Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Registering a 21MY in 2022 can not be good for future values as you will not see the car before 1st March now same as me I imagine. Porsche will open the configurator in June too for the 23MY’s to make matters worse. Has you dealer offered anything in compensation?
I totally agree its just not good enough

I am still waiting for any delivery info for my car which has been stuck in German compound now for 32 days making me really starting to think could I just cancel and get my deposit back or am I legally obliged to buy the car its very bad and would appear no customer relations seem to matter even when you pay £120k for a car
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think there are several problems and component shortages is just one of them.
There are also some persistent faults being reported like non-functioning heating and alarms going off for no reason. I don't know how genuinely widespread they are since the internet is not a place to find facts but even several it is a problem that must be addressed.

If these require new parts or a re-design it is better for the manufacturer to do it before delivery. I personally would rather wait than get a car with faults. I have never owned an unreliable car.

In reality cancelling an order for a super in-demand model is simply pointless since it is no problem for the dealer or manufacturer and the only beneficiaries are the other customers all going up one place in the queue.

The only things available quickly and cheaply tend to be things nobody particularly wants.

For me the CT 4S is the only car currently in production which appeals to me, so it is either that or not buying a new car.
I paid a deposit mid-July so far no indication of a build slot.

pdavison

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Velar, Harley Davidson Sportster
Country flag
Hi, do you know which Porsche dealer you company is ordering through?

I placed my order in July 21 through salary sacrifice, my company is going through Porsche Cambridge. I was given an early Feb delivery date, which moved to early April and informed this week it is going to June.
I'm in a similar position but only ordered last month and my salary exchange scheme is using Porsche Cambridge. I'm expecting a 12 month lead time.

OP
OP

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I think there are several problems and component shortages is just one of them.
There are also some persistent faults being reported like non-functioning heating and alarms going off for no reason. I don't know how genuinely widespread they are since the internet is not a place to find facts but even several it is a problem that must be addressed.

If these require new parts or a re-design it is better for the manufacturer to do it before delivery. I personally would rather wait than get a car with faults. I have never owned an unreliable car.

In reality cancelling an order for a super in-demand model is simply pointless since it is no problem for the dealer or manufacturer and the only beneficiaries are the other customers all going up one place in the queue.

The only things available quickly and cheaply tend to be things nobody particularly wants.

For me the CT 4S is the only car currently in production which appeals to me, so it is either that or not buying a new car.
I paid a deposit mid-July so far no indication of a build slot.
I agree and with hindsight think you are right its just frustrating when you given a date then there is no communication even if its going to be a few more months somebody in Porsche should have some idea

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I totally agree its just not good enough

I am still waiting for any delivery info for my car which has been stuck in German compound now for 32 days making me really starting to think could I just cancel and get my deposit back or am I legally obliged to buy the car its very bad and would appear no customer relations seem to matter even when you pay £120k for a car
Given MY changes late in the year deliveries of MY change typically occur in Oct / Nov and so most MY21s will get registered in 2022 given the low volume of allocations / build slots / deliveries per month.

I used to get up tight about these things but now I target the latest MY I can get in the intended delivery year to ensure I get the 'latest' and benefit for having it longer before the next MY change.

I wouldn't sweat the resale either as these cars are in high demand and the MY vintage is now becoming less of a valuation factor - a few squid here or there (not thousands).

A while back I had read somewhere that due to the delivery delays in 2021 customers in Europe (excl UK) were being offered €52 / day compensation until their car arrived. Not sure if this was in fact true but a token gesture at best.

You have to accept (like it or not) that Porsche is very much a "build it and they will come" outfit and if you don't want their cars someone else will such is the demand. I don't condone this for one moment but 20+ years of signing up to the brand has taught me a thing or too. That said, don't get me started on Dealership arrogance, Porsche administrative incompetence nor early adoption of new models!

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Registering a 21MY in 2022 can not be good for future values as you will not see the car before 1st March now same as me I imagine. Porsche will open the configurator in June too for the 23MY’s to make matters worse. Has you dealer offered anything in compensation?
Well, when my dealer contacted me before Christmas he had a reg number for me (a 71 plate) so mine is presumably already registered. Going to be embarrassing if like you say it's delivered after 1st March and I'm receiving a 71 after people are receiving 22s

When it became obvious in September that the car wasn't arriving anytime soon I hassled them for a loan vehicle if you can count that as compensation. Typical of Porsche UK it's through Enterprise so it's not a Porsche loaner but a Volvo XC60. I really dislike SUVs and whenever i drive it all it does is remind me that I'm still waiting for my Taycan so I find it hard to view it a compensation.

Reading this thread though, maybe I should be glad I even got an allocation. I just find it annoying that thousands of MY22s have been delivered to customers and collection of my MY21 is still weeks, maybe months, away

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are also some persistent faults being reported like non-functioning heating and alarms going off for no reason.
These things are still affecting MY22s though and they are being delivered to customers. As people have said before, there's something that happened to those July build MY21s that Porsche aren't admitting to

Totally agree with you about cancelling your order is pointless if the car is already built. I expect the dealer would be absolutely delighted if you did that so they could then sell a brand new Taycan for £15-20k above what you were going to pay for it

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
These things are still affecting MY22s though and they are being delivered to customers. As people have said before, there's something that happened to those July build MY21s that Porsche aren't admitting to

Totally agree with you about cancelling your order is pointless if the car is already built. I expect the dealer would be absolutely delighted if you did that so they could then sell a brand new Taycan for £15-20k above what you were going to pay for it
I am not sure official Porsche dealers are allowed to ask over list for a new car in the UK.

Noody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (on order)
Country flag
Stupid Q, I thought the car had to be physically in the UK to get a UK registration?

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You could be right actually. With used Taycans going for well over MSRP at the moment, that could lead to an interesting difference in prices on a dealer's forecourt if someone does cancel an order for a car that's already been built!

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stupid Q, I thought the car had to be physically in the UK to get a UK registration?
My dealer definitely gave me the reg number of my car when he contacted on 17th December while it was waiting for a boat at Emden (and is still sitting there to this day). It'll be interesting to see whether this is the reg that the car has when I collect it. I'm starting to think that the dealer made me think the delivery of my car was imminent when he knew it was still weeks away so that I would pay the balance and he'd have that in the bank before year end but maybe I'm being too cynical

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

If you don't get your car until March then the dealer should register it as a 22 plate - insist on it. It will still be a MY22 car if built after Aug / Sep'21.

You do not / never pay for a car in full until you have taken delivery of it so that can't be an excuse / explanation either. All the dealer will get is a quota credit for selling the car in whatever period it was.

Until you have a VIN for the car I doubt it can be registered either and almost tempted to say you can't register a car that doesn't physically exist or in the country.

Perhaps they meant they had a 71 reg available for use and you could pick from what they had but if the car arrives in Feb don't register it until March (that would be stupid) if you can at all avoid it - request the dealer not to do so.

neilj007

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan, Renault Zoe
Country flag
You could be right actually. With used Taycans going for well over MSRP at the moment, that could lead to an interesting difference in prices on a dealer's forecourt if someone does cancel an order for a car that's already been built!
Porsche Teeside have a black Taycan 4 CT for £121,940, 2 owner, 2k miles - £20k over list?

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you don't get your car until March then the dealer should register it as a 22 plate - insist on it. It will still be a MY22 car if built after Aug / Sep'21.

You do not / never pay for a car in full until you have taken delivery of it so that can't be an excuse / explanation either. All the dealer will get is a quota credit for selling the car in whatever period it was.

Until you have a VIN for the car I doubt it can be registered either and almost tempted to say you can't register a car that doesn't physically exist or in the country.

Perhaps they meant they had a 71 reg available for use and you could pick from what they had but if the car arrives in Feb don't register it until March (that would be stupid) if you can at all avoid it - request the dealer not to do so.
This is all very interesting. My car started production in July so even though it didn't exit production until November it has an 'M' for the 10th character in the VIN indicating MY21

I signed a 'preliminary registration' document that has a 71 reg number in it so you're probably right that if it arrives after 1st March I can insist on a 22 plate

Finally, in the email my dealer sent me on the 17th December telling me my car was at Emden he asked for payment of the balance and included bank details for a transfer so it was pretty explicit. Are you saying he shouldn't have done that? Foolishly I did pay because it seemed that delivery was imminent but now I realise I shouldn't have done that until he had confirmed a handover date.

Last edited:

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Teeside have a black Taycan 4 CT for £121,940, 2 owner, 2k miles - £20k over list?
Yeah, it seems you have the ridiculous situation where they can sell used cars way above MSRP but if they receive a new car they have to sell it at list
Sponsored