Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I dont think components used in charging will affect warranty. I do believe that charging for daily use at 85% is important as they may look at logs if you claim a battery warranty claim.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
what charginug components you‘re using can not matter - at the end of the day the car’s Battery management system has full control - and electricity is electricity - porsche supports standard charging protocols in various regions - they can not expect you to use their charging components - and they are in full control of the vehicle battery via their factory BMS software - the warranty would be pointless if it requires you to use a Porsche charger.

the external charging systems can’t force the BMS to do something it won’t allow - and the onboard BMS is the ultimate authority of what happen to the battery - and that system is 100% under Porsche’s control - even the owner of the vehicle can’t bypass it.

external charging systems only provide electricity to the vehicle -they can not force the vehicle to take it…the BMS controls the electrical flow and the rate of charge - external charging equipment boil down to pretty dump “pumps” simply participating in the flow control signals from the vehicle’s BMS…even “smart” external chargers can only change the “flow” they offer, not force the car to take a flow it doesn’t want (i.e. the external charger can lower or increase the potential amount of power available at any given time - but it is the vehicle’s BMS that adjust the charge rate when it sees a potential change in available power)

this is most evident in the charging taper that you see when the battery is nearlly full or outside optimal temperature range - a 350 kW charger always has 350 kW available - but it’s the vehicles BMS software that only lets the vehicle charge at 80 kW when the ambient temperature is at -3C

the only thing the BMS can’t do is draw more power than is made available to it - other than that it has complete and absolute control over everything battery related.

the _ONLY_ way to bypass the BMS is to remove the battery from the vehicle and hook it directly up to an alternate charging “rigg” and charge it yourself via the raw DC leads and AC inverters…

if the car is charging via the Driver’sSide/Passenger-Side charging port Porsche has full control regardless of who makes the external charger.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
what I have seen with different chargers and different cars is unnecessarily smart charger ‘fighting‘ with the vehicle’s charging hardware/software trying to control the charging schedule.

some chargers can be programmed to know about TOU billing rates - and to enforce this they control their signals to the vehicle and pretend to be offline while plugged in - some vehicle BMS systems get confused if you plug them in and they talk to the charger - and they both sit there and wait to start a charging session - the charger goes to sleep- and when it wakes up later for what ever reason the car won’t reestablisht he charging session until you physically unplug/replug in the vehicle

this does not affect the car’s ability to charge - but it does affect overnight charging reliability in that for some car & charger combinations the charge session will fail to start at 2 am because either the car or the charger has failed to come online at the correct time due to software bugs in either system - this as an EV owner can be quite frustrating if you were relying the car’s scheduled charge to have the car full @ 7am…

this is why I prefer a dumb external charger - because their is no chance of it’s behavior conflicting with what ever the vehicle’s charging software is attempting to accomplish and having the two system argue with each other.

this IMHO is one of the reasons ClipperCreek chargers are consider soooo reliable - they are dumb as a post - and honestly only do two things:
  1. tell the car how much power it can ask for
  2. flip a relay on/off for safety
that’s it- they are simply a high quality software controlled power relay - and the software that controls them is the vehicles software implmentation of the J-1772 protocol - and they only pass thorough the power coming to them - once the relay is open - it’s no different that plugging the battery/inverter directly into the wall - the phase, voltage, amps, ohms, hrz are exactly the characteristics of the power being supplied by the power company…

EV chargers are far less magic than people realize - and there is really nothing they actually do - other than make sure the powerflows only when they are actually plugged into a vehicle.

any “features” an external charger has (consumption monitoring, touch screens, wifi) has nothing to do with the actual charging of the car, but it adds monitoring and visual feedback and such - the underlying core function remains:
  1. tell vehicle how much power I can provide
  2. don’t flip the relay unless I’m actually plugged in
anything beyond this is un-necessary complexity and gets in the way of charging reliability.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have an issue with the charger stopping mid-way and showing "grounding device error" so I purchased the ChargePoint Home Flex with Nema 14-50 for $700. Works perfect with no issues, just like the Tesla plug did for years on the same plug. I had an electrician check grounding and everything was fine.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I have an issue with the charger stopping mid-way and showing "grounding device error" so I purchased the ChargePoint Home Flex with Nema 14-50 for $700. Works perfect with no issues, just like the Tesla plug did for years on the same plug. I had an electrician check grounding and everything was fine.
i had the same, I deactivated the grounding warning and now all is fine

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Question here - will there be any problems with warrantee claims if you are not using 'official Porsche' charging components??
There's no smarts in the communication between the EVSE and the car for AC charging, so there'd be no way for Porsche to deny claims, even if they wanted to. J-1772 is a *very* basic protocol.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
No way! How did I miss that option in the settings? I will check it out. THANK YOU!
Next time you charge wait until you get the error message and the screen turns reddish. Once the charger ‘screen’ turns red follow the instructions. they guide you through the steps required.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just purchased a Mustart Travelmaster gen 2 mobile EVSE. I did a test run with the 115V circuit and it went very well. As Dave suggested, the car's charging profile took over. Next is to try the 240V circuit. This unit has multiple adaptors available and is smart in that it automatically chooses the amperage - 15, 25 or 32 based on the adaptor attached to it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Question here - will there be any problems with warrantee claims if you are not using 'official Porsche' charging components??
Does Porsche require you to buy gas only at Porsche dealerships or only out of Porsche branded gas pumps?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just purchased a Mustart Travelmaster gen 2 mobile EVSE. I did a test run with the 115V circuit and it went very well. As Dave suggested, the car's charging profile took over. Next is to try the 240V circuit. This unit has multiple adaptors available and is smart in that it automatically chooses the amperage - 15, 25 or 32 based on the adaptor attached to it.
I have BOTH the Mustart Travelmaster (32A Dual Voltage) and the Mustart 40A (220 Only) charger. I keep the TravelMaster in the trunk with a few adapters and the 40A is plugged in to the wall (but also removable). They are both very good chargers.

One of the unique characteristics of the 40A 220V Mustart Charger is that it has a "3-Pin" Nema 6-50 plug. (Most others have a 4-pin Nema 14-50). The reason this is beneficial is that you can upgrade a 3-pin (6-50) plug to ALSO use a 4-pin (14-50) RV socket with a simple adapter. You can't (safely) do the opposite (downgrade a 4-pin (14-50) plug to use a 3-pin (6-50) socket). (You can't safely just drop the neutral wire in the 14-50 plug). With a simple and cheap adapter, the Mustart 40A charger can safely be used with both 3-pin (6-50) (Dryer, Welder) and 4-pin (14-50)(RV) sockets!

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
+1 Ordered the 6-50 plug with our Taycan for your exact reasons and consider it a safer solution for the car (rather than all the illegal adapters that drop the neutral but still connect to 14-50 or 14-30).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1 Ordered the 6-50 plug with our Taycan for your exact reasons and consider it a safer solution for the car (rather than all the illegal adapters that drop the neutral but still connect to 14-50 or 14-30).
For similar reasons, I put 14-50 (4-Pin) OUTLETS in my garage. For maximum flexibility, install 4-PIN (14-50) Outlets, buy 3-Pin (6-50) Devices, and keep a couple of adapters around. Its nice to have the neutral available in your outlets if you need it. It also makes it very easy to split your 220V outlet into TWO independant 120V drops with yet another adapter...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Does Porsche require you to buy gas only at Porsche dealerships or only out of Porsche branded gas pumps?
Not sure why my genuine question elicited the snarky response, so I'll try to clarify what I was asking.

First of all, It's pretty basic for any car manufacturer to be very explicit in specifying the type of gas you need to use. For any rechargeable battery, it is also necessary to specify current max, charge rate, voltage etc. My question is really about whether it is possible to hook up to a charging system that could have a negative effect on the battery, and therefore void the warranty. I'm not familiar with EV's or charging systems, so that's why I'm asking.
Sponsored

Last edited: