Dashcam in a Taycan?

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Curios why you eliminated the fitcam?
I was reading through all the posts here - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/fitcamx-dashcam-installation.7253/ [edit - fixed the link]

I specifically want parking mode, and a slightly higher quality image. Per some posts there like @tchavei , it looks like you need to get separate fuse tapping for that per the manufacturer, which kind of defeats some of the "plug and play" allure?

That said, it clearly has the best appearance hands-down. And I could try to do it myself if I don't tap the fuse.

Last edited:

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I went with a FitCamX. Plug and play 20 minute job.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-porsche

fitcamX.jpg
It certainly looks the best by miles and the only one i've seen where i might vaguely consider doing it myself. Why on earth doesn't porsche fit their own like this?

I'm coming from the place of wondering why anyone bothers, to thinking i should get front and back! On my brief journey to this conclusion i was thinking front only on the basis that if you're hit from the rear, its definitely not your fault. However, the footage on this thread showing someone being tagged on a motorway from the rear, it could easily be argued by the guilty party that it was the front car's who drifted across lanes without the footage.

I see fitcom also do a rear camera too, but then i'm in to the who fits it (not me) and i'm not sure anyone in the UK is particularly use to the product.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
However, the footage on this thread showing someone being tagged on a motorway from the rear, it could easily be argued by the guilty party that it was the front car's who drifted across lanes without the footage.
I had one of those - my wife's less than a year old $100K car was totaled by a drive drifting from their lane and PIT maneuvering my wife. The rear footage could clearly proved to insurance who was at fault. Without it, you could try to get experts to analyze the front to show you were in your lane when hit (if you have audio), but that would take taking it to trial and paying experts to testify, and of course the judge or jury to be convinced. Rear cam is a must for me.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I had one of those - my wife's less than a year old $100K car was totaled by a drive drifting from their lane and PIT maneuvering my wife. The rear footage could clearly proved to insurance who was at fault. Without it, you could try to get experts to analyze the front to show you were in your lane when hit (if you have audio), but that would take taking it to trial and paying experts to testify, and of course the judge or jury to be convinced. Rear cam is a must for me.
Thanks. Over here that sort of thing would rarely go to court, unless an injury/police were involved and wanted to prosecute something. What does happen ultimately is the insurers would sort it out between themselves and in most cases where there are contradictory arguments (i imagine) agree to split the claim, which equates to everyones no claims bonus/record getting tarnished.

I received a gentle clip to rear end of my brand new 997 quite some years back coming off a roundabout. I initially thought the lorry driver was about to clear off as he swung around onto the other side of the road. It wasn't until i saw his version of the accident (utter fiction) that i realised he was avoiding my being able to take some pictures. Then again, maybe phones didn't have cameras on them then anyway ?! :facepalm: Result was shared liability.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Over here that sort of thing would rarely go to court, unless an injury/police were involved and wanted to prosecute something. What does happen ultimately is the insurers would sort it out between themselves and in most cases where there are contradictory arguments (i imagine) agree to split the claim, which equates to everyones no claims bonus/record getting tarnished.
Same here. You'd have to take the other party to court yourself, at your own cost, then if you win, you could go back to your insurance to change the fault attribution. In the example I was talking about, the insurer was honest to tell me that without the dashcam footage it would have been ruled "no fault", meaning "equal fault", which translates to both drivers getting dinged on future insurance premiums (but no traffic tickets).

I install dashcams in all our family cars as soon as we get the cars. Treat them like airbags - hope to never need them, but they are there just in case. Since I've been doing this, the dashcams were indispensable in 2 accidents, proving the other party (or parties) fault and saving me $1,000 each time on deductible, plus no insurance premium increases. That alone has paid for all the dashcams I installed so far (I also transfer them from car to car sometimes). In one of those accidents the guilty party was an off duty cop, so even if it went to court, chances are the judge would take his word over my 17 year old daughter. Dashcam footage provided a definitive proof needed (including him trying to convince my daughter after the accident that it was her fault - the SOB actually succeeded, when I got to the accident scene she thought it was her fault, until we looked at the dashcam footage).

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
As a fellow cockney, could i ask where you got it fitted / how much it cost? I've absolutely no interest in trying to DIY one.

Ta

Rob.
I have the 900X and it is hardwired into the passenger footwell fuse box. It will auto turn off if the batter drops below settings you define in the app. The older Blackvue had a separate battery pack that you could install. Called the PowerMagic battery.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I'm leaning towards this too now, or the Viofo. I think I've eliminated the FitCam from contention...

Also trying to figure out installer. Do people just go to audio shops?
Installed myself. It is pretty easy and you know it is placed exactly where you want the cameras and the wires are hidden. Took me a couple of ours and $11 interior trim tool kit from Harbour Freight.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Im debating if I should hardwire, or go external Blackvue battery and connect to 12v socket in boot. It seems crazy to have a seperate battery that will give up the ghost after a few days, when you have a monster HV battery that will top up the 12v battery! Would seem so much better to hardware and be done with it. But there are warranty concerns, and the 'what if it did drain my 12v battery'. Currently im planning to do the external battery option.

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Update - I'm actually leaning towards the Thinkware U3000 - anyone go with this?

Seems like they have an "energy saving" parking mode, and it has better picture quality than the Blackvue and FitcamX (though not as good as the Viofo)... the only thing I can tell is, given it ships with an OBD-II cable, I need to buy a separate install kit for hardwiring to the fuse box.

ColinTheBandit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Fitted mime today and it's great! The quality is excellent and it looks like part of the car. One tip is when setting up ensure Bluetooth and CarPlay are not active or you won't be able to add the camera using the camera WiFi.

It took about 45 minutes to get the casing off and 15 minutes to fit and put it back. All the tools are supplied in the box as are the Micro SD card and the adapter. Paid £189.00 on Amazon really happy with it.

Taycan191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes CLS 450 Edition 1, 2Taycan (Ordered)
Country flag
I’m probably going for the Blackvue 970X 2ch LTE.
Was wondering if you made a decision. I'm deciding between the DR970X and the FitcamX.

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Was wondering if you made a decision. I'm deciding between the DR970X and the FitcamX.
Not this person, but I did land on the Thinkware U3000- my rationale was it seems similar to the BlackVue, but uses a better camera and has some sort of optimized parking mode where it uses lower power and turns on the camera based on radar.

Might just be a gimmick, but I’ll find out when I get it installed soon!
Sponsored