tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I haven't been driving my Taycan too much recently – and using AC charging from home almost exclusively. Which I think has been hiding a DC charging problem I might have for the past few months.. I’ve tried three DC charging sessions over the past six weeks:

Session 1 (mid November): 150kW/400V Delta charger (ESB network). Started at 50% SoC and it received energy at 150 kWh adding about 6% when the session failed.
Session 2 (earlier this week): 200kW/800V Delta charger (ESB network). Started at 12% SoC and it received energy at 200 kW adding about 8% when the session failed.
Session 3 (today) : 350kW/800V ABB charger (IONITY network). Started at 12% SoC and it received energy at 247 kW adding about 8% when the session failed.

When a session failed the following happened each time:
  1. No amount of attempts (or moving to another charger at the station) will allow a DC session to start again. You will always get a red light after auth.
  2. No amount of attempts at AC charging will start – including driving 30 mins back home to our reliable home AC charger after failed session 3 today.
  3. Locking the car for a few hours (or overnight) will reset things so that AC charging will start and be successful to charge car to 100%.
  4. Locking the car for a few hours (or overnight) will reset things so that DC charging can be re-attempted – but it will only accept 6% to 8% SoC before failing and starting the whole process all over again.
  5. When the session fails – a “Yellow electrical – inspection necessary” message is shown and the car does need to be switched off and on – before you can put it back into drive or reverse to move it.
Right now I got the car home after session 3 failure and am in the "walk away and see if it resets" period.

Anybody ever seen this pattern?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Never seen anything like it. I have had some charging sessions fail recently after driving in a snow storm. The car was completely covered by compact snow on the front. But 200 kW charger worked fine. 350 kW gave errors about insulation issues.

Did you get any fault message on the charger?

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I normally hold the dc charging cable connector for 20 seconds after start charging. Don't have this issue so far. I found Chademo (heavy) has rock solid connect charging than the CCS.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
@tigerbalm this sounds suspiciously like a bad (battery) module 😬. I assume you’ve taken a reading of the battery state? If you can spot an abnormal deviation in voltage, you’d have a stronger case to make with your local Porsche service.

I have had abnormal terminations - but immediately after authentication, and at the same charger (which was evidently broken, but didn’t yet know it). This doesn’t seem to be the case for you, hence it’s very likely a car-side “unrealized” fault.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I haven't been driving my Taycan too much recently – and using AC charging from home almost exclusively. Which I think has been hiding a DC charging problem I might have for the past few months.. I’ve tried three DC charging sessions over the past six weeks:

Session 1 (mid November): 150kW/400V Delta charger (ESB network). Started at 50% SoC and it received energy at 150 kWh adding about 6% when the session failed.
Session 2 (earlier this week): 200kW/800V Delta charger (ESB network). Started at 12% SoC and it received energy at 200 kW adding about 8% when the session failed.
Session 3 (today) : 350kW/800V ABB charger (IONITY network). Started at 12% SoC and it received energy at 247 kW adding about 8% when the session failed.

1. No amount of attempts (or moving to another charger at the station) will allow a DC session to start again. You will always get a red light after auth.
  2. No amount of attempts at AC charging will start – including driving 30 mins back home to our reliable home AC charger after failed session 3 today.
  3. Locking the car for a few hours (or overnight) will reset things so that AC charging will start and be successful to charge car to 100%.
  4. Locking the car for a few hours (or overnight) will reset things so that DC charging can be re-attempted – but it will only accept 6% to 8% SoC before failing and starting the whole process all over again.
  5. When the session fails – a “Yellow electrical – inspection necessary” message is shown and the car does need to be switched off and on – before you can put it back into drive or reverse to move it.
Right now I got the car home after session 3 failure and am in the "walk away and see if it resets" period.

Dealer ought to have DC charger...try it there (and leave it if the session fails!).

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just documenting an example of this for posterity. I went back to IONITY this evening to document it better before sharing with Porsche Service next week. So this is DC charging attempt failure #4.

Arrive at IONITY with 13% SoC:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures {filename}

Plug in and charger starts as normal – both using Porsche Charging Service RFID card and Plug & Charge:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures {filename}

Delivering 172 kW – not the fastest but still okay:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53431892501_1123eebd9d_o

It continues fine for a few mins:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53430970837_0c51d53cef_o

When it hit 31% SoC – one of the longest DC charges recently before it fails – I get the yellow warning message:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53432045798_aa62127942_o

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53432221249_eeeafddeab_o

The charging screen shows red:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53432325500_7658831f9b_o

With the charger outside matching:

And showing an error:

And of course the red ring around the plug release button on the car itself:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53432045768_2dc2e9a28e_o

The car now will also show a yellow battery "battery" icon on the dashboard and will only go between Neutral and Park – not into Drive or Reverse:

Porsche Taycan DC charging issue/failures 53432325685_10150feb2d_o

Turning off and on the car fixes this immediately:

I cross over to the IONITY station on the other side of the motorway – but nothing will get it started unless the car has been locked for a few hours.

I return back home and try and charge with my home AC charger but it too fails to start.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Have you done the battery leak test recall yet?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just documenting an example of this for posterity. I went back to IONITY this evening to document it better before sharing with Porsche Service next week. So this is DC charging attempt failure #4.

I return back home and try and charge with my home AC charger but it too fails to start.
Excellent documentation. With that and recurring incidents, should get accurate diagnosis by dealer.

Since AC charging also does not work, my guess is on-board charger has gone bad.

My car had situation where AC charging was occurring at rate of only a couple kw. On-board charger was replaced.
Good luck.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Arrive at IONITY with 13%

Sorry to hear about your troubles now, I remeber that you plan a trip to Norway in February. So hopefully the dealer can sort this out with the documentation you can provide.

Once the car has rested a few hours, you can charge it again with AC? That sounds like something in the BMS and /or Hv Battery control unit is failing/overheating?

Keep us posted once the dealer has analysed the fault.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your troubles now, I remeber that you plan a trip to Norway in February. So hopefully the dealer can sort this out with the documentation you can provide.
Good memory Peter! Yeah, six weeks away – so fingers crossed we don't have to cancel. This Turbo S has been flawless until this.

Once the car has rested a few hours, you can charge it again with AC?
Yep, which is why it took me so long to realise that I had an issue. Because I am getting excellent distance out of the battery and zero issues fully charging it with AC (so long as I haven't tried DC beforehand) – I agree its more likely to be on the BMS or charging infrastructure than the physical battery cells themselves.

It will be interesting to find out what it is!
Sponsored