Does upgrade 22 kW charger kit include DC 150 kW onboard charger option?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Upgraded our 2020 Taycan Turbo S with the 22 kW upgrade kit two weeks ago. We solved two issues - no chance of my wife driving the Taycan without it and poor cell phone reception in many Porsche club routes made charging often impossible with the My Porsch application.

Our original charger configuration was 11 kW and 150 kW onboard DC (perfect for upcoming 400V Tesla charger use). Did not ask if the 150 kW capability would be preserved - bad assumption, since the new kit replaced all the wiring and connections to the battery (old orange wiring may become artwork on the garage wall). Cannot find any information and have no response from the Porsche dealer.

This may be a Dave4EV question!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
they are separate options…22 kW is not a thing in North America - it's 19.2 kW and not high use feature unless you have your own 80/100 amp EVSE at home/work.

but they are separate modules in the vehicle - so upgrading one will not affect the other - to date there has been no mention of retrofitting 400V/150 kW option - so it would be nearly impossible for it to 'go away' when adjusting other components.

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
Upgraded our 2020 Taycan Turbo S with the 22 kW upgrade kit two weeks ago. We solved two issues - no chance of my wife driving the Taycan without it and poor cell phone reception in many Porsche club routes made charging often impossible with the My Porsch application.

Our original charger configuration was 11 kW and 150 kW onboard DC (perfect for upcoming 400V Tesla charger use). Did not ask if the 150 kW capability would be preserved - bad assumption, since the new kit replaced all the wiring and connections to the battery (old orange wiring may become artwork on the garage wall). Cannot find any information and have no response from the Porsche dealer.

How did you upgrade this?

OP
OP
wmras

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
they are separate options…22 kW is not a thing in North America - it's 19.2 kW and not high use feature unless you have your own 80/100 amp EVSE at home/work.

but they are separate modules in the vehicle - so upgrading one will not affect the other - to date there has been no mention of retrofitting 400V/150 kW option - so it would be nearly impossible for it to 'go away' when adjusting other components.
Thank you, Dave. Further investigation made your observation clearly correct. The old cables from the DC input have very obvious high voltage connectors at the end that do not match any connection on the AC charger. The 22 kW charger 800V output connector is much smaller and rectangular, not round. The DC input must go to the 150 kW onboard convertor (along with the 22 kW AC charger output) on the way to the battery.

Porsche' new 400V charging strategy of splitting the 800V battery into two 400V batteries for charging on 400V DC (Tesla and others) chargers will have to wait for another day, and maybe an upgrade kit. We love our Taycan TS and do not see it leaving any time soon. And yes, we are on the list to buy a Macan EV and look forward to its EV improvements.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
It's now an option that can be added at your dealership for a phenomenal amount of money.

You have to be of a mindset to say "Sure I can already fully charge in 8 hours overnight every night or add 30 to 35 miles of range per hour on a 48 amp EVSE, but I really really want to be able to fully charge from zero to 100% in about 4 1/2 hours" to justify it.

OP
OP
wmras

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had to walk the local Porsche dealer through the process. They were unaware of the kit and the first quote was for $9,500 because they quoted all the pieces separately. They charged $5,000 when aware of the kit.

They did a beautiful job, including making the hood fit better than the factory installation. It was their first upgrade installation and took over a week because a front crash bumper recall was released two days before the upgrade started (fortuitus for them because much of the front had to be removed for the crash bumper recall).

OP
OP
wmras

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have to be of a mindset to say "Sure I can already fully charge in 8 hours overnight every night or add 30 to 35 miles of range per hour on a 48 amp EVSE, but I really really want to be able to fully charge from zero to 100% in about 4 1/2 hours" to justify it.
Not really. Our goal had nothing to do with fast charging at home. There were three reasons for us:
  1. A novice could charge the car without a phone.
  2. Cell phone reception has been poor at many chargers we visit while on Porsche club outings.
  3. Curbside chargers that use 100A service are starting to be more common (future proofing).

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Not really. Our goal had nothing to do with fast charging at home. There were three reasons for us:
  2. Cell phone reception has been poor at many chargers we visit while on Porsche club outings.
  3. Curbside chargers that use 100A service are starting to be more common (future proofing).
I do not begrudge anyone the choices they make with their Taycan. No one need justify their choices to anyone but themselves. I provided my perspective and I freely admit I had not considered the points you make.

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
Had to walk the local Porsche dealer through the process. They were unaware of the kit and the first quote was for $9,500 because they quoted all the pieces separately. They charged $5,000 when aware of the kit.

They did a beautiful job, including making the hood fit better than the factory installation. It was their first upgrade installation and took over a week because a front crash bumper recall was released two days before the upgrade started (fortuitus for them because much of the front had to be removed for the crash bumper recall).
Thanks for the info

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Note also that the 150kW option is a 400v DC to 800v DC voltage booster and not a charger (hence the low cost nature of the option) . This upgrades the standard 50kW DC 400v charger. Entirely separate to the AC onboard charger upgrade.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
There is one other advantage to Plug & Charge – at least here in Europe – often a charger is functional but the touch screen isn't working. They are exposed to the elements and that seems to damage many touch screens over time.

With Plug & Charge you don't need to go near the screen itself to get it delivering power.

This has happened many times to me at IONITY stations. I'll pull into a busy station (maybe with queues) and see one of the stalls is unoccupied. I'll get out and start pulling the cable to my Taycan and someone will say to me: "that station isn't working".

I'll continue anyways and folks will be amazed when the charger clicks on and starts delivering power – as it was the screen, RFID reader, cell connectivity or something else that Plug & Charge doesn't require that was broken.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
There is one other advantage to Plug & Charge – at least here in Europe – often a charger is functional but the touch screen isn't working. They are exposed to the elements and that seems to damage many touch screens over time.

With Plug & Charge you don't need to go near the screen itself to get it delivering power.

This has happened many times to me at IONITY stations. I'll pull into a busy station (maybe with queues) and see one of the stalls is unoccupied. I'll get out and start pulling the cable to my Taycan and someone will say to me: "that station isn't working".

I'll continue anyways and folks will be amazed when the charger clicks on and starts delivering power – as it was the screen, RFID reader, cell connectivity or something else that Plug & Charge doesn't require that was broken.
I had exactly this at Ionity in Germany yesterday. Screen wasn’t working. Didn’t accept plug and charge however. Tried the Porsche RFID card and it started.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It's now an option that can be added at your dealership for a phenomenal amount of money.

I think the OP got the upgrade primarily for the plug-and-charge capability.

PS> I personally like the 19.2KW charger. Got it on both our EV's at home. Not a must have, but a nice to have. We do have 80A charging in our garage. Faster charging proves convenient from time to time.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
22 kW public charging remains popular in Ireland – almost every small town and village has a few. They work well when stopping off for lunch/dinner or using them where a hotel doesn't have destination charging.

Being able to pull 2x the energy from them as most EVs is great here!

Porsche Taycan Does upgrade 22 kW charger kit include DC 150 kW onboard charger option? Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.12.27

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
euro question; I've heard both Ireland and France have a lot of 22 kW public chargers? is that true (we know it is for Ireland given above post)

is/are there other euro countries that have a lot of 22 kW AC chargers? or is it just Ireland/France?

_IF_ your countries infrastructure has 22 kw/19.2 kW infrastructure this is a GREAT option NO DOUBT!!!

North America lacks a robust/common 19.2 kW L2/AC infrastructure and more is not being built in any concerted manner…

I love FASTER charging - but only if you can actually take advantage of it.
Sponsored