Depreciation

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would have ordered solid roof if it was available. Now that I’ve had my car for 3.5 months and 5K miles, actually like the extra head space. If I was to order again, I’d order glass roof. Preferences change I guess.
The pano roof doesn’t have any extra head space. In fact there is less headroom around the edge. Fixed roof cars almost always offer more headroom.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The pano roof doesn’t have any extra head space. In fact there is less headroom around the edge. Fixed roof cars almost always offer more headroom.
My experience has been the opposite - thin metal shell + structural supports/beams + liner always thicker than just glass.

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
Loved reading through this and appreciate all the insight from everyone! The reason I have been researching this is due to my 4S getting totaled out a few weeks ago.

Bought it May 22 from Porsche Chicago. 2021 4S certified with 4K miles, it has a $150K MSRP and I got it for $140k.

Insurance is currently trying to pay out $109K and I have sent the sticker in hopes of them bumping it up. I do understand, in the current market, $109K is probably very fair but we’ll see.

Once this is taken care of, looking at a 20-21 Turbo S for a replacement. Just curious is a 20 TS for say $125K now, would drop next year to $100K say.
Did you get the turbo s in the end? I am considering upgrading from my current MY23 CT4s to a CTTS. Wondering how u value to TS in terms of driving experience as compared to the 4s? Cheers

OP
OP
Icey4s

Icey4s

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 21 Audi SQ8, 20 330i, 19 M5 C
Country flag
Did you get the turbo s in the end? I am considering upgrading from my current MY23 CT4s to a CTTS. Wondering how u value to TS in terms of driving experience as compared to the 4s? Cheers

I did, I ended up with a 21 Turbo S. Even with the 4s I had being such a high spec, it's still a night and day difference for me. I always felt like the 4s was lacking a little on power (for me , I know in general it has enough power for most) but the TS is just something else. Makes me smile every time I drive it.

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
I did, I ended up with a 21 Turbo S. Even with the 4s I had being such a high spec, it's still a night and day difference for me. I always felt like the 4s was lacking a little on power (for me , I know in general it has enough power for most) but the TS is just something else. Makes me smile every time I drive it.
Mate...I know how you feel. I am going for it as well. I need that acceleration.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My experience has been the opposite - thin metal shell + structural supports/beams + liner always thicker than just glass.
But it’s not the case in any car. The addition of a glass roof reduces the headroom around the outer edge due to the support required, which impacts the driver. In the Taycan, it’s pretty much a non issue, but in some vehicles, it’s a big difference. I passed on a Macan a few years back for this very reason, my head hit the roof on the edge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But it’s not the case in any car. The addition of a glass roof reduces the headroom around the outer edge due to the support required, which impacts the driver.
All it takes to disprove "any car" is providing just one counter example. I've owned both Model S with glass roof (not pano, which opens) and ones with metal roof. Glass roof definitely adds more headroom. I've seen similar in other cars too, but Model S is the only one where I owned both variants at the same time, so could definitely compare.

Glass is structurally stronger than a thin sheet of metal, so if the car is designed for a glass roof, it ends up thinner. If a manufacturer designs for metal roof but then retrofits glass, it can end up thicker.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
All it takes to disprove "any car" is providing just one counter example. I've owned both Model S with glass roof (not pano, which opens) and ones with metal roof. Glass roof definitely adds more headroom. I've seen similar in other cars too, but Model S is the only one where I owned both variants at the same time, so could definitely compare.

Glass is structurally stronger than a thin sheet of metal, so if the car is designed for a glass roof, it ends up thinner. If a manufacturer designs for metal roof but then retrofits glass, it can end up thicker.
I guess the Tesla is unique…

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/your-car/6-reasons-to-avoid-a-panoramic-roof/

In these cars, I’d guess it’s a wash. The structure of the fixed roof is not thick at all. I’m 6’2”, and I’ve got a lot of room above my head in the Taycan.

Last edited:

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
You guys are talking about depreciation like you are surprised a high end, massively complicated and high priced sedan isnt going to lose money. Are you also mad you lost your pants when you invested in a roulette strategy your buddy 'guarantees works every time'?

Buying this new, you can expect huge depreciation, it's the regular curve! You order new because you want to pick every option exactly to your specification and want it totally new, not because its a good financial decision.

Rant over

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
You guys are talking about depreciation like you are surprised a high end, massively complicated and high priced sedan isnt going to lose money. Are you also mad you lost your pants when you invested in a roulette strategy your buddy 'guarantees works every time'?

Buying this new, you can expect huge depreciation, it's the regular curve! You order new because you want to pick every option exactly to your specification and want it totally new, not because its a good financial decision.

Rant over
lol, unfortunately this has been a theme of late coupled with the normal human behaviour of resentment that Taycan is but only a luxury vehicle and WILL loose value as per 95% of mainstream cars. Purchase price and options added to the spec have no relation to used price except to provide the depreciation calculation point. Your post is in my view correct on so many fronts……

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess the Tesla is unique…

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/your-car/6-reasons-to-avoid-a-panoramic-roof/

In these cars, I’d guess it’s a wash. The structure of the fixed roof is not thick at all. I’m 6’2”, and I’ve got a lot of room above my head in the Taycan.
The topgear article talks about opening sunroofs. I was talking about fixed glass roof, like in a Taycan. Anyone have pictures/measurements of Taycan CT with vs. without glass roof? I know the glass in my Taycan CT is not that thick, so a layer of steel/aluminum + sound/heat insulation + interior liner would likely be thicker. If so, unless the solid roof Taycan is taller, the inside space is reduced (perhaps not by very much, but still reduced).

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
It surprises me that so many people are surprised and annoyed at something as obvious as high depreciation on a high value car full of emerging tech, 2-3 years on from the initial rush on lease orders.

How do people get to a situation where they have the money to drop 100k on a car but can’t read the tea leaves in terms of pricing? Genuine question...not trying to be combative.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It surprises me that so many people are surprised and annoyed at something as obvious as high depreciation on a high value car full of emerging tech, 2-3 years on from the initial rush on lease orders.

How do people get to a situation where they have the money to drop 100k on a car but can’t read the tea leaves in terms of pricing? Genuine question...not trying to be combative.
Rich does not always equal smart.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I did, I ended up with a 21 Turbo S. Even with the 4s I had being such a high spec, it's still a night and day difference for me.
Agreed. To everyone reading though, I'd like to repeat that as far as we know, the Turbo S's additional power is so far only available when doing Launch Control.

That was the major reason why I went for the Turbo instead of the Turbo S. The extra price for something which I would only experience during Launch Control wasn't worth it for me.

So if you want that crazy power in all other regular situations, you can safely take the Turbo.

Happy to be proven wrong!
Sponsored