Dissapointing tacan DC charging

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ive had an Audi EV for some years. From plug into a commercial DC port it ramps straight up to 150kwh charing right the way to 80% full before ramping down in steps for the final 20%.

Same with a Taycan and its no faster then 100kwh charging for much of the range, The advertised >200kwh charing seems to be for a relatively small % of the battery. So if you rock up to a charger with say 50% full, it does not really charge that quickly at all.
Sponsored

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
The unit for power is kW, not kWh. Charging speeds are in kiloWatt. Battery capacity is energy en is in kWh.

You probably do not get the full charging power because the battery was not preheated correctly.
In order to activate preheating, you need to set a destination (which is not the charging stop) and enter the charging stop as an intermediate stop.
As far as I know, you can not activate preheating by just setting the charging location as your destination.

I have the small battery and I can easily get around 200 kW until 50%. So it surely really works if you can convince the car to preheat correctly.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The unit for power is kW, not kWh. Charging speeds are in kiloWatt. Battery capacity is energy en is in kWh.

You probably do not get the full charging power because the battery was not preheated correctly.
In order to activate preheating, you need to set a destination (which is not the charging stop) and enter the charging stop as an intermediate stop.
As far as I know, you can not activate preheating by just setting the charging location as your destination.

I have the small battery and I can easy get around 200 kW until 50%. So it surely really works if you can convince the car to preheat correctly.
I traveled 3,500 miles home after picking up my Taycan. Entered each EA charger as a destination. Battery seemed to preheat ok. It was winter, peaked DC charging at over 250KW.

Side note, if driving in Sport Plus, the battery should be preheated as well, since the target battery temperature range is almost the same as DC charger profile (overlaps the top end of the DC charging range IIRC). I do that recall how many of the trip sections I drove on Sport Plus, the car was brand new to me so I was experimenting with various settings.

The best way to know is just to look at the battery temperature you can bring up on the instrument cluster. @tylerdurden , next time you charge, note the battery temperature.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Ive had an Audi EV for some years. From plug into a commercial DC port it ramps straight up to 150kwh charing right the way to 80% full before ramping down in steps for the final 20%.

Same with a Taycan and its no faster then 100kwh charging for much of the range, The advertised >200kwh charing seems to be for a relatively small % of the battery. So if you rock up to a charger with say 50% full, it does not really charge that quickly at all.
Yes Audi etron has been know as a very fast charging vehicle. Taycan will certainly charge very rapidly and much faster overall than the Audi, but a things to remember.

- It is 800 volt architecture in Taycan so you need to match that from the charger, like Ionity. You dig not mention what charging Network you plugget in to??

- If only 400 volt network you are unlikely to get even 150 kW due to the voltage booster in the car. I think all Taycan in UK hve the 150 kW option now.

-You need to have the battery preconditioned and temperature could be close to 40 C before you plug in. Then you will certainly on an Ionity station see up to 260 kW at low stage of charge. At 50% it should still be above 150 kW though.

There are so many photos of charging rates on this forum showing more than 260 kW rates.

And search the internet for charging tests with the Taycan and you will find charts like the one below. This is done by a very well known and respected guy on you tube!!

Porsche Taycan Dissapointing tacan DC charging IMG_1751

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I was charging at ionity. I will look into the battery temperature more next time.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly. There is no battery preheating button? You can only precondition the battery using navigation to a charger? Does that mean apple car play navigation using Waze is not ideal? as in your committed to the cars own navigation system?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There is no preheat button. So far you will need to use the cars navigation system to navigate to a charger and really make sure you set the charger as destination. If you are on a longer trip and a charge will be needed, it will be automatic. And you need to drive some 30 to 40 km begore the battery is at the correct temperature.

Any CarPlay navigation usch as Google, Waze etc will so far not triggar the preheat. If future integration will provide this remains to be seen?

Last edited:
OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Bit rubbish really. Driver shouldn’t have to worry about this.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was charging at ionity. I will look into the battery temperature more next time.
Here are charging speeds you should expect, assuming the DC charger is 800V and is able to provide the power. 400V chargers you are limited to 50KW or 150KW if your car is equipped with the optional 400V 150KW DC charger upgrade (AFAIK you have to spec it with the car, cannot retrofit like upgraded AC charger).
Porsche Taycan Dissapointing tacan DC charging 1697280256783

The above came from this thread.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bit rubbish really. Driver shouldn’t have to worry about this.
Yea, it's an oversight, but requires integration across multiple companies, so I can see that taking time to work out. I use Taycan navigation for trips with DC charging, though sometimes I use Waze since I typically drive in Sport+ on highways. which keeps the battery close to the optimum charging speed (especially on fast highways with 80mph limits and possibly mountains to overcome). Waze doesn't add charging stops (at least yet), but Apple Maps does (if you set it up in MyPorsche), so technically driving in Sport+ and navigating via Apple Maps should work ok. Below are target battery thermal ranges for different modes. With Apple CarPlay integration, lack of preheat of the battery does seem like a silly oversight, since CarPlay already facilitates controlling of car functions (HVAC, etc) and communicating back the battery levels including estimated battery level at the charger, so the fact that battery preheat functionality is missing seems like engineers at Apple vs. Porsche could not agree on how to do this, or forgot it would be needed in the first place (most of them probably don't drive EV's).

Porsche Taycan Dissapointing tacan DC charging 1697280584769

Last edited:
OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Mine has the 22kw AC and 150kw DC DC converter. I think both are iptions

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine has the 22kw AC and 150kw DC DC converter. I think both are iptions
AC charger doesn't do anything for DC charging,. 150KW DC booster triples your 400V max DC charge rate. Both are options (at least in the USA). My personal opinion is that the 150KW option should be standard, as it limits the Taycan significantly. Until recently there was almost no 400V DC chargers in the US, but the entire Tesla network is 400V, so as it's opening up, it's starting to matter. I saw a brand new Turbo S recently without this option, and I sighed. Why would you spec a $200K and skip a $500 option?

If you arrive with 50% SoC, you need your battery to be at 95F (35C) to achieve 250KW charge rate, and it will drop quickly as the car fills up (at 60%, your max is probably 170KW with hot battery). See the graph in posts #9 what you can expect based on temperature, and post #4 what to expect >60% assuming nice and hot battery.

Last edited:

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Waze doesn't add charging stops (at least yet), but Apple Maps does (if you set it up in MyPorsche),
just for clarity, charging points on Apple Maps is a US-only feature at present. Or, as the Apple documentation clumsily puts it, “EV routing is available on select vehicles and in select areas. Features vary by country and region.”

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It does charge, really fast! Mine is set to charge from 20% so I went inside the gas station to get water and a coffee. 15 minutes later battery was 80% and ready to go.

Porsche Taycan Dissapointing tacan DC charging Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 10.45.27 AM
Sponsored