Do you guys deploy spoiler when in touchless carwash?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I often use the touchless carwash in my condo and only today I discovered how much water and soap collects under the spoiler. See attached photo, the soap foam was literally coming out for about 10 seconds.

Am I meant to deploy the spoiler position to clean setting when going through a touchless carwash? It must not be good to have that much water and soap just sitting there.

Porsche Taycan Do you guys deploy spoiler when in touchless carwash? PXL_20220303_013535255
Sponsored

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
You are experiencing the challenge I have had with every car wash....there is no good solution.

This is the best I have been able to get. First, the soap gets in there with the spoiler in the 'cleaning position', or not (has nothing to do with going 45mph, and pretty sure it doesn't extend until at least 56mph....), and I always get this issue with your picture either up, or down.

I now, keep it down during the suds/foam portion of the touchless wash, then upon the rinse and spot-free (I don't do wax due to ceramic coating), I keep it up. This has been the least amount of suds that I have been able to have doing it this way and keep it up during the try cycle.

Even with this, I still ensure that I pull over afterward, open the trunk and have a towel handy to let the foam drain from the inside.....like you see in your picture.

I also think that this is an 'issue' as if I don't do this 'draining', I am concerned in the cold, that this will actually freeze somewhere and expand, then cause some issues. So far, no issues, but since day-1 I noticed this and thought to myself that this was a major design oversight.

Not sure if that helps?

OP
OP
Jayyvr890

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Only if I drive through the car wash faster than 45mph.

Otherwise, the spoiler is down.
You do realise there is a dedicated setting to raise the spoiler for cleaning right? lol

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
never knew this about the spoiler. Ive actually never seen it up

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You do realise there is a dedicated setting to raise the spoiler for cleaning right? lol
Except it hardly raises, the setting is useless. My 992's spoiler can be raised, and you can actually get underneath it to clean it, not so with my Taycan.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
:CWL: @Dslev true, it is not dramatic! It is enough for me to put a 'thin' towel over my pinky-finger and clean the lip and the flat portion that raises up. However, with a moderate sized towel, I have to fold the towel, to push it in and drag it across to clean it.

Agreed, it is not dramatic, or high enough for the full position, I think it goes to 'lv1' and it is not ideal.

I still have concerns about the amount of water that gets in there. Water expands when it freezes, there is at least a 0.5 liter of water / suds that comes out when you raise the trunk and let it drain. This could freeze, expand, or cease up the spoiler function all together. Not to mention the 'cleaning position spoiler' is so minimal, that the suds take forever to drain due to adhering to the sides with their surface tension......so you sit there with your trunk up draining for at least 5min and still dripping a little.

I am actually shocked that this is not a bigger issue for more on this forum. I posted something like this in the beginning and I am not even sure I got one response. Glad I am not the only one that is having this issue, but not glad that others are having this issue.....

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
:CWL: @Dslev true, it is not dramatic! It is enough for me to put a 'thin' towel over my pinky-finger and clean the lip and the flat portion that raises up. However, with a moderate sized towel, I have to fold the towel, to push it in and drag it across to clean it.

Agreed, it is not dramatic, or high enough for the full position, I think it goes to 'lv1' and it is not ideal.

I still have concerns about the amount of water that gets in there. Water expands when it freezes, there is at least a 0.5 liter of water / suds that comes out when you raise the trunk and let it drain. This could freeze, expand, or cease up the spoiler function all together. Not to mention the 'cleaning position spoiler' is so minimal, that the suds take forever to drain due to adhering to the sides with their surface tension......so you sit there with your trunk up draining for at least 5min and still dripping a little.

I am actually shocked that this is not a bigger issue for more on this forum. I posted something like this in the beginning and I am not even sure I got one response. Glad I am not the only one that is having this issue, but not glad that others are having this issue.....
Ahhhh good point, it's always sunny and warm in SoCal, so snow, freeze, salt not an issue, but annoying water runs down the back, side and front are. I do use an air blower to blow the water out from a number of spots on the car after a wash, the spoiler, the door handles, headlights etc., works reasonably well. The air blower was $30 at the parts store, it's small and not too crazy on the pressure side, but enough to get all the water out. Takes 5 minutes after the wash.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
blower is a great idea in the summer, however in the winter it is sometimes so cold, I can't wipe it off fast enough before there is a think layer of ice. If I added blowing ambient temp air on it, I fear that this would just accellerate the rapid-freeze.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
In the winter you can borrow the missus’ hair dryer, if it’s a Dyson it will be as fast as a Porsche ! :CWL:
Sponsored