PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
In theory yes, you shoudn't need an external battery to prevent the 12v batter from draining. I've had mine installed in both my wife's Acura and my Taycan for months now without issue. However, I seldom go more than a couple of days without driving/charging the Taycan.
Just to add to the post.

The prior Blackvue models did not have the voltage monitoring. They did sell an optional battery that could be connected.

So if you hardwire the newer model (900 series), in the Blackvue app you sent your voltage limits and if the voltage drops, it turns off the dashcam automatically. This is to prevent draining the 12v battery.

The dashcam is powered by the 12v battery and not the Taycan battery. However, a drained 12v battery would not let you start the car so the voltage monitor is to help prevent that.
Sponsored

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
Just installed my BlackVue 900 today. Just to add to the conversation about the BlackVue battery and people talking about worries regarding 12v battery drain by using parking mode….

1. The Porsche branded (heap of shit - don’t buy one) dashcam does not rely on a back-up battery.
2. The Audi version of the above is exactly the same. I installed this in my RS5 a few years ago and never had any issues with battery voltage.
3. I do actually own the BlackVue battery as well but only because my last two cars were BMWs and they throw up a warning when something has been using the battery whilst the car is off.

So this time I just hardwired it using fuse taps instead of using the Blackberry battery.

FYI if you’re using the left fuse location (passenger side in RHD cars) everything on rail B (the red one) is constant live and everything on rail C (the white one) is ignition live.

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
GM at my dealership and I were doing a build sheet and I added the wiring for it and he said do not bother as the branded one is not worth it lol.

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Any consensus on what the best 2 channel (front and rear) option is nowadays between Blackvue, FitcamX, Viofo A139Pro, or something altogether else?

I know from a bunch of threads it's definitely not the OEM one :p

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I’m probably going for the Blackvue 970X 2ch LTE.
I'm leaning towards this too now, or the Viofo. I think I've eliminated the FitCam from contention...

Also trying to figure out installer. Do people just go to audio shops?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Does anyone have the extra Blackvue battery installed on this setup ? I’ve got the 900X front and rear but do want recording when parked without draining the battery.
As a fellow cockney, could i ask where you got it fitted / how much it cost? I've absolutely no interest in trying to DIY one.

Ta

Rob.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
I'm leaning towards this too now, or the Viofo. I think I've eliminated the FitCam from contention...

Also trying to figure out installer. Do people just go to audio shops?
Curios why you eliminated the fitcam?

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
As a fellow cockney, could i ask where you got it fitted / how much it cost? I've absolutely no interest in trying to DIY one.

Ta

Rob.
I used a company called Dtec - had to drive to east london as i didn't want to wait for a home fitting date (which was more expensive)... think it was about £80 to do the front and rear. I didn't want to try taking the trim off either!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I used a company called Dtec - had to drive to east london as i didn't want to wait for a home fitting date (which was more expensive)... think it was about £80 to do the front and rear. I didn't want to try taking the trim off either!
Thanks.
Did you get the back up battery fitted too? Does it go in the secret boot compartment?

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks.
Did you get the back up battery fitted too? Does it go in the secret boot compartment?
what secret boot compartment ???? (only joking!)

yes got that too so i could monitor parking.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
what secret boot compartment ????
First rule of the secret boot compartment, nobody ever talks about… oh wait… damn!