First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
FYI......there are 2 major reasons they want you to have a front license plate:

First is for identification so they can see the plate in video, pictures and intersections that have those photo-cameras

Second is because those speed guns rely on the signal bouncing back to the gun, they need a reflective surface and without a nice rectangular front license plate it makes it hard for them to get a signal to bounce back....in other words, our Taycan's have a low radar signature with all the aerodynamic lines!

Most cops and highway patrol tend to be sympathetic to the exotic sports car and they'll often overlook the lack of front license plate.....but once you get cited, you need to show the correction and they often won't let you just pay a fine; you could have trouble re-registering the car depending on the state you live in.

Sneaky but you can use a good sticker and then glue the plate to the sticker and be sure to park where the corrections officer can readily see the plate on the car....a quick visual will do the trick 98% of the time, rarely will they inspect the secure nature of the plates attachment to the vehicle....but be sure to cut the heads off some screws to make it look good.

Also, those stickers that look like license plates and have the correct numbers.....most states won't allow those and that goes back to my 2nd listed reason: no reflective surface for the speed gun!

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
counting from the bottom:

row #1: not tested, but higher mount position than row #2 - so this would definitely not interfere with parking distance sensor
row #2: my current mounting row - 30 minutes of low speed parking lot testing - no false positive signals from the one sensor - Lower plate position visually which I prefer - so we're going with this mount location for now
row #3 - looks like it may also clear the sensor - untested at this time - but would be a lower plate mount position and therefore in my mind visually more appealing - I have not tested this mount location as of this posting
row #4 - definately too low and will interfere with the parking sensor.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 1.46.00 PM.jpg
@daveo4EV, are you still using the Rennline plate and are you happy with it?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@daveo4EV, are you still using the Rennline plate and are you happy with it?
good question - the answer is no…

over the past few years I've moved away from the tow hook based plate solutions for two main reasons:
  1. I simply can't get them positioned on my vehicles to avoid interference of the front bumper sensors
  2. automated car washes sometimes get tangled with them and bad things happen
I however still pursue solutions to avoid the hassle of a "front plate fix it ticket" - they are a hassle - so I've moved to a compromise solution…since a front plate is still a matter of law in California

the CA legislature and DMV have approved a "sticker" for your front plate area that is 100% legal - and you can order it from here…

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

My 911 TurboS and Taycan both have these "sticker" plates - and while I don't love them - I also don't hate them - and they "fit the bill" for solving the front plate dilemma in California if you care to do so - I would have one for my '21 Cayenne but the front surface area of the Cayenna has no flat surface large enough to accommodate one of these full plate sized stickers so I'm still illegal on that vehicle.

my son's Model Y also has one of these plates - and it's pretty ideal for that vehicle as well.

good luck!

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Front plates are mandatory in Hawaii but for certain brands like Porsche it's seems to be optional. This is my second Porsche and each time I've been stopped for speeding in both the front plate was missing and never once was I cited.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Drill, baby, drill. The OEM plate holder fits perfectly - zero movement.
Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate 1683742077336
Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate 1683742110833

It went pretty quickly, too.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
1683742077336.png
1683742110833.png

Old pictures, or did you just get around to it? If the latter, why now, ticket? Also, why not VHB tape?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
1683742077336.png
1683742110833.png

I have to confess this hurts my soul more than watching someone put Coca Cola into a nice rum or orange juice into a nice champagne (or ask for a well done steak). 😂

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Old pictures, or did you just get around to it? If the latter, why now, ticket? Also, why not VHB tape?
Old pics, did this a while ago. (Actually right after I finally got my plates.) No ticket, just didn’t want to live a life of crime anymore. Slept better too - or it might have been the night cap.

Wanted to use VHB tape initially, but upon closer examination the plate holder has a narrow edge (hollow inside/underneath) and I didn’t feel comfortable with the small contact surface - especially at high speed. (I confess I did not give up on all manners of crime.)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Old pics, did this a while ago. (Actually right after I finally got my plates.) No ticket, just didn’t want to live a life of crime anymore. Slept better too - or it might have been the night cap.

Wanted to use VHB tape initially, but upon closer examination the plate holder has a narrow edge (hollow inside/underneath) and I didn’t feel comfortable with the small contact surface - especially at high speed. (I confess I did not give up on all manners of crime.)
Last I checked traffic code violations are not crimes in Washington state by the way. No license plate is definitely not a crime in WA, neither is regular speeding (it is in other states, like Georgia), unless you cross into reckless driving, which I think is in the criminal code.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Last I checked traffic code violations are not crimes in Washington state by the way.
It was all tongue-in-cheek 😁. With a shred of truth - I did have a bit of an uneasy time deviating from my own righteousness on the topic of front license plates: it is required, it is just a car and I wasn’t going to make exceptions.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
European cars come with the supports already pre fitted so the painful drilling is done at the factory. I would cry seeing it being mounted.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea, I looked at mine. I just might be enough if you put all 4 circles of VHB where the screws are holding it, perhaps add a plastic circle on the screw side to stick through the hole (it's a pretty strong tape, holding many cars together, holds dashcams on less than 1 square inch of tape) but yea, if it was me I'd probably fashion an additional bracket to have a bit more more surface area.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I saw my first Taycan with a front plate the other day. Holy crap did it look bad. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a car where a front plate looked worse.
Sponsored