When you exit the car, do you "turn it off" or not? (POLL)

VOTE --When you finish driving your Taycan, after you put it in park, do you...

• Total voters

mamba

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve just gone to check on my car (without the key in my pocket!) and it’s definitely locked and no lit displays inside. So I assume it’s powered down too. What I don’t know is how long that took to happen. I’ll check when I get home tomorrow and keep you updated

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I think this question is really about how you choose to shutdown your car: (1) Do it yourself with the power button OR (2) allow the car to simply shut down. The question is about how you shut down the car's PCM, since there is some suspicion that the end result is different between (1) and (2).

As for locking, don't you just touch the door handles to manually lock the car when you leave? Why would you have to use the button on your key? I have power folding mirrors and I want the reassurance of seeing the mirrors folded so that I know that the car is locked.

OP
OP
arijaycomet

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@KensingtonPark ... you are making the presumption that the car actually does properly shut itself down. According to some dealerships/owners, not shutting the car down via the button leave a chance there is a ghost 12V drain, causing some of the 12V issues. That is why one may opt to use the button inside the car to shut down.

Also re: locking and walking away. Sadly my car does -not- have the power folding mirrors. And when i walk away it has never seemed to make the “chirp” that it is locked. On the other hand our Tesla vehicles have always worked perfectly there, and with the mirrors, also have added that visual reassurance you talk about. If i were to spec my own Taycan (read: not buy an inventory lot car with deep discount) — i would def spec the folding mirrors, for the exact reason you mentioned.

I have thought about trying to not shut down the car, and then not lock the car. And then use the Connect app to check it later. But you’re 100% right that there are really two diff discussions here — how one shuts down car/PCM and how one locks. THanks for pointing that out.... but as they are somewhat interconencted my poll was worded as such. My goal was to see how many people are not shutting “down” w/button as that was my primary curiosity here when i made the post. :)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I see. I definitely agree with the assumption in your poll and with those who think that the state of the car is different if you do not shut down with the power button, which is why I always use the power off. I also suspect that not locking the car also has an impact as well, even when you shut down using the power button.

Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I don’t understand why it has to be so complicated? When you open the driver door, the seat should just move back automatically and the volume of the music should be lowered. And when I close the door and walk away, the car should just turn off.
Like my Tesla s did

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
People leave the car without powering down?! ?

Thats it. I'm out.
I, you simply walk away and hit lock on your key fob or touch the door handle and everything will turn off and lock. I never have use the power button!

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I, you simply walk away and hit lock on your key fob or touch the door handle and everything will turn off and lock. I never have use the power button!
Yeah I found this out recently. Started doing it just so that the music blares out when I open the door so people look over.

Just kidding.

kinda

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have the reflex to always shut if off with the power button. It just feels more final and it also gives me the option to uncheck Interior Monitoring if I want to. Probably more a matter of habit than a requirement...

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Before exiting a vehicle and walking away I turn off the ignition if it's on. I don't care what new features have been programmed into a car to eliminate my interaction with that process, that's simply the way it's done. ;)

Personally, I don't even care that much for the fact the Taycan turns itself on when I enter with the key. I wish there was a way to disable that "feature". I'm just hopelessly old school.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Before exiting a vehicle and walking away I turn off the ignition if it's on. I don't care what new features have been programmed into a car to eliminate my interaction with that process, that's simply the way it's done. ;)

Personally, I don't even care that much for the fact the Taycan turns itself on when I enter with the key. I wish there was a way to disable that "feature". I'm just hopelessly old school.
I thought there was a way to turn that off. I like it but now you have me curious. I will have to check next time I am in the car. I turn it off before leaving as I like that the steering wheels moves out of the way and seat moves back.

RecoveringGT3Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
When I open that car door the car is awake and ready. I can plug in a Navi address and be underway in < 5 seconds from when I pulled the door handle. The boot time and latency on the Taycan is horrid. And I wonder if that would be less bad, if they coded/figured it out.
This depends on how long you wait in between drives. My X isn't driven very much these days and when you get in, it takes forever before it's ready to go. This was not the case when I was driving it daily. Then it's more like you describe: get in and go.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Muscle memory from 7 years of Tesla ownership compels the following behavior: Complete drive, exit car; when you get far enough away, it locks. Approach car, when you get close enough it unlocks: get in & drive away.

The Taycan is partially to blame for nearly identically mimicking the Tesla’s behavior; it’s acting as an enabler for me not pushing the button. :)

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I use the two Taycan shutdown routines like this:

-If I want to egress with my seat still in my driving position, then I just put it in Park, get out, and lock. The car shuts down nicely. When I unlock it, the seat will move to the Easy Entry position, which for me is usually fine. Or if the terrain near the door is such that I'd really like to put the seat into my driving position, then I push and hold the "1" memory button before entering.

-If I want to exit from the Easy Entry position, then I push and hold the Power button (really it's the Operational Readiness button), open the door, and allow the seat to move into the Easy Entry position, then go through my preferred sequence of egress movements.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I use the two Taycan shutdown routines like this:

-If I want to egress with my seat still in my driving position, then I just put it in Park, get out, and lock. The car shuts down nicely. When I unlock it, the seat will move to the Easy Entry position, which for me is usually fine. Or if the terrain near the door is such that I'd really like to put the seat into my driving position, then I push and hold the "1" memory button before entering.

-If I want to exit from the Easy Entry position, then I push and hold the Power button (really it's the Operational Readiness button), open the door, and allow the seat to move into the Easy Entry position, then go through my preferred sequence of egress movements.
Ditto.
Sponsored