PTS factory color. That said yes, you are missing something.

Speaking of PTS Viola Metallic, here's a Taycan owner that did it with Stek:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pts-viola-metallic-via-ppf.8769/

I agree with FTH, I don't think he's missing something at all. PPF will stay next to flawless long after paint shows wear and tear? In 5 to 10 years, a PTS car will be worth way more than any bog stock filmed car, even a Taycan I imagine. Yes films have gotten better, but there is no way a filmed car can approach the level of finish or detail a factory paint can. Look at the premium ANY Paint to Sample cars command over their respective standard car. Granted the difference with a Taycan might be less than a car like say a 911 or at GT car, but I disagree on the choice here. I would argue it all depends on what you want. If you want the ability to change the color years in, or start fresh every so often then yes. If you want a premium finish, durability, and the ability to paint correct and refinish the paint years in to make it look new, then I would spend the coin on PTS in a heartbeat. A 10% premium or less on a "custom" color is not really a lot in the scheme of things........
Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored