CPO sold to me by Porsche dealer with damaged part.

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
I bought my CPO 2021 Taycan from Porsche Norwell in July and it was delivered to me in Atlanta. Upon delivery , I noticed a whistling wind noise around the driver’s side window and I finally took it to my local Porsche dealer here in October where they diagnosed it to be a result of a badly installed windshield which is not properly aligned and a damaged cowl housing. They also said that it would not be covered under warranty because it was damaged and presumably not installed by a Porsche authorized center, and I can confirm this because the CarMax shows that the windshield was replaced before certification at some shop. My car is still under the original comprehensive warranty but the cost to properly install the new windshield and housing plus calibration will be $4500 out of pocket.

My position is that everything which should be covered under warranty on that car should be intact and be under warranty, especially when the CPO checklist states that they inspected the car and all parts are porsche approved and not damaged.

I have written and called the General sales manager at Porsche Norwell about this issue several times and he’s always in a meeting. Funny enough he personally called me to urge me to buy from them when I was shopping for the car. Lol.

Anyway, I just want some ideas as to how to effectively deal with this. I’m thinking of reversing my credit card charges in the amount of $4500 until they fix my car at their expense, or I can report them to Porsche for certifying a car that did not meet Porsche standards and they failed to bring it to Porsche standards before certifying it and selling it to me as a CPO unit.

My car is an awesome car and I love it but that whistle is quite disturbing. What would you do?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
CPO is nothing more than paperwork and a warranty. There is no detailed inspection performed, other than maybe checking tires and brakes. Your situation is not unique. That said, this is 100% on them if the damage was done before they CPOd the car. If I were in your shoes, they’d either fix it or I’d file small claims.

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
CPO is nothing more than paperwork and a warranty. There is no detailed inspection performed, other than maybe checking tires and brakes. Your situation is not unique. That said, this is 100% on them if the damage was done before they CPOd the car. If I were in your shoes, they’d either fix it or I’d file small claims.
That is not what is stated in the CPO description. I understand that most x-points inspections are bullshit but if there is a windshield replacement history, the least they should do is to verify that it has been repaired properly. I would personally contact Porsche NA if you can’t get any answer from your local dealer. A lot of dealers have gone downhill since 2020.

OP
OP

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
That is not what is stated in the CPO description. I understand that most x-points inspections are bullshit but if there is a windshield replacement history, the least they should do is to verify that it has been repaired properly. I would personally contact Porsche NA if you can’t get any answer from your local dealer. A lot of dealers have gone downhill since 2020.
This is my position as well. The CPO checklist says all parts are Porsche parts and in good working order. That wasn’t the case with my car. I will call Porsche.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
This poses an interesting question. I recently purchased a non-CPO 2021 Porsche Taycan 4 CT from a BMW/Mini dealer out-of-state. I'm now the 2nd owner of the car, and it has ~14k miles of warranty remaining. I've contemplated asking my Porsche dealership to CPO the car but have not yet done that.

When I purchased the vehicle it had clearly noted on the CarFax that the windshield had been replaced. I had the selling dealer provide me photos, and it clearly was lacking the Porsche etching/black markings/logo. So probably a SafeLite type install. It looks fine, and upon receipt of the car, I've experience none of the issues you note; so I feel good about that knowing your problems.

But if I did have the dealer CPO the vehicle, and that was the only non-Porsche item, do you think they'd have to replace it? Do you think they should? I don't know the precise language in a CPO warranty, but I do agree one would think it may require Porsche parts; but it may have language that says "or equivalent" ?? And in your instance, they were supposed to have inspected the car; a road test should have provided them ample warning in your case.

Again windshields are an oddity in the car world, and the cost of an OE Porsche windshield is probably a few thousand dollars, versus a few hundred. Where the quality is perhaps the same; and TBH having Porsche install one versus a safelite type place, is no guarantee of better install. Still, I'd say you probably have some good room to argue that they fix the issue. If it were just a "non OEM part" perhaps not, but given the whistle -- i'd raise some hell ;)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I bought my CPO 2021 Taycan from Porsche Norwell in July and it was delivered to me in Atlanta. Upon delivery , I noticed a whistling wind noise around the driver’s side window and I finally took it to my local Porsche dealer here in October where they diagnosed it to be a result of a badly installed windshield which is not properly aligned and a damaged cowl housing. They also said that it would not be covered under warranty because it was damaged and presumably not installed by a Porsche authorized center, and I can confirm this because the CarMax shows that the windshield was replaced before certification at some shop. My car is still under the original comprehensive warranty but the cost to properly install the new windshield and housing plus calibration will be $4500 out of pocket.

My position is that everything which should be covered under warranty on that car should be intact and be under warranty, especially when the CPO checklist states that they inspected the car and all parts are porsche approved and not damaged.

I have written and called the General sales manager at Porsche Norwell about this issue several times and he’s always in a meeting. Funny enough he personally called me to urge me to buy from them when I was shopping for the car. Lol.

Anyway, I just want some ideas as to how to effectively deal with this. I’m thinking of reversing my credit card charges in the amount of $4500 until they fix my car at their expense, or I can report them to Porsche for certifying a car that did not meet Porsche standards and they failed to bring it to Porsche standards before certifying it and selling it to me as a CPO unit.

My car is an awesome car and I love it but that whistle is quite disturbing. What would you do?
I hate to bash a specific dealer but I bought a Porsche from this dealership and I had a heck of a time getting them to do the right thing when I had an issue. PCNA was not particularly helpful. Dealers have a ton of discretion. I would never consider buying another car from them. I wish you the best of luck and recommend that you remain persistent.

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag

I’d recommend you dispute the charges with your C.C. Company - it’s a PIA for the dealer and should make them more responsive to you.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is my position as well. The CPO checklist says all parts are Porsche parts and in good working order. That wasn’t the case with my car. I will call Porsche.
You’re 100% right. It should be covered.

My point is that CPO is just a warranty, nothing more. It doesn’t imply that Porsche did a detailed inspection of the car and that one should assume it’s ’better’ than a non CPO car. It’s the same as any other used Porsche, just with an extended warranty.

I sold my Spyder to a dealer one morning around 10 am. The car was on their showroom floor as a CPO that afternoon. It went from parking lot to showroom.

OP
OP

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
I just received a call from the General manger of Porsche, Alex Cioccolo, and he apologized for the late response, blaming it on his spam box. He acknowledged the damage but he said that the damage and prior installation was done by Herb Chambers Porsche. The crazy part is that he did not mention anything about his dealership delivering a CPO car with a damaged part to me. All he said is that he will reach out to Herb Chambers for a solution, hopefully.

Amex said that the window to dispute the charges expired last week. I did not even think about it until yesterday. Anyway, I will see what they say.

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag

Similar issue with me. I picked up my CPO 2020 4s from Greenwich Porsche in Connecticut. Had it shipped to Los Angeles.

After a few days driving while looking through my passenger side view mirror I noticed the passenger door handle was not setting in place like the others. My sales rep says take it to the local dealership “ you have a cpo they will cover it under warranty “.

Sure enough the local dealer gives me the big warning before they even touch the vehicle to look out because some times non factory parts are used yards yada yada. I knew the deal, they were already covering their asses to not warranty it.

Long story short. Part was broken and there was a rusty screw which could have been from a seal or anything but I too was getting the run around from the dealer I purchased it. Always not at the dealer or something. Until the dealer I took it to got involved. My service rep gave me his personal number and said have them call me. I even put them in a 3 way text group and still they wouldn’t answer. Finally the service manager here sent the used car dealer manager there an email that either they pay for it or customer is out of pocket.

The purchasing dealer then put a claim to Porsche NA for some special exception.

28 days later I’ll be receiving my car today.

My contingency plan was to pay for it and bring the action to small claims court here in California using the CPO standards as my reasonable expectation. I was starting to research how to get a Connecticut dealer in court in California when they called me to tell me they got the exemption .

All for $1800 bucks ($250 part). To me it was the principle the situation.

Last edited:

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Agree!

Definitely reverse the charges on your credit card until the dealer does the right thing and honors their CPO warranty. Their claim that it’s not covered because of some third-party installation is absurd. At the very least they should have made that exception clear to you when you bought the car.
Sponsored