Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
No paperwork, Jay. Walnut Creek Porsche Service manager called up the line and sent me off, saying it was a warranty issue, no windows available in Germany currently and will call when they get one.
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
No paperwork, Jay. Walnut Creek Porsche Service manager called up the line and sent me off, saying it was a warranty issue, no windows available in Germany currently and will call when they get one.
Sorry to say that back on the 13th, my premium auto body shop (Loid's, they're amazing) secured one of the last two rear windows that were currently available in the US.

They had done a full exterior and interior Xpel PPF, with ceramic coating over the Xpel and wheels, tinted my windows, and were replacing the upper brake light when the rear window cracked like an eggshell. They apologized lavishly and said it seems that it is a known weak point in the Taycan (it's apparently for accident safety reasons). It will arrive in about nine days, they'll tint it off the car first, then install. The crack has remained steady, until today, branching out to about twice the original area.

I hope a large supply will soon become available, as it seems they might be in high demand.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Sorry to say that back on the 13th, my premium auto body shop (Loid's, they're amazing) secured one of the last two rear windows that were currently available in the US.

They had done a full exterior and interior Xpel PPF, with ceramic coating over the Xpel and wheels, tinted my windows, and were replacing the upper brake light when the rear window cracked like an eggshell. They apologized lavishly and said it seems that it is a known weak point in the Taycan (it's apparently for accident safety reasons). It will arrive in about nine days, they'll tint it off the car first, then install. The crack has remained steady, until today, branching out to about twice the original area.

I hope a large supply will soon become available, as it seems they might be in high demand.
I just got feedback from my dealer. They did ask if any of the windows were tinted etc. (mine are not).
Then came back saying Porsche warranty will cover the replacement as there was no evidence of external damage on the window.
I do not have the ETA but will ask them when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just discovered the rear window crack this week. My 2021 Turbo S was less than 2 weeks, and 350 miles. Fortunately, the Service Manager agreed that there was no apparent cause, and agreed to cover it as a warrantee issue. He ordered the replacement, but so far, I have not heard back.
Has anyone who has had the similar issue had there's replaced, and if so, are you satisfied with the work performed ?
Just got a call from my tint guy, while finishing up the tint, they found a crack in the rear glass. They believe it was their fault, so they are replacing it with a factory window, only one factory piece off glass around, about 80 miles away. Hate to have a new car, with 280 miles have to have a piece of glass replaced. My car has thermally insulated glass, does anyone know if the rear window is thermal insulated, or just a regular window?

Pivotaltrader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 TTS 18 hd denali 23 bentley gt speed
Country flag
I had my rear windshield crack when it was at the shop for ppf, ceramic, and tint. I had them install a dual dashcam and upon install of the rear dashcam the rear windshield popped. It took 45 days with expedited shipping to get a replacement that i just had installed. This was on the detail shop to pay for but i cant imagine that was cheap. It seems to me that this is a known issue with Porsche taycans, i have a 21 tts.

PJLI

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S / 912 C2/ 911 4S / Mercedes S550 / Maseratti Gran Turismo
Country flag
I just got a crack in the front windshield that expanded to over 12” very quickly, I’m told there are no available windshields in the US? Need to wait for one from Germany. Now I have to wait almost a month to get it replaced. I’m disappointed with the support.

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
Hit me yesterday in the afternoon picking the car up again from the garage to get the software recall done. Full crack across window. Thanks for the link, will be helpful with my Porsche dealer :)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I just got a crack in the front windshield that expanded to over 12” very quickly, I’m told there are no available windshields in the US? Need to wait for one from Germany. Now I have to wait almost a month to get it replaced. I’m disappointed with the support.
Thankfully I have this:
https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/

It's been great. Already saved my glass from a few "chips" in ~1000 miles of driving.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Did anyone pay labor charges when replacing the rear glass??

Last edited:

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Deleted. Just realized that I was responding to a post from 7/6/21, not 22...

Murphtown

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dcmetroneighborhoods.com
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (Ice Grey), Audi Q7
Country flag
Same thing happened to me in a 2021 Turbo S within a month of delivery. I remember researching it back then, and it seems to be one of the many issues with these cars. Warranty did cover it, it was just a hassle getting it in (first one broke during delivery).

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Had the same thing happen to my MY22 Turbo S a few weeks ago. It started very small and now it's spreading like monkey pox. Porsche Cambridge had not seen it before but the warranty covered it and they'll resolve it in a few weeks.
Sponsored