Dealing with the front license plate

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Do you have points on your licence endorsement system?
in the US license points are not attached to mechanical/safety violations
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I don't think you're suppose to drive with the STO-N-SHO licenses mounted as you're driving? It's only installed when the car is parked? As I understand it, its not sturdy enough to be driven with it mounted
Nope, plate is mounted 100% of the time, no issues. Was detailing the car yesterday and popped the plate off. Put it back on when done. It's very sturdy, all made of metal no plastic.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I mentioned license plates to my dealer, and not wanting him to install the front plate on. His reaction was basically "Oh god no, why would we ruin it and put the front plate on?" and said that the only place he's had issues is in Chicago parking enforcement, so if I plan to regularly do public parking there to get something like the STO-N-SHO that he had.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I would think that with the turbo there would be a concern for clearance. I ran one on a Cayman for a long time before I sold the car, never had a problem. Other then the occasional scrape of the mount.

Used the screws supplied with the mount, the factory screws would be too short.

The taycan instructions has these warnings:

Caution: Bracket lowers ground clearance by approx 1/2 inch. Remove prior to entering automated car wash
Exercise care when entering or exiting steep driveways or damage will occur Parking Stops or high curbs, stop well before or damage will occur
Remove prior to running on track or racing

n4ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've been driving in Virginia with no front plate since September 2020 with no issues.
I got pulled over last night for no front plate after having my 4S for 8 months. Cop just gave me a warning and told me to take care of the front plate.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I got pulled over last night for no front plate after having my 4S for 8 months. Copy just gave me a warning and told me to take care of the front plate.
it is possible that the warning was noted and if you are stopped again they could issue a citation.

n4ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
it is possible that the warning was noted and if you are stopped again they could issue a citation.
He gave me a index card with the citation # and his name and let me go.

rx7arai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
If you are really worried about a fix-it ticket for no front license plate, but don't want to drill holes in your bumper. You can look into these guys:

http://licenseplatewrap.com/

I bought one from them and it's really high quality stuff. It's also DMV approved.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
For those in the US, how have you dealt with installing the front license plate and making the Porsche look less than perfect?
Here in CA while the front plate is technically mandatory, most Porsche owners simply don't bother and usually unless you are giving the cop a reason to pull you over for a moving violation, getting a ticket is incredibly rare for a lack of front plate alone. However if you do get pulled over for speeding, broken taillight, whatever then you can get slapped with a no front plate fine and can't say a damn thing about it.

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate 2022-08-01_09-44-50

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate 2022-08-01_09-45-12

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate 2022-08-01_09-45-54

In my 15 years of owning performance cars in Living in CA I've never bothered with any of them, only on my boring famil haulers and SUVs where I don't care.

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate PSX_20211223_111942

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Here in CA while the front plate is technically mandatory, most Porsche owners simply don't bother and usually unless you are giving the cop a reason to pull you over for a moving violation, getting a ticket is incredibly rare for a lack of front plate alone.
In WA meter maids giving parking tickets will give you a no front plate ticket too. Not sure whether no front license plate is sufficient by itself anymore to pull someone over (laws changed on that recently), but it was few years back when I got pulled over in what I would characterize as "low hanging fruit ticket revenue drive" - a bunch of cops (5 or 6 cruisers) setup at the exit of an office building parking lot at the end of a workday, and pulled over anyone with no front plate or expired plates. They pulled me over but let me go as I had temporary registration still in effect (new car then) but I saw them writing up cars on the side of the road with more cars waiting in line to get a ticket.

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I am using the STO and SHO plate holder that you can easily remove when needed. Since I don't see it, I leave it on all of the time. Seems to work well.

I have some big road trips coming up, and I was wondering whether the tag has any noticeable impact on range. I doubt it, but if it did, I would just remove it for road trips, keep it in the car, and if I got pulled over I would reinstall on the spot.

I know the is probably an esoteric question, but has anyone compared range at highway speeds with and without front US-style tag?

bxwatso

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT
Country flag
In Colorado, it's "required" to have a front plate, but you'll only be ticketed for it if you park illegally. For normal traffic violations, they won't even bother (and I've had plenty of opportunities to be ticketed for it...).
Any thoughts on the "Custom License Plates" sticker plate? How does Colorado view these?

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Haven't tried the sticker plates, but then again, I haven't had any issues with the lack of a front license plate to even bother looking for a solution. ;-)

KoSoVaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Performance, M5 Comp
Country flag
Anyone know if the sto n show will work on a GTS ST with the SportDesign Package in Carbon Fiber?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
In WA meter maids giving parking tickets will give you a no front plate ticket too. Not sure whether no front license plate is sufficient by itself anymore to pull someone over (laws changed on that recently), but it was few years back when I got pulled over in what I would characterize as "low hanging fruit ticket revenue drive" - a bunch of cops (5 or 6 cruisers) setup at the exit of an office building parking lot at the end of a workday, and pulled over anyone with no front plate or expired plates. They pulled me over but let me go as I had temporary registration still in effect (new car then) but I saw them writing up cars on the side of the road with more cars waiting in line to get a ticket.
Yeah fortunately that never seems to happen with cars parked at meters here in CA, altho technically meter maids are within their rights to issue citations if they want (I say I'VE never experienced it and parked my performance cars on the streets several times). I also have darker than legal tint as well and have never got tint tickets from meter maids either but I've heard from plenty of people getting ticketed for tint while parked at a meter.
Sponsored