Rear glass cracked (have not gone through delivery)

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag
My future Taycan GTS arrived at my dealership today. I’m expecting to take delivery on Saturday.

I drove to the dealership to look at the car today. What a happy moment!

However, I noticed that the rear glass has a substantial crack. The crack is running from the right top corner diagonally down and across to just left of the midpoint of the bottom. The crack can easily be felt from the outside.

Shit happens. And I’m sure this will be covered under warranty. So no stress there on my end.

I’m merely looking for general advice, what to be aware of, and what to check for after the repair is complete? Especially from a functional standpoint, what should I be checking? Should I hold off on taking delivery until the repair is complete?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just make sure they use genuine Porsche glass. Given it’s a warranty situation, it should be a given, but always good to confirm, particularly given supply chains what they are these days.

OP
OP

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag
Thanks. Any advice on whether or not take delivery/complete the paperwork before vs. after the repair?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Thanks. Any advice on whether or not take delivery/complete the paperwork before vs. after the repair?
Given it’s at the dealers, I’d be led by them. Really, a cracked rear screen should be an easy/quick replacement. But who knows with Porsche?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I needed rear window replacement a while back. I was pleasantly surprised that autoglass (not Porsche) got the glass in just a few days. I was expecting weeks!
so you may not have to wait long for it.

I can’t see as there is a problem taking the car before it’s fixed though. Send the SA an email to confirm you’re collecting it and that they’ll be rectifying it. But can’t see they’d do anything other than honour a repair.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am not about the rear glass, but when I had my windshield replaced a couple of months ago, they told me the aftermarket ones are not even out so I didn't have to worry about not getting OEM. I would think it'd be the same with the rear.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
No way would I take delivery of a car with a fault like that. The car should be faultless when you pick it up.

It's Wednesday. Tell them to fix it for Saturday, or you'll wait.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’d wait for the repair, though if they don’t have the glass, it’ll have to come from Germany I believe, so could take time. I had a windshield on a Cayman S replaced under warranty and they told me that it was lucky they had one in stock or it would have taken a while.
Sponsored