DC charging keeps failing

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
50kw charges keep failing after about 10-15 minutes use. It will restart fine but then just stop, the app says charging paused but I don’t believe what the app is telling me.

this has happened on two different make chargers now, and it’s starting to get very frustrating as currently away on a road trip.

any ideas on a fix?
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
@jetbox So your Dc charging, so profiles should not matter. The only thing I can think of is the switch off car before charging. Your probably doing that already, so no help I guess. You might need to pop into a service centre to look?

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Yep, DC charging. The think the message about profiles in the app is just a standard message for charging paused ( when it is paused by the profile with an ac charge). I will ignore that as a red herring.....

I have tried locking first and it’s no different, something has changed/ broken I am pretty sure. It’s always been rock steady charging prior to me getting the electrical system error earlier in the trip. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order...

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Yep, DC charging. The think the message about profiles in the app is just a standard message for charging paused ( when it is paused by the profile with an ac charge). I will ignore that as a red herring.....

I have tried locking first and it’s no different, something has changed/ broken I am pretty sure. It’s always been rock steady charging prior to me getting the electrical system error earlier in the trip. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order...
Please post updates after the dealer

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Two chargers today both at instavolt 50kw sites and both were fine, no dropouts or anything, a good solid charge at 48kw displayed.... I am wondering now if it was a couple of duff GeniePoint chargers.

will monitor the situation and see what happens at other chargers along the route.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm following this thread with great interest - one of the things that frustrates me about EV's in general - is it's very hard to tell if during charging something is happening because the eV charging hardware is causing it or the vehicle is causing it…

example: when at Paso Robles, CA @ Electrify America 2 weeks ago - charge rate started out at 240 kW and climbed slightly - but then when I checked a short while later - it had fallen to 154 kW - now was that because the Taycan lowered the charge rate? or did the Charging Station "run out of juice" and needed to lower the rate to the slower rate? No idea and none of the software/UI shows you what caused the drop in charge rate - frustrating!!!

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Yep, I agree it’s frustrating. It’s the longest roads trip I have done and using a whole bunch of different make chargers that I have not used before. It has taught me that charging at home and a few known local area chargers is easy. Longer trips need a bit of planning and relying on charge brands you know are reliable is more stress free and worth the detour. I also find that generally EV drivers are a friendly bunch and happy to share their experiences.
Sponsored