B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Don't forget their was a price increase this month on the Lucid.
Just read an article, that Lucid is coming to few countries in Europe…pricing over 218.000 € :oops:
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Given people are complaining Tesla having harsh rides/bad QC, Lucid being too new and unknown, Taycan's waiting list being too long, I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the MB EQS. Is it too ugly to even be mentioned? 😂
Personally I prefer the bland look of the EQS over Lucid styling. I would need the EQS AMG version though for more sporty handling.

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Given people are complaining Tesla having harsh rides/bad QC, Lucid being too new and unknown, Taycan's waiting list being too long, I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the MB EQS. Is it too ugly to even be mentioned? 😂
The EQS is a weirdo for me.
I find it convenient to have a 5-door car for the rare occasion I need to take extra people but always have my dog in the back.
The EQS is far more a limo aimed at people who hire a chauffeur and ride in the back than a drivers car and so a lot of the niceness is pointless for me.
I thought the EQE might be a fit, I’ve owned E-class cars since 1988, but it is a 4-door so not suitable for a dog owner.
In the end the Taycan CT is the only car I can find which appeals, if I cancelled my order I simply wouldn’t bother to buy a new car and continue as I am. It is due to replace and E-class and an old Ferrari but there isn’t another car on sale that could that I can find..

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The Mercedes EQE is actually a little less ugly than the EQS.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
To summarize the reasons why my cross-shopping of the Lucid lasted about 5 minutes:

- Looks (I'd like to say that this is subjective, but I really don't think I've seen someone suggest that the Lucid looks better)
- Greatly prefer/need the wagon body style
- Manufacturer/service (Lucid quality is a question mark, and doesn't have Porsche's service network)
- Delivery estimates simply not available for Lucid
- Able to test drive a Taycan before buying
- Options to choose from

Now don't me wrong, the 500 mile range would be amazing to have on road trips and pretty nearly remove all range anxiety, but I felt like I'd be giving up too much for what kinda feels like a one trick pony, and there were too many questions marks for Lucid as a new company that I couldn't just trust them being able to deliver on it literally or figuratively.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Now don't me wrong, the 500 mile range would be amazing to
I don’t believe, that car of such weight (2,5t) could have such a range.
800km with 110 (or 118kwh) battery = avg.consumption 14.6 kwh/100km…. I don’t buy those numbers.

NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag
I tend to agree with the sentiment here so far. I've had a Lucid Touring reservation since day 1. I considered the cars about equally desirable prior to taking delivery of my CT, but now, not even close. My Taycan is a great daily driver, which I wasn't sure it would be. As for more spirited driving, I had no idea how intoxicating the Taycan would be. No way the Lucid can compete with that. I really can't see myself in the Lucid after the last four months dailying and road tripping with my CT.
Your PUP must be completely thrilled to be driving in the back of that beast!!

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I don’t believe, that car of such weight (2,5t) could have such a range.
800km with 110 (or 118kwh) battery = avg.consumption 14.6 kwh/100km…. I don’t buy those numbers.
I mean, it's been independently verified driving at 70mph getting 500 mile range, so I'm not really sure what to tell you:
https://insideevs.com/reviews/562511/lucid-air-range-test-record/

As far as I'm aware, they've achieved some great things in terms of drag coefficient and designing their own motors to be as efficient as possible.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I stand corrected.
it means that Lucid outperforms Porsche for almost 100%.
No worries, I honestly hadn't thought about it in those terms, and it sure does sound pretty crazy compared to other manufacturers. I found this neat article that went over some of the technical details on how they did it too:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-lucid-air-powertrain-tech-deep-dive/

Note that the entire drive unit for the Lucid is 161 pounds according to that article, while the Taycan's inverter alone is about that weight according to this article:
https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-at-the-porsche-taycans-engin-1837802533

It get's kinda crazy when you think that Porsche could remove the entire front motor, and replace the rear motor with a drive unit from Lucid, save probably 200-300 pounds, hit 690hp (Turbo is listed at 671hp), and I bet add significantly more range too. Really gets you excited for what's possible in the future.

Edit: Found spec on the Taycan motors, 157/168 pounds for the front drive unit, and 375 pounds in the rear, plus a 35 pound transmission, so 567 pounds of drive units for the Taycan vs 161 pounds in the Lucid. Crazy for sure
https://www.motor1.com/news/368730/2020-porsche-taycan-debut-official/

Last edited:

kloisdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
To summarize the reasons why my cross-shopping of the Lucid lasted about 5 minutes:

- Able to test drive a Taycan before buying
I was a reservation holder for a GT with invitation to order and they had just started offering test drives to us.

Coming from a Model S Performance that’s always in Ludicrous, my wife was the first to drive and he showed her the drive modes and she said she wanted to try Sprint bc she was used to Ludicrous. He insisted that she wouldn’t want Sprint as it’s launch mode so she settled for Swift to which he said, “I feel like someone like you would want more range so we are going to leave it on smooth”.

I saw literal smoke come out of her ears and she complained it felt sluggish and heavy. When it was my turn, I told him “no thanks, we’re good” and canceled my reservation on the way back to our car and now we are specc’ing a Turbo S.. Thanks Lucid!

Edit: he also told her “no you’re wrong” when she said she thought it “looks like an old person’s car”

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
I was a reservation holder for a GT with invitation to order and they had just started offering test drives to us.

Coming from a Model S Performance that’s always in Ludicrous, my wife was the first to drive and he showed her the drive modes and she said she wanted to try Sprint bc she was used to Ludicrous. He insisted that she wouldn’t want Sprint as it’s launch mode so she settled for Swift to which he said, “I feel like someone like you would want more range so we are going to leave it on smooth”.

I saw literal smoke come out of her ears and she complained it felt sluggish and heavy. When it was my turn, I told him “no thanks, we’re good” and canceled my reservation on the way back to our car and now we are specc’ing a Turbo S.. Thanks Lucid!

Edit: he also told her “no you’re wrong” when she said she thought it “looks like an old person’s car”
Wow. Do these guys come from the 1970s?!

I had reserved a Lucid (UK) as a potential option but cancelled it because it’s so not cool, and because In had gone a bit overboard in lining up some future potential options.

In addition to my Taycan Turbo, counting EVs alone, I actually still have a Tesla Roadster, Tesla Cybertruck, and Lotus Eletre reserved…
Sponsored