OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I checked on Taobao last night, there is a huge market and most cost around 80 USD. But I could not find the one installed in my Taycan.

20200901_094830.jpg
ok Thanks!

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't installed a dashcam in my Taycan, yet. I did wire a dashcam in my other car (SUV).

For @Reg question 1, the battery connects to the front camera and the front camera has a separate port to connect a single wire for both power and data to the back camera.

For question 2, I hid the wires in the front window headliner to the passenger side door frame. For the wire to the rear dashcam, I ran the wire along the side headliner all the way to the back lift gate of the SUV. For your case, would need to figure out a path to run the wire down from the headliner into the trunk or run the wire along the floorboard and then into the trunk.

HTH
Update on my dashcam install.

Picked up a 2 channel dashcam (one for the front and one for rear window) + a battery to avoid adding more risk to the V12 battery drain.
Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200926_173842

I placed the dashcam behind the rear view mirror so I won't really see it when driving. I snaked the power cable and the wire going to the reach cam along the front window liner to the passenger side door. Then tucked them behind the rubber strip down to the footwell.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200926_173912

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200926_173939

Tucked the cables between the plastic covers so they won't come loose. BTW, there are some fuses behind the cover. Then I ran the cables between the plastic doorsill and the floor carpet.

I then ran the cable between the carpet and the back seat side cushion and up to the C pillar. During installation, I folded the rear seat down to hide the extra portions of the cable into the trunk, along with the dashcam battery.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200926_173611

With the seat back to normal position, this part turned out the ugliest to me, as I couldn't get the rear camera cable to tuck in between.
Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200926_174032

To finish off, I ran the rear camera cable along the back window liner to camera.

With the Taycan being similar to a sports car inside, it was a bit of a pain

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
im hoping that there will be an FoD update that uses the existing cameras for a BMW/Tesla style system
Nice but doubt it...I don't think this would be any kind of priority for Porsche, or even on their roadmap - but I agree it would be a pretty good FoD...

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the update!
What was the degree of difficulty on this, especially for a noob like me? Is the hiding of the cables that difficult?
Thanks
Not difficult to find places to hide the cable, but a pain in the rear in terms of needing to pull hard enough to stuff the cables between tightly clipped together pieces of trim. For example, I thought about hiding the cable under the floormat instead of between the plastic doorsill and the floor carpet, but I couldn't be sure I had enough cable length. I ended up with plenty extra length so that would definitely be the way to go.

I spent a good 4-5h to get everything routed. Probably would have been faster, if I wasn't parked in garage and couldn't get the doors fully open.

Make sure you have at least one of these plastic crowbar like tools. The orange color thingy. The white Taycan paperweight is just of size reference. The tool will allow you to pry back trim pieces and door frame rubber without ripping fabric or punching holes. I also use the tool to push on the cable themselves to stick them deeper into the trim pieces so they are less visible.
Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200928_202101[1]

BTW, I bought the Thinkware U1000 2 channel dashcam from BlackBoxMyCar.com. If you plan to get a battery like me, make sure you ask the seller to splice the power cable that goes from the battery to the dashcam to be long enough. I had to pay for the splicing service but saves me time to extend the power cable and guarantees it works. The power cable will need to be close in length to the cable from front dashcam to rear dashcam.

Reactions: Reg

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
@Fitzban Thanks for the pictures, that's helpful.
I'm looking into this myself - trying to figure whether I let someone else install it and just trust they're not going to make a hash of it (and they're insured), or whether just to do it myself and risk breaking a trim clip or something.

I mulling on the power pack too, since I'd want to hide it up front somewhere rather than run it to the back. I do wonder if the power pack is needed at all, since I *think* the 12v battery is charged from the main drive battery when required, but I'm also aware of the 12v issues some people have been having and don't want to tempt fate.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Due to vandalizers which frequently shows up, I’ve mounted dashcam in my vehicles the past years - also inside my Porsche as well, so I might catch the bastards eventually.

Actually I´ve caught a few situations on film already, which I will use as evidence for later (one of them are unfortunately my own neighbor).

Where I live the police does not have capacity to investigate this type of crime, and those time I have reported vandalism, the case is closed a few days later anyway. So in the name of self defence, I will catch the next vandalizer myself :punch:

A big plus is that if an hit-and-run occurs with damage, the camera record the license plate, and will probably at the first incidence save you more than the installation cost already.

I am very pleased with my ‘BlackVue DR900S-2CH’ which can record in 4K-UHD at front and in Full-HD to the rear, with possibility for microSD cards up to 256GB and should be enough for several days of continuous recording.

Also it has WiFi connection, cloud storage, impact detection, motion detection, timelapse + events recording. (I have seen some connected the system to 4 channels, so it should be possible to record almost 360 degrees).

The flashing led light in the cameras itself seem to scare most people with bad intentions off, and that is a good effect in itself :bandit:

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 9171D58C-0C09-4024-9EF9-3420141F7B9C

Last edited:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am very pleased with my BlackVue which can record in 4K-UHD at front and in Full-HD to the rear, with possibility for microSD cards up to 256GB and should be enough for several days of continuous recording.

Also it has WiFi connection, cloud storage, impact detection, motion detection, timelapse + events recording. (I have seen some connected the system to 4 channels, so it should be possible to record almost 360 degrees).

The flashing led light in the cameras itself seem to scare most people with bad intentions off, and that is a good effect in itself :bandit: Here is a link for my dashcam BlackVue DR900S-2CH: https://blackvue.com/product/dr900s-2ch/
Do you have the battery pack with that for parking mode?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
On my Panamera I had a BlackVue DR900S-2CH professionally installed, including the dedicated battery unit (Power Magic Battery Pack). It worked very well and I was very happy with it.

However, I had an unrelated warranty issue and my Porsche Centre refused to deal with it until the "unauthorised non-Porsche equipment" was removed.

I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road in the future with them refusing to help – so I removed the entire thing.

I spoke to Porsche directly as well and they wouldn't budge and directed me to various clauses supporting their position in the warranty terms & conditions.

Frustrating but I'm not going to install a dashcam in my Taycan when its delivered due to these reasons.

Interesting if others have experienced this from their Porsche Centre?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For reference, here is some of the installation pictures, focusing on the Power Magic Batter Pack install in the boot.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_113944

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_113949

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_113957

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_114716

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_114722

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_122606

Porsche Taycan Dashcam 20200123_122614

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
However, I had an unrelated warranty issue and my Porsche Centre refused to deal with it until the "unauthorised non-Porsche equipment" was removed.
That was odd, as a the BlackVue dashcam is mounted totally separately from the vehicles system, and the battery pack only connects to the 12V outlet (meant for any power source) which only is on when the car is running.

Nothing is interfering with Porsches computer or cabling, so you’re dealers statement makes no sense. I’m pretty sure my dealer in Norway would never claim something like that.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I'm going to ask my UK dealer what their position is on this before I go spending any money on this. Thanks for the heads-up @tigerbalm .

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are the bits that Porsche were quoting at me from the T&C's. Note, this was Porsche GB (though which Porsche Ireland ran through before Brexit), not just the dealer:

Porsche Taycan Dashcam Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 09.59.55

The key clause here is "directly of indirectly" ... which they were sticking to.

My installer, who was very experienced and professional was very frustrated with the situation and when removing the equipment.
Sponsored