Do NOT crack your panoramic glass!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@DerekS, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your car without the glass roof, would you? Also, any clue how thick the glass is? I'm trying a fun project to mount a roof mounted radar detector (to mitigate the thermal and noise insulation inside the car) which would be powered via wireless charging type circuit through the glass roof, and noticed there is a portion of the glass roof that is covered from the inside which might make it a perfect place to install the wirelessly powered radar detector - invisible from the inside.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@DerekS, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your car without the glass roof, would you? Also, any clue how thick the glass is? I'm trying a fun project to mount a roof mounted radar detector (to mitigate the thermal and noise insulation inside the car) which would be powered via wireless charging type circuit through the glass roof, and noticed there is a portion of the glass roof that is covered from the inside which might make it a perfect place to install the wirelessly powered radar detector - invisible from the inside.
Sorry, I don’t.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
IMO it's a very stupid option and I've had it damaged on 2 of 2 cars.
Where do you live and do you drive in areas where there are frequent construction vehicles which leave debris on the road that can get kicked up to damage glass.
I have had rental cars windshields damaged in the Dallas/Fort Worth areas from cement & gravel trucks on the highway. I try to avoid getting behind any of these types of vehicles but I've had windshield chips in all my vehicles over the years in California from small gravel getting kicked up by cars in front of me but these can usually be stopped with a chip repair before the star turns into a crack across the entire windshield. I'm crossing my fingers I don't get my roof chipped...

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I would like to see a third party solution with some kind of a rollaway roof :)
Audi RS e-tron GT has a carbon fiber roof. How similar are the two cars' rooflines and who wants to be first to take on a DIY roof-top-swap?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
So you could say Taycan's glass roof feature has made you into a more conservative driver then? ;)
@DerekS ask your insurance carrier about possible “cautious driver so I don’t damage my glass roof” discounts.

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I'm curious, about the replacement of the panoramic glass. I understand it requires replacement of the windshield and rear glass but is this due to the removal of the damaged panoramic glass, installation of panoramic glass or both?

I am wondering why the new glass couldn't be installed with the windshield and rear glass already in place, assuming for discussions sake, the damaged glass was removed without touching the windshield or rear glass.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
The glass roof is the diaphragm for the top of the car. Without it the a,b, & c pillars have nothing restraining them and can easily move. Those movements then leads to cracking the front or rear glass.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I was also blown away that the repair was 10% of the price I paid for the entire car.
that thin light strip on a Hyundai Kona costs more than 9000 € to be replaced ...
It's just the way cars are today.... disposable items🙄

Porsche Taycan Do NOT crack your panoramic glass! Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 07.27.27
Sponsored