f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
That’s quite true, my Vogue despite mud & snow Scorpion Verde tyres, almost got me into a ditch a few times as traction was brilliant but it just wouldn’t turn / brake on compact / icy snow.
The lighter Countryman AWD was much better!
I’m going to be bold and leave my Granturismo on P Zeros for the sake of trying it - how could it go wrong? 😬
Not much point in being better able to "get going" if you can neither steer nor stop!

It is pretty unusual using winter tyres in the UK but I was a convert when I tried the difference for myself when i was working in central France. It was the difference between slithering along with one wheel in the gutter (and probably mainly gripping the kerb!) and driving almost normally the next day on winter tyres.
I have used them ever since :) we don't get much snow but when we do the gain is vast and they are a fair bit better in cold wet conditions as well.
Sponsored

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I live in the NE of England where is snows nearly every winter and I've never used winter tyres. I've had RWD BMWs and only got stuck twice. Just drive slower!

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
I live in the NE of England where is snows nearly every winter and I've never used winter tyres. I've had RWD BMWs and only got stuck twice. Just drive slower!
I live in the NE of England too and always use winter tyres. A few years back when "the beast from the east" arrived I was pretty much the only car that could get up my steep bank that I live on (hilly Northumberland!). I guess it depends heavily on location but for me it's a no brainer to stick them on when the temp drops below 7 degrees as like @f1eng mentioned they also work wonders in wet conditions.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live in the NE of England too and always use winter tyres. A few years back when "the beast from the east" arrived I was pretty much the only car that could get up my steep bank that I live on (hilly Northumberland!). I guess it depends heavily on location but for me it's a no brainer to stick them on when the temp drops below 7 degrees as like @f1eng mentioned they also work wonders in wet conditions.
Horses for courses. I live on the coast. Flat.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Have you got a fair bit of experience driving on winter tyres showing they don’t make much difference where you live?

IME the difference is between slithering along slowly one wheel in the gutter and proceeding almost normally and being able to steer and stop.

I wish somebody had showed me what winter tyres did earlier than 1990 it would have saved me decades of inconvenience.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you got a fair bit of experience driving on winter tyres showing they don’t make much difference where you live?

IME the difference is between slithering along slowly one wheel in the gutter and proceeding almost normally and being able to steer and stop.

I wish somebody had showed me what winter tyres did earlier than 1990 it would have saved me decades of inconvenience.
No. I never made a comparison I said I've never needed them.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A friend has had his RWD delivered to Wolverhampton Porsche without the 12v battery! He's been told they will release the car once they receive the battery but to expect at least 2 month delay! Crazy. Our cars went into production on the same day the 1st of July! Totally lottery.

skumar55

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I ordered my Porsche Taycan Turbo last November 2021, Porsche Wolverhampton, not heard anything about the order. I chased the guy in Sales who I ordered it from and he was not sure when I will get my car. Any idea guys when you think I will get my Taycan? Thanks in Advance.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
No. I never made a comparison I said I've never needed them.
I understand the logic of this but..

I’ve never changed tyres either and FOR MY USE never had a problem. Occasionally the car has had a slide (aqua planed on M4 in sleet) but the traction control and the 4WD have helped correct that.

When it’s been heavy snow i just don’t bother driving!

The other issue being that there will be a lot of people who don’t have the space to store another set of tyres and alloys or want to have the hassle of swapping out every year.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand the logic of this but..

I’ve never changed tyres either and FOR MY USE never had a problem. Occasionally the car has had a slide (aqua planed on M4 in sleet) but the traction control and the 4WD have helped correct that.

When it’s been heavy snow i just don’t bother driving!

The other issue being that there will be a lot of people who don’t have the space to store another set of tyres and alloys or want to have the hassle of swapping out every year.
30 winters of driving in coastal NE I've got stuck twice. I just slow it down a bit and as you say if it's heavy I don't travel by car. No doubt winter tyres have better grip I just have never needed to fork out for the. Mind I've totally jinxed myself now and will splatter the car this winter lol.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I ordered my Porsche Taycan Turbo last November 2021, Porsche Wolverhampton, not heard anything about the order. I chased the guy in Sales who I ordered it from and he was not sure when I will get my car. Any idea guys when you think I will get my Taycan? Thanks in Advance.
If it's going to be built this year then they'd have told you by now. So now the earliest you might get it would be March, if it gets built early 2023.

Car_fan

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
There is confusion and chaos because of the summer factory shutdown, port strike and also a 12V battery shortage (as well as other supply issues)all happening at the same time.
My car was built last week but my dealer hasn’t given me a firm date when I will get the car, other than saying I “should” get in September.

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
March at best

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I ordered mine at the same time as you (Turbo S) and after originally being told May this year - (before the Ukraine stuff scuppered that) and then potentially October / November as a guess, they're now saying up to six months from now. It's very likely going to be Q1 in 2023 at best.

Just depends on the allocation at this point. Can't see them getting one this side of the year now if they've been told what to expect.
Sponsored