Customer support communication

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I’m afraid I’m also in the group that has had a pretty awful experience with my Porsche dealer.

Emails sent, no response from the rep. Asked for a screen shot and update, no response. Finally a partial screen shot a few months back, not even sure it was my order. Not clear why my delivery date shifted 3 months, pre C-19. If I order groceries on Instacart, I know within seconds when my apples are in the cart. Not a peep in the last six weeks.

While I’ve had three Porsche’s, and own one now, it’s soured me. While a terrific car, I’m now undecided on picking it up whenever it might arrive, given uneasiness on level of Porsche local and corporate quality and service after a sale.

I’ll give it one last email try with the GM...
Sorry to hear about the poor experiences. A few additional things to remember. The service interval on the Taycan is 2 years/20k miles. You won’t be dealing with the dealership often. If you need maintenance or warranty work you will be working with the service dept not sales. I have found that service depts are much more consistent in customer experience (positive) than sales at all brands of car dealerships.

I was washing my Taycan last week when my neighbor came over to chat. He wanted to buy a Porsche but was having difficulties in follow up with the sales associate. I gave him the name and contact info of my sales associate at the same dealership. I told him it was his money and especially since it was the beginning of the process to switch sales people. Within a day my SA sent me a text thanking me for the referral and telling me he already sent my neighbor several options.

For those of us who are fortunate to have our Taycans, I am confident that all of us will tell you it is worth the wait. Hang in.
Sponsored

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the poor experiences. A few additional things to remember. The service interval on the Taycan is 2 years/20k miles. You won’t be dealing with the dealership often. If you need maintenance or warranty work you will be working with the service dept not sales. I have found that service depts are much more consistent in customer experience (positive) than sales at all brands of car dealerships.

I was washing my Taycan last week when my neighbor came over to chat. He wanted to buy a Porsche but was having difficulties in follow up with the sales associate. I gave him the name and contact info of my sales associate at the same dealership. I told him it was his money and especially since it was the beginning of the process to switch sales people. Within a day my SA sent me a text thanking me for the referral and telling me he already sent my neighbor several options.

For those of us who are fortunate to have our Taycans, I am confident that all of us will tell you it is worth the wait. Hang in.
I agree totally, that is why I went with Porsche Princeton, they were the greatest , to bad they are not in Kentucky where I live, a very positive experience and so.. helpful. I wish that for everyone. When I first tried to get on the list to get an allocation to buy one, everyone else said what list?

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can echo the sentiments expressed by both wemct and Cpoarchy, and I am sorry to hear of the bad customer service experiences some are having.

I used to deal with one of the major Porsche dealerships in Dallas. I purchased several Cayenne's from them (an S, a Turbo and a GTS). PLUS, I have spent more money than I care to admit in the Parts Department while I rebuilt my 1979 930, my 1973 911S racecar and my 2001 GT3 Cup! When I went to buy a Panamera for my wife, I pretty much got the cold shoulder treatment from the General Manager (similar to the bad experiences many of you have documented here). And I had what I thought was a good personal relationship with the GM (or so I thought). I promptly took my "new car" business to the Fort Worth dealer and I could not be happier. My Sales Advisor has been immensely helpful and done a GREAT job of keeping me informed of the progress of my car.

My experience has led me to conclude that it is all about the relationship you form with your Sales Advisor. Some of them are highly professional and do a GREAT job. Others, not so much. I agree with several who have posted the suggestions to "move on" from a bad Sales Advisor. Tell that person AND his/her General Manager why you are moving on.

Regarding the production process...…. The information about production status is NOT a state secret. Perhaps some dealerships are worried that a customer will not understand that production schedules change based on all sorts of variables (supply chain impacts, parts shortages, pandemics, etc...). What one sees in the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System is a view into the manufacturing/planning system Porsche uses to track vehicle manufacture. The dates are ALWAYS couched as ESTIMATES until ACTUAL DATES are entered into the system. Note that the system provides three types of dates for the various stages of production (the infamous V-Codes). The dates are PLANNED, EXPECTED and ACTUAL.

Why a Sales Advisor (or his/her GM) would not want to share that information with a paying customer is beyond me. Customers DO have to remember that PLANNED and EXPECTED dates are just that - planned dates or expected dates. It's a reasonable bet that Porsche will not hit those dates every time.

For those of you who have experienced poor communication/total lack of information (especially those who have made significant advance fiscal commitments), I can certainly empathize with your frustration. Put on your best MAD FACE and go have an emphatic discussion with your Sales Advisor and his/her GM. And just keep moving up the management food chain until you find someone who gives a rat's behind! Once you exhaust that food chain, then go to your country's Porsche importer (PCNA here in the US) and BITCH at them. Porsche has more of a vested interest (usually) in protecting their brand and is more likely to respond, where a dealership owner is just that - a franchisee who may not get the lionshare of their profits from Porsche. You can guess where the franchisee if going to place their attentions.

Apologies for the long-winded post. I do empathize with those who cannot secure details about their cars. I am impatiently waiting on my 4S which was caught up in the factory shutdown. It's done and waiting for a boat for transport to Houston and then on to Fort Worth.

I hope those of you with bad experiences will be able to take delivery of your Taycan soon.

Toby

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Another data point - I recently changed my pw for my Porsche Connect account but could not sign in last night - I wanted to link my TTurbo with it. So I figured that maybe I had a senior moment with the new pw and I asked for a reset - nothing happened. Asked again - nothing. This morning I called the help desk and was pleased to see that it was up running on the weekend. The agent was helpful and explained that the site was down for maintenance this weekend and that is probably why nothing worked. I was calm, I swear, as I responded to the effect that maybe telling users with a flag on the site or an email warning would have been nice.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Another data point - I recently changed my pw for my Porsche Connect account but could not sign in last night - I wanted to link my TTurbo with it. So I figured that maybe I had a senior moment with the new pw and I asked for a reset - nothing happened. Asked again - nothing. This morning I called the help desk and was pleased to see that it was up running on the weekend. The agent was helpful and explained that the site was down for maintenance this weekend and that is probably why nothing worked. I was calm, I swear, as I responded to the effect that maybe telling users with a flag on the site or an email warning would have been nice.
Thanks you just saved me a call. Thank you for providing great Porsche customer service....as a customer! :D

OP
OP

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Thanks you just saved me a call. Thank you for providing great Porsche customer service....as a customer! :D
I’ve been in email contact w Klaus Zellmer ceo Porsche North America. Trying to get some of this on their radar. Will let you all oknow what happens.

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’ve been in email contact w Klaus Zellmer ceo Porsche North America. Trying to get some of this on their radar. Will let you all oknow what happens.
Tell him his company's customer service is largely a shit show, though he has some decent employees. Training and oversight is the problem.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
My dentil tooth pulling skills must be improving, finally a response from my goldbricking dealer.

Unfortunately letting me know the April delivery, that had moved to July (for some unknown reason pre C-19,) is now late August or September. I had been looking forward to summer drives. Now getting a last year’s model and value hit, with 21’s just around the corner.

I‘ll look around for a 4S or Turbo in stock, or arriving soon, and check timing on the 21’s for next spring with another dealer. Also look more carefully into the the Audi GT and Polestar.

I now have several more months to decide, and will enjoy my 911 this summer.

Say hello to Klaus for me....

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
<snip>
And I had what I thought was a good personal relationship with the GM (or so I thought).
<snip>
Tell that person AND his/her General Manager why you are moving on.
<snip>
Regarding the production process...…. The information about production status is NOT a state secret. Perhaps some dealerships are worried that a customer will not understand that production schedules change based on all sorts of variables (supply chain impacts, parts shortages, pandemics, etc...).
In my experience the GM is of limited use getting things resolved directly. A customer going to the GM disrupts the dealership hierarchy and causes internal noise (and lots of it) because of the comp structure. The GM's only direct job with the customer is strictly PR, to make you feel "special", just remember everyone else is just as "special".

I enjoy a good "this is why your sales advisor isn't getting my business" rant as the next guy, but it accomplishes nothing. The KPIs for sales advisors are units moved, add-ons sold and margin. An unhappy prospective customer doesn't matter until one of those KPIs are affected, and that's what the GM is watching. Everything else is just "blah, blah, blah" to be listened to politely (at best) and then forgotten (or laughed about in the kitchen).

For the sales advisor time is money, and spending more time on a sale already made generates no more money. Expose a 10 step schedule, then there are 10 things to ask questions about, expect status updates on, or question why these is slippage. Of those 10 steps there are 0 steps that the sales advisor can do anything to affect once the order is locked so why even talk about them. A "car is due in August, will call you in early August to confirm a date" is all that's required.

There is another thread where we were talking about Porsche improving the customer experience by having better order tracking on a re-vamped web site. That revealed just how segmented the ordering process is, and islands of information that had no single point of "situational awareness". So while we'd like it to be better, there's a lot of work needed first to get it there...

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
<snip>

For the sales advisor time is money, and spending more time on a sale already made generates no more money. Expose a 10 step schedule, then there are 10 things to ask questions about, expect status updates on, or question why these is slippage. Of those 10 steps there are 0 steps that the sales advisor can do anything to affect once the order is locked so why even talk about them. A "car is due in August, will call you in early August to confirm a date" is all that's required.

<snip>
This is exactly why the situation becomes so frustrating especially when the sales person cannot even remember what car you bought from her/him...... :)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience has led me to conclude that it is all about the relationship you form with your Sales Advisor. Some of them are highly professional and do a GREAT job. Others, not so much. I agree with several who have posted the suggestions to "move on" from a bad Sales Advisor. Tell that person AND his/her General Manager why you are moving on.
I am in total agreement with you. Anyone in sales especially for a luxury brand understands that his/her success depends on client relationships and referrals. Remember this scene from Pretty Woman:
Lewis: we’re going to be spending an obscene amount of money in here. So we’re going to need a lot more help sucking up to us. That’s what we really like. You understand that.
Hollister: sir, you’re in the right store and the right city for that matter. Excuse me, sir, uh, exactly how obscene an amount of money were you talking about? Just profane or really offensive?
Lewis: really offensive.
Hollister: Mr Lewis, sir. Mr Lewis, how’s it going so far? Pretty well, I think.
Lewis: I think we need some major sucking up.
Hollister: very well, sir. You’re not only handsome, but a powerful man. I could see the second you walked in here, you were someone to reckon with…
Lewis: Hollister. Not me. Her.
Hollister: I’m sorry, sir. I’m sorry.

I'm disappointed that so many are having subpar experiences. Years ago a Mercedes SA basically told me that I was lying to him regarding the price another dealer was offering on a trade in and purchase. So I did the deal at the other store and pulled up in the parking lot of the SA who said it couldn't be done. It was also the last time I ever contacted him.

With regard to Porsche, I have built up long term relationships with two SAs at two different Porsche dealerships. My first Porsche was a Cayman S. It wasn't a big dollar purchase, but I was treated well and that forged my desire to always have at least one Porsche in the garage. Others in the string have commented that their SAs don't even remember they are an existing customer. I get a chuckle when I visit the dealership where I purchased my Taycan. Not only do I get good treatment from my SA, the other three SAs who I haven't purchased cars from in the past say hello to me by name just because they have seen me over the years. My SAs have sent presents when my son was born, one dropped off a cooler of fresh lobsters that he caught on his day off, he had one of his friends in Dublin pick me up at my hotel when I was on vacation to play a round of golf at his friend's club, sent me to driving school events, and on and on. All of this while still giving me great deals on my Porsches each and every time. Needless to say I have referred many of my friends over the years as well as my own purchases. Although I have moved out of state, my SAs have told me that a large part of their customer base are also people who have relocated, but who still purchase from them and have their cars registered in their current home states. I did that with my Taycan and my Maserati that I purchased with my Maserati SA in CT in February. I will continue to do the same in the future until my SAs retire or leave their brands. The local service departments are happy to take care of my cars even though I purchased them elsewhere.

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
In my experience the GM is of limited use getting things resolved directly. A customer going to the GM disrupts the dealership hierarchy and causes internal noise (and lots of it) because of the comp structure. The GM's only direct job with the customer is strictly PR, to make you feel "special", just remember everyone else is just as "special".

I enjoy a good "this is why your sales advisor isn't getting my business" rant as the next guy, but it accomplishes nothing. The KPIs for sales advisors are units moved, add-ons sold and margin. An unhappy prospective customer doesn't matter until one of those KPIs are affected, and that's what the GM is watching. Everything else is just "blah, blah, blah" to be listened to politely (at best) and then forgotten (or laughed about in the kitchen).

There is another thread where we were talking about Porsche improving the customer experience by having better order tracking on a re-vamped web site. That revealed just how segmented the ordering process is, and islands of information that had no single point of "situational awareness". So while we'd like it to be better, there's a lot of work needed first to get it there...
You may be correct, but the concept that once the sale is closed, no work is necessary/deserved is not a long term view from either an individual S/A perspective, not from a company perspective. The truth is, for $150k, and a first time Porsche buyer, I want my questions answered - properly and reasonably timely. A little hand holding means I'm a very happy customer with a big mouth. The same goes when I'm ignored or given misinformation, except for the happy part.

I found a call to the sales manager, vs. the GM, tends to motivate when you discuss not taking delivery.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You may be correct, but the concept that once the sale is closed, no work is necessary/deserved is not a long term view from either an individual S/A perspective, not from a company perspective. The truth is, for $150k, and a first time Porsche buyer, I want my questions answered - properly and reasonably timely. A little hand holding means I'm a very happy customer with a big mouth. The same goes when I'm ignored or given misinformation, except for the happy part.

I found a call to the sales manager, vs. the GM, tends to motivate when you discuss not taking delivery.
I agree the goal of just closing the deal at hand is not a long term view. The treatment that I have received was not limited to when I have reached out to buy a new Porsche. My SAs (and the sales manager as you correctly pointed out) continue to touch base with me even when I'm not in the market for a new car (e.g., inviting me to track events). Before my Taycan was delivered, the SA and the sales manager provided me with status updates without prompting. When I had specific questions why it was offloaded in Davisville, Rhode Island on March 13th and still there for another month, they got me the answers in less than a day. I guess the lesson here is that if you find a great SA stick with him/her.

OP
OP

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
I agree the goal of just closing the deal at hand is not a long term view. The treatment that I have received was not limited to when I have reached out to buy a new Porsche. My SAs (and the sales manager as you correctly pointed out) continue to touch base with me even when I'm not in the market for a new car (e.g., inviting me to track events). Before my Taycan was delivered, the SA and the sales manager provided me with status updates without prompting. When I had specific questions why it was offloaded in Davisville, Rhode Island on March 13th and still there for another month, they got me the answers in less than a day. I guess the lesson here is that if you find a great SA stick with him/her.
I get a better customer experience buying shoes. :-D
Just some basic things that could be fixed @ Porsche corp and until customers speak up Porsche won't put the effort into fixing them. Gotta get dragged into the modern times to compete w the Tesla's, Lucid, Rivian, Karma Fischer, etc. Like OTA updates, every car will need to support that functionality. You can embrace it or you'll be forced to do it. Modern customer support will be the same way.
Oh well.. tic tok...

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is what a great SA experience looks like. It has been less than a week since I gave my neighbor the name and contact info for my SA. Tonight as I was leaving in my Taycan, I caught a glimpse of a Cayenne in the neighbor's driveway. I received a text from my neighbor telling me the SA delivered a new Cayenne earlier today to the house. He said the sales experience was great with my SA (very different from the other SA they originally spoke with at the same dealership). I sent a text to the SA thanking him for helping my neighbor. The SA sent back a message thanking me for the referral and telling me that he will be coming back in a week to their house to make sure they are comfortable with all the new features and controls (it is their first Porsche). So if done well, the sales experience does not end when the sales contract is signed.
Sponsored