Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Please work with us here... Basically, the whole community works in KW - not Mi/Minute...

If 2.5 Mi/min equates to about 65KW (as my "WAG" SEEMS to confirm)...

Then "I would expect my car to take about 250KW at 40%, taper to about 125kw @ 85%, and below 50KW after passing 90%" could be converted as follows:

40% ~ 250KW ~ 9.6 Mi/Min
85% ~ 125 KW ~ 4.8 Mi/Min
90%+ ~ 50KW ~ 1.9 Mi/Min

...and its going to be very tough to compare your charging rates to the Audi's without ALSO knowing what his SOC was at the time you got that info. You do understand that the rate of charge continually changes (decreases) throughout the charging process, right?

Once again, How long did you expect it to take to charge your car from 40% to 100%. I think 25 minutes is pretty reasonable!
I do appreciate the feedback and will start using kwatts as the operating parameter for charging.Still the bottom line is that using your numbers i am still slow.The Audi Etron was at a neigbouring stall so I should have had the full 150 Kwatts at my disposal.As I said I went from 40 % to 65% using 28 kwatts in 25.3 minutes
Sponsored

OP
OP

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
...additionally, if it took you 25 minutes to charge 40-100%, you might have been able to get out of there @85% in maybe 15 minutes. That last 10% takes a disproportionately long time...

Most folks don't charge to 100% (even on a road trip) unless they actually need it. How much charge did you actually need?

Again, RELAX! :) I think 25 minutes to charge from 40-100% is pretty typical.
No i went from 40% to 65% in 25.3 minutes so pretty slow

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
No i went from 40% to 65% in 25.3 minutes so pretty slow
Ok, I asked that in my second posting... (...whether you took it all the way to 100%) That also means my calculations (curiously confirmed) are rubbish... :(

I think you should go out and do a controlled test to confirm you weren't sharing power with the car "next to you" (as @Scandinavian suggested).

Make sure your car knows its going to a charging location so the battery is prepared (pre-warmed). Specifically search for a charger using your Nav system (don't just type in the address of one cause the car won't recognize it as a charger) and tell the car to take you there. Note your starting SOC/KW Rate and record several benchmark pairs along the way until you disconnect.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
OP
OP

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Ok, I asked that in my second posting... (...whether you took it all the way to 100%) That also means my calculations (curiously confirmed) are rubbish... :(

I think you should go out and do a controlled test to confirm you weren't sharing power with the car "next to you" (as @Scandinavian suggested).

Make sure your car knows its going to a charging location so the battery is prepared (pre-warmed). Specifically search for a charger using your Nav system (don't just type in the address of one cause the car won't recognize it as a charger) and tell the car to take you there. Note your starting SOC/KW Rate and record several benchmark pairs along the way until you disconnect.
Thanks I will, however temperature will not be a problem since i live in south florida

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the answer I guess I need to try this out on a DC non electrify america charger to prove were the problem lies ie charger versus car
You can also try at a different EA location.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the answer I guess I need to try this out on a DC non electrify america charger to prove were the problem lies ie charger versus car
No, please don't misunderstand... You WANT to use an Electrify America charger. There is nothing wrong with them. They provide lots of power (unless they are not working at all). I don't know what part of the country you are in, but if anywhere on the East half they are your best source for charging I think.

Also understand that the "charger" itself has little to do with how much power you get. That is entirely up to the car. We call the terminals we plug into "chargers" but they are technically "EVSE's". The actual "charger" is inside your car. The EVSE terminal is merely a high power source of electricity. The charger inside the car determines how much power it wants or will take. The EVSE is just like a big powerful outlet with an on/off switch (relay)...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks I will, however temperature will not be a problem since i live in south florida
The battery still likes it to be warm. Perhaps significantly warmer than your ambient. If you want to post or compare your numbers, please do this. Unless there is compelling reason not to...

OP
OP

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
No your calculations were right on .I used 28 kwatts to go from 40 to 65% which is 25 % of the capacity of a close to 100Kwatt battery.So that number of 66kwatt hour makes sense but still slow.Another person on this forum has the same experience and blames it on the electrify america chargers

OP
OP

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
No, please don't misunderstand... You WANT to use an Electrify America charger. There is nothing wrong with them. They provide lots of power (unless they are not working at all). I don't know what part of the country you are in, but if anywhere on the East half they are your best source for charging I think.

Also understand that the "charger" itself has little to do with how much power you get. That is entirely up to the car. We call the terminals we plug into "chargers" but they are technically "EVSE's". The actual "charger" is inside your car. The EVSE terminal is merely a high power source of electricity. The charger inside the car determines how much power it wants or will take. The EVSE is just like a big powerful outlet with an on/off switch (relay)...
OK i will follow up on all those suggestions

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I seriously doubt its the EA chargers - unless you were sharing a single terminal with that Audi - or the entire station itself (all the terminals) was demanding more power than the grid could deliver.

Those terminals are simply big power outlets. Its like blaming the low volume of your home stereo on the wall outlet. Maybe during a "brownout" but...
Sponsored